Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 477464 times)

James Ford

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #705 on: April 28, 2013, 07:23:38 pm »
I don't have cable tv...any reason given why Johnson wasn't pitching today in a save situation bottom of the ninth?

Is there a better starting five than MClouth-Machado-Markakis-Jones-Davis? Noiw if Buck could get the other bums to hit, they'd have something.

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #706 on: April 28, 2013, 08:58:03 pm »
I don't have cable tv...any reason given why Johnson wasn't pitching today in a save situation bottom of the ninth?

Is there a better starting five than MClouth-Machado-Markakis-Jones-Davis? Noiw if Buck could get the other bums to hit, they'd have something.

Johnson had pitched 5 of the last 6 days, I think.  He should have had Saturday off, as the O's took a 4 run lead into the 9th, but Strop immediately crapped the bed and Johnson had to pitch.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:29:14 pm by Nigel Tufnel »

vansmack

« Reply #707 on: April 29, 2013, 01:55:27 am »
Why do they cut this stat off at 1961?

You'll have to ask the  Elias specifically, but 1961 was the first time MLB expanded since taking on the American League in 1901. Over the next decade, MLB added 7 teams, greatly increasing the talent pool, which in turn caused some weird statistical anomalies. Since then, some statisticians refer to feats performed today in comparison to only those other feats that happened "since the expansion era" which is usually considered to be 1961-1976ish.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #708 on: April 29, 2013, 08:13:55 am »
Thanks for that explanation. It seems like that stat is one that they should carry back further if they want to make it sound impressive.

Why do they cut this stat off at 1961?

You'll have to ask the  Elias specifically, but 1961 was the first time MLB expanded since taking on the American League in 1901. Over the next decade, MLB added 7 teams, greatly increasing the talent pool, which in turn caused some weird statistical anomalies. Since then, some statisticians refer to feats performed today in comparison to only those other feats that happened "since the expansion era" which is usually considered to be 1961-1976ish.

shemptiness

« Reply #709 on: April 29, 2013, 08:19:37 am »
There's no hope in Strop.  Something's gotta give.

K8teebug

« Reply #710 on: April 29, 2013, 08:19:47 am »

Johnson had pitched 5 of the last 6 days, I think.  He should have had Saturday off, as the O's took a 4 run lead into the 9th, but Strop immediately crapped the bed and Johnson had to pitch.

Strop needs to go.

James Ford

« Reply #711 on: April 29, 2013, 08:42:00 am »
Seven earned runs in eight innings pitched. Big deal. You probably said the same thing about Brian Matusz in 2011.

shemptiness

« Reply #712 on: April 29, 2013, 08:58:29 am »
Seven earned runs in eight innings pitched. Big deal. You probably said the same thing about Brian Matusz in 2011.

This goes back to last year.  They couldn't rely on him down the stretch or in the playoffs.  He seems totally clueless right now.

The unfortunate thing is he's out of options.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:00:27 am by Shemp »

atomicfront

« Reply #713 on: April 29, 2013, 09:32:30 am »
People were saying last year that Johnson should be traded and Strop should be the closer.  Now everyone says he should be released.  Sports fans are so insane.  Let the guy work out his kinks.  The Orioles have a great record.  Winning 3 out of 4 in Oakland on the road is impressive.

K8teebug

« Reply #714 on: April 29, 2013, 09:58:39 am »

No.  I love Brian Matusz!  Strop cannot control the ball, he cannot field the ball, he just looks lost out there.  Time to send him down to the minors to get the kinks worked out....I think he'll be back.

And I really like Strop in general.  He was super nice at Fanfest and has a great smile!

atomicfront

« Reply #715 on: April 29, 2013, 10:01:16 am »

No.  I love Brian Matusz!  Strop cannot control the ball, he cannot field the ball, he just looks lost out there.  Time to send him down to the minors to get the kinks worked out....I think he'll be back.

And I really like Strop in general.  He was super nice at Fanfest and has a great smile!

If you send him down to  the minors he won't be back.  He is out of options so you will to DFA him and any team can claim him off waivers or he can refuse the assignment and be a free agent.  Strop is too good to make it through waivers. 

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #716 on: April 29, 2013, 11:00:44 am »
If you send him down to  the minors he won't be back.  He is out of options so you will to DFA him and any team can claim him off waivers or he can refuse the assignment and be a free agent.  Strop is too good to make it through waivers. 

Yeah, Strop by himself isn't necessarily a huge problem - he's talented enough that you have to give him time to work it out in Kevin Gregg-style low leverage situations.  But having McFarland and Hunter, who also can't be counted on, in the same bullpen, plus having none of the starters able to go more than 6 innings is just asking for trouble.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:02:22 am by Nigel Tufnel »

vansmack

« Reply #717 on: April 29, 2013, 12:34:29 pm »

This.  I don't think I'm going out on a limb in saying Anaheim would claim him for sure at $500k and Arb-1 eligibility not until 2014.

having none of the starters able to go more than 6 innings is just asking for trouble.

And this.  IT doesn't matter who's in your pen if the starters don't give them a break, especially on this road trip.  But fear not - you've got Anaheim soon, and we're great for starters going deep. 
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #718 on: April 30, 2013, 08:25:23 am »
Should have re-signed Joe Saunders!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #719 on: April 30, 2013, 09:17:53 am »
He pitched really well while he was here.  Not too shabby last night, either.