Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 476848 times)

K8teebug

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #555 on: November 26, 2012, 09:54:12 am »
Talked with an Orioles rep yesterday and she said they will probably offer their holiday 4 or 6 pack again.  Gets you 4 games at the beginning of the season and opening day.  Pretty fun way to start the season.

atomicfront

« Reply #556 on: November 26, 2012, 12:33:46 pm »
Talked with an Orioles rep yesterday and she said they will probably offer their holiday 4 or 6 pack again.  Gets you 4 games at the beginning of the season and opening day.  Pretty fun way to start the season.

I am thinking of getting a 13 game plan... I wonder when those go on sale?

shemptiness

« Reply #557 on: November 26, 2012, 01:44:23 pm »
2013 marks the 25th straight year of my mini plan.  There have been quite a few times I considered not renewing it.   

K8teebug

« Reply #558 on: November 26, 2012, 02:56:59 pm »
You can get a 13 game plan now, I believe.

shemptiness

« Reply #559 on: December 11, 2012, 10:12:48 am »
No price increase on 2013 seasons.  Yay, O's. 

K8teebug

« Reply #560 on: December 11, 2012, 10:47:52 am »
They are also offering the holiday 5 pack.  110 gets you opening day, 4 vouchers for upper box tickets in april and may, and a ticket to fanfest (not sure that it's the early entry ticket or not).

don't know who goes to fanfest, but it's really fun!  I love the giveaway room!

Sad about Reynolds going to the Indians, but I realize the O's didn't want to pay him the 11 million.

K8teebug

« Reply #561 on: December 11, 2012, 10:48:17 am »
they also switched to tickets.com for ticket sales because of the ticketmaster crap.

shemptiness

« Reply #562 on: December 11, 2012, 10:59:22 am »
Reynolds only got $6M plus incentives from Cleveland.  The Orioles probably could've had him for that, but obviously didn't want him.  Too many strikeouts, I guess.  He played a solid 1B though.

K8teebug

« Reply #563 on: December 11, 2012, 11:07:23 am »
He did.  I know all my fellow O's fans are sad that he's gone.

atomicfront

« Reply #564 on: December 11, 2012, 01:05:07 pm »
Reynolds only got $6M plus incentives from Cleveland.  The Orioles probably could've had him for that, but obviously didn't want him.  Too many strikeouts, I guess.  He played a solid 1B though.

Mark Reynolds has to be the worst regular  player I have seen in an Orioles uniform.  He has been replacement level player according to the stats last 3 years.  So if you believe that he is just worth league minimum.  I think his awful defense and high strike outs and the  fact that he sucked for all but 3 weeks last year that is he is much worse than a replacement level player. 

atomicfront

« Reply #565 on: December 11, 2012, 01:07:28 pm »
They are also offering the holiday 5 pack.  110 gets you opening day, 4 vouchers for upper box tickets in april and may, and a ticket to fanfest (not sure that it's the early entry ticket or not).

don't know who goes to fanfest, but it's really fun!  I love the giveaway room!

Sad about Reynolds going to the Indians, but I realize the O's didn't want to pay him the 11 million.

I would go for this but I don't want to sit in the upper deck for the other games.  They should offer other ticket options for the vouchers.  Maybe pay a little more and get lower boxes for non-opening day games.  I most likely will get 13 game pack.  Last year I was able to get Standing Room only tickets for opening day off ticketmaster and just found some empty seats and sat in them all game. 

K8teebug

« Reply #566 on: December 11, 2012, 01:11:01 pm »
I don't care where I sit.  I just love going there!

vansmack

« Reply #567 on: December 19, 2012, 02:32:16 pm »
Well if a team loses a top player this year they only get one pick as opposed to two in previous years.  And I think they have to offer the player 13.5 million to even get the one pick.  So some of the suckier teams could end up with nothing for their player.  So if he is a pending free agent that they have no desire to sign there is no reason to not trade him.

There's always risks/rewards on both sides, but with the Wild Card teams only guaranteed one game from here on out, and not necessarily a home game, I still think the risk is greater for the team that's trying to pick up the guy in the last few months of his contract this season.

We're certainly not going to see the top prospect type deal like we did last season (say, Zach Wheeler for Carlos Beltran) if the team that nabs the star player doesn't get the supplemental pick to replace the talent lost.  It's just no longer worth it.

Buster Olney wrote a great article about how this is playing out this off-season (I'd link but it's behind a paywall and too long to copy and paste).  There is no coincidence that some mid-level talent, but not great players, are stuck in limbo at the moment because of this new rule.  Give up a draft pick for Greinke or Hamilton?  Sure.  But Rafael Soriano, Swisher, LaRoche, Lohse, Bourn?  Maybe not.

The real winners?  Those that were traded midseason or not given a qualifying offer: Napoli, Dempster, Anibal Sanchez, Victorino...no draft pick is attached to them.  And, no coincidence they've all signed.

It might also explain why LaRoche has sat for weeks on his 2-year offer from the Nats and why the O's haven't countered with more - that's a valuable draft pick.
27>34

K8teebug

« Reply #568 on: December 19, 2012, 02:33:28 pm »
Interesting article today in the sun about how the orioles seem to always hit the dollar store.

shemptiness

« Reply #569 on: December 19, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »
Interesting article today in the sun about how the orioles seem to always hit the dollar store.

I really wish they didn't charge for their online content.