Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 477031 times)

vansmack

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #570 on: December 19, 2012, 03:54:16 pm »
I really wish they didn't charge for their online content. 

Are the Orioles getting left behind in the AL East?
While Toronto, Boston have gone on spending sprees, Duquette stays patient

Ads by Google
Google Nexus 7
Now with up to 32GB of storage. Thin, light, portable. Learn more.
play.google.com

Peter Schmuck
5:56 p.m. EST, December 18, 2012

If this is December, then there are a lot of Orioles fans who are wondering the same thing.

Why is it that every year at this time, the other American League East teams do their holiday shopping at Lord &Taylor and the Orioles seem to do most of theirs at the dollar store?

It's a fair question, considering that the Toronto Blue Jays are on a spending spree of such magnitude that it might impact the currency exchange rate between the United States and Canada, and the Boston Red Sox are buying up average players for $13 million apiece per season.

Even the Tampa Bay Rays have pulled off a major deal, trading starting pitcher James Shields to upgrade their soft offensive attack, which is why you're probably getting the gnawing feeling that if the Orioles don't do something significant soon, they may get left behind.

The Orioles went to the Winter Meetings and came back with left-hander T.J. McFarland, who they picked up in the Rule 5 draft, which is the Major League Baseball equivalent of a swap meet. Their other outside acquisitions this winter have all been low-profile guys who could end up on next season's Baltimore-Norfolk taxi squad.

Now, there are all sorts of possible explanations for the way the Orioles have gone about this offseason, from the cynical fan favorite ? they're still cheap and indecisive ? to the happier conclusion that this is pretty much the way baseball operations guru Dan Duquette did business a year ago and things turned out pretty well.

The acquisition of another young candidate for the major league rotation will make perfect sense if the Orioles end up using one or two of their other young arms to pull off a significant deal for a middle-of-the-order hitter ... or if they were just looking to have a third player on their roster with catchy initials instead of a first name.

The hesitation to throw a big three-year contract at free-agent first baseman Adam LaRoche can be explained away by real budget considerations during an offseason the O's entered with the most arbitration-eligible players in either league. LaRoche also would cost them their first-round pick in next year's draft, which is no small thing for a team bent on building a broad foundation of young talent for the long run.

That's all logical enough, but the Orioles would be foolish to think the world is going to stand still while they wait for the next growth spurt from their newest wave of minor league prospects. If they want to double-down on last year's success and keep the attendance and television ratings on the upswing, it's going to take more than reclamation projects like Trayvon Robinson and Conor Jackson to keep stay near the top of the AL East.

Remember, the Orioles ran up a statistically improbable string of 16 straight extra-inning victories and had the best record in major league history in one-run games. That's a tribute to their toughness, chemistry and terrific manager, but the odds of both those things happening again next season aren't much better than that Powerball ticket you've got stuffed behind the Oriole-themed credit card in your wallet.

Duquette has been saying all along that he is trying to acquire a legitimate power bat and you can't count him out with seven weeks still remaining until the opening of training camps. He did his best work last year ? signing Taiwanese pitcher Wei-Yin Chen and acquiring starter Jason Hammel ? in January and early February.

The flavor of this month is LaRoche, who is insisting on a big three-year deal and probably will end up back with the Nationals anyway. The Orioles are believed to be interested, but reluctant to give up the 24th overall pick in the draft next June and probably a bit concerned about his age (33) and durability a year after playing just 43 games in 2011.

If Duquette has something good up his sleeve, those are all good reasons to stand down with LaRoche, but he looks like a near-perfect fit at first base and the kind of bat the O's need to protect Adam Jones and Matt Wieters in the lineup.

Do you give up a late first-round pick and a bunch of money for that?

If you don't want to get left behind, you just might.

Read more from columnist Peter Schmuck on his blog, "The Schmuck Stops Here" at baltimoresun.com/schmuckblog and listen when he co-hosts "The Week in Review" at noon Fridays on WBAL (1090 AM) and at wbal.com.
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #571 on: December 19, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
the one thing i like about the orioles are tickets are cheap.  and haven't been raised in 5 years. you can get a 5 buck ticket on friday night and move down to the lower box seats after the first inning.  If they start signing all sorts of big free agents they will start charing a lot more for tickets.  And there is no gurantee they will be any better.  Larouche provided nothing in 2011.   That could happen again.

K8teebug

« Reply #572 on: December 20, 2012, 08:59:03 am »
I am always amazed when people complain about how much it costs to go to Camden Yards.  You can get a 10 dollar ticket, take in all your own food and non-alcoholic beverages, and park for 8 bucks (or take the light rail).  I didn't realize how cheap they were until I started going to other stadiums.

Is it spring training yet?

