Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 477625 times)

vansmack

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #735 on: May 10, 2013, 02:27:26 pm »
I wasn't suggesting having him take away at bats from Machado or Davis. I want to DH him in place of Reimold. And if he could play second base...

But he would because as Shemp pointed out, he wants to play in the field, yet he's an atrocious fielder.  You don't need that in your clubhouse.  You needed Thome to teach Reynolds the value of DH, but with the expansion of interleague play, Reynolds knew it would diminish his value.

Second base?  He had the most errors of any 3B in 2011 (statistically he was close to the worst fielder in the last 10 years in 2011 at ALL positions), had the worst range amongst 1B last year, and he would never be allowed to go anywhere near the middle infield.  But I did get a good laugh out of that.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #736 on: May 10, 2013, 02:34:36 pm »
Oh I wasn't suggesting putting him in the field. Sign him and play him where you want to play him. It's the manager's call what position the player plays, not the players call, right? That's why I played right field in little league.

I wasn't suggesting having him take away at bats from Machado or Davis. I want to DH him in place of Reimold. And if he could play second base...

But he would because as Shemp pointed out, he wants to play in the field, yet he's an atrocious fielder.  You don't need that in your clubhouse.  You needed Thome to teach Reynolds the value of DH, but with the expansion of interleague play, Reynolds knew it would diminish his value.

Second base?  He had the most errors of any 3B in 2011 (statistically he was close to the worst fielder in the last 10 years in 2011 at ALL positions), had the worst range amongst 1B last year, and he would never be allowed to go anywhere near the middle infield.  But I did get a good laugh out of that.

vansmack

« Reply #737 on: May 10, 2013, 05:23:38 pm »
Oh I wasn't suggesting putting him in the field. Sign him and play him where you want to play him. It's the manager's call what position the player plays, not the players call, right? That's why I played right field in little league.

Actually, that reminds me.  His option was declined at $11 million so clearly he wasn't worth the $11 million given that he signed for $6 million elsewhere, and the O's couldn't sign him until May because they non-tendered him, just in case nobody else signed him and they got stuck with the bill.

He clearly would have created problems given his desire to play the field and Showalter didn't want him in the club house causing problems.  That's the best way to deal with millionaires.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #738 on: May 12, 2013, 07:38:51 pm »
I was thinking that as well as the O's are doing, they still can ill afford a major injury. And now their best pitcher goes down. Ouch.

atomicfront

« Reply #739 on: May 12, 2013, 09:30:38 pm »
I can't stand Mark Reynolds.  He will be back hitting around .200 before the season is out.  With his usual 200 strike outs and a ton of errors.  The guys who replaced him at third and first our doing a lot better than him anyway.  Let him botch a bunch of plays in Cleveland we are doing just fine without him.

James Ford

« Reply #740 on: May 12, 2013, 09:33:43 pm »
As bad as he ends up, his average will still be 20 points higher than Reimold and he'll have twice as many home runs.

I can't stand Mark Reynolds.  He will be back hitting around .200 before the season is out.  With his usual 200 strike outs and a ton of errors.  The guys who replaced him at third and first our doing a lot better than him anyway.  Let him botch a bunch of plays in Cleveland we are doing just fine without him.

atomicfront

« Reply #741 on: May 12, 2013, 10:00:34 pm »
As bad as he ends up, his average will still be 20 points higher than Reimold and he'll have twice as many home runs.

The average point is debatable.  Anyway Betemit was supposed to be the Orioles DH.  I think Urrieta will be up shortly.  He is hitting .352 in AA.  Don't see him being on the farm much longer.  That could be the end of Reimold as an Oriole.

shemptiness

« Reply #742 on: May 12, 2013, 10:29:10 pm »
Somebody's got a serious man crush on Mark Reynolds.  He'll revert to form soon.   

vansmack

« Reply #743 on: May 13, 2013, 01:42:14 pm »

I disagree on the batting average, agree on the home runs, but is that worth 6 times the salary?

I would argue no.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #744 on: May 13, 2013, 03:25:29 pm »
I find it hard to believe he could't afford the $1,000 fine, though let's be honest, common sense should have prevailed here.  Oh wait, we're talking about MLB....
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #745 on: May 13, 2013, 04:24:55 pm »
I was thinking that as well as the O's are doing, they still can ill afford a major injury. And now their best pitcher goes down. Ouch.

Right oblique strain

"Duquette estimated that it would take "more than a couple weeks" for Chen to return."

Ouch ouch

James Ford

« Reply #746 on: May 17, 2013, 11:27:38 pm »
Sure could use some starting pitching right about now.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #747 on: May 18, 2013, 09:57:15 am »
Definitely.  Hammels got robbed on a call that would have been the 3rd out and gave up a 3-run dinger to the next batter.  It was all downhill from there.

James Ford

« Reply #748 on: May 18, 2013, 07:15:07 pm »
Closer implosion. Painful to watch.

shemptiness

« Reply #749 on: May 18, 2013, 10:24:13 pm »
He was so perfect for so long.  Couldn't last forever. 

But the ship is definitely taking on water.  Is it Gausman time, or is that the panic switch?