Anyone going to fanfest?  I will be there!

hutch

« Reply #573 on: December 20, 2012, 01:45:27 pm »
why would anyone complain about cost of going to camden yards.. its a great value for sure..

my friend has a season ticket package for a while and i used to get to go somewhat regularly.. but he gave it up..they were great seats too..about 15-20 rows behind home plate.. i mean straight line behind catcher..

K8teebug

« Reply #574 on: December 20, 2012, 02:56:44 pm »
The tickets I get for free a few times a season are 11 rows behind home plate.  So spoiled!

K8teebug

« Reply #575 on: December 20, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »
I would also like to add that you can sit there for about 55/60 a ticket regular price.  Most stadiums, those seats start at 250.

hutch

« Reply #576 on: December 20, 2012, 03:38:30 pm »
I would also like to add that you can sit there for about 55/60 a ticket regular price.  Most stadiums, those seats start at 250.

exactly right..

James Ford

« Reply #577 on: December 20, 2012, 04:01:15 pm »

The average price of a ticket for a Red Sox home game is $151.10, according to Chris Matcovich at ticket aggregator TiqIQ.com. The company both collects and analyzes data about tickets being sold on the secondary market, where you?ll find the most opportunities to get a ticket for an in-demand game as well as see where people are dumping tickets below face value.

After the Red Sox, the teams starting the 2012 baseball season with the highest average home ticket prices are the Chicago Cubs ($108.70), the Philadelphia Phillies, ($100.71), the New York Yankees ($90.21) and the Washington Nationals ($88.24). On the flipside, you can score the cheapest tickets (all about $50 on average ? meaning there are plenty of cheaper seats) if you go to home games of the Milwaukee Brewers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Dodgers and Cincinnati Reds.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/04/04/average-ticket-prices-spike-for-baseballs-top-teams/#ixzz2FckHsXX9

vansmack

« Reply #578 on: December 20, 2012, 04:21:38 pm »
I rarely have to buy baseball tickets because, yes, I'm that charming and people enjoy my company at baseball games, but when I am forced to buy tickets I have perfected the StubHub game and buy plenty of seats being dumped in the last 3-4 hours before game time.
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #579 on: December 20, 2012, 05:24:43 pm »

they are 48 dollars if you get a season ticket plan.. Including the 13 game plan.   

atomicfront

« Reply #580 on: December 20, 2012, 05:26:17 pm »

The average price of a ticket for a Red Sox home game is $151.10, according to Chris Matcovich at ticket aggregator TiqIQ.com. The company both collects and analyzes data about tickets being sold on the secondary market, where you?ll find the most opportunities to get a ticket for an in-demand game as well as see where people are dumping tickets below face value.

After the Red Sox, the teams starting the 2012 baseball season with the highest average home ticket prices are the Chicago Cubs ($108.70), the Philadelphia Phillies, ($100.71), the New York Yankees ($90.21) and the Washington Nationals ($88.24). On the flipside, you can score the cheapest tickets (all about $50 on average ? meaning there are plenty of cheaper seats) if you go to home games of the Milwaukee Brewers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Dodgers and Cincinnati Reds.

Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/04/04/average-ticket-prices-spike-for-baseballs-top-teams/#ixzz2FckHsXX9

I couldn't imagine spending that much ($151.10) to see a baseball game.  People sure like to waste their money.

K8teebug

« Reply #581 on: December 21, 2012, 09:35:13 am »
I would spend that much to go to Wrigley again.  We've been to Fenway, but our friends treated us to the tickets.

K8teebug

« Reply #582 on: December 21, 2012, 09:35:57 am »
we also plan vacations around baseball...and national parks.

atomicfront

« Reply #583 on: December 21, 2012, 10:30:07 am »
I would spend that much to go to Wrigley again.  We've been to Fenway, but our friends treated us to the tickets.

i went to wrigley and spent 75 bucks for lower level seats near third base line.  I wouldn't pay that again as I just wanted to see wrigley park.  I probably would spend that much to go to fenway one time but I wouldn't pay that for more than one game. Oh and they seem to have only super crappy beer at wrigley.  And the bathrooms are a disgrace.  It is a cool park to see a game but I wouldn't want to go there all the time even at 20 bucks a game.  Camden yards is definitely a way better park.

i actually had my first kiss with this girl I ended up living with for a year in the wrigley field parking lot.  It would have made a good story if I we hadn't broken up.  didn't go to a game there just parked in the employees lot because it was empty. 

K8teebug

« Reply #584 on: December 21, 2012, 10:58:44 am »
I love the crappy beer at Wrigley.  I've been there twice and it's one of my favorite places to go!  The Gingerman across the street is one of my favorite bars in Chicago.

I'm glad I went to Fenway, but I don't feel the need to go there again.

I'm hoping we can follow the Orioles out to San Fran and San Diego this spring, but we shall see...