Author Topic: ORIOLES  (Read 467703 times)

vansmack

Re: ORIOLES
« Reply #870 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:16 pm »
Well the Angels didn't even make the playoffs.  So That is why Cabrera won the award. 

Oh, Rookie. 

Where shall I start?  How about records:

2012 Angels: 89-73
2012 Tigers: 88-74

What?!  The Angels had a better record and only missed the playoff's because they didn't play in the AL Central?  Well let's give it to Cabrera then because he clearly was wise to pick a weak division.  So because they had 40% of their games against 3 of the worst 4 records in the AL, he deserves the MVP?  If the Angels only had to fend off the White Sox, they would have made the playoffs too.  Or were located somewhere else.

Or I could just follow the instructions given to voters (emphasis added):

Dear Voter:

There is no clear-cut definition of what Most Valuable means. It is up to the individual voter to decide who was the Most Valuable Player in each league to his team. The MVP need not come from a division winner or other playoff qualifier.

The rules of the voting remain the same as they were written on the first ballot in 1931:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.

2. Number of games played.

3. General character, disposition, loyalty and effort.

4. Former winners are eligible.

5. Members of the committee may vote for more than one member of a team.

You are also urged to give serious consideration to all your selections, from 1 to 10. A 10th-place vote can influence the outcome of an election. You must fill in all 10 places on your ballot. Only regular-season performances are to be taken into consideration.

Keep in mind that all players are eligible for MVP, including pitchers and designated hitters.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #871 on: June 13, 2013, 12:46:22 pm »
Well the Angels didn't even make the playoffs.  So That is why Cabrera won the award. 

Actually, this guy goes even further:

Beyond that, though, Trout's team was simply better than Cabrera's. The Angels had a better record than the Tigers by one game, and they had the better run differential. The Angels were five games over .500 against the AL Central, while the Tigers were seven games under .500 against the AL West. And that brings us to strength of schedule.

In 2012, the teams of the AL West were a combined 54 games over .500 against teams from outside the division and 28 games over .500 against Cabrera's AL Central. Additionally, the AL West had a winning mark against all comers -- the AL East, the AL Central and interleague opponents. The teams of the AL Central, meantime, were 52 games below .500 against opponents from outside the division. Also keep in mind that this is the era of the unbalanced schedule. As a consequence, Trout's Angels played just 66 games against teams with losing records (average opponents' winning percentage: .513), while Cabrera's Tigers played 88 games against teams with losing records (average opponents' winning percentage: .495).

There's simply no comparison on this front. The Tigers made the playoffs because they were able to fend off the middling White Sox. The Angels failed to make the playoffs because they weren't able to fend off the A's and Rangers, postseason clubs, both.

So if you invoke the "his team made the playoffs" argument in this instance, then what you're really doing is rewarding Cabrera for his refined taste in weak opponents.
Source: CBSSports
27>34

hutch

« Reply #872 on: June 13, 2013, 01:00:16 pm »
why have people vote for MVP anyways? Just go by Smackie's statistical formula...

atomicfront

« Reply #873 on: June 13, 2013, 01:06:51 pm »
Anyway third base is a lot harder position to play than outfield.  And Cabrera moved to third because Prince Fielder was signed.  I mean Cabrera wasn't great but he wasn't bad for a guy who played the previous three seasons playing first base.  Trout's fielding this year is way down.  WAR isn't an exact science and .2 war isn't that much difference.  I will go with the guy who won the triple crown.

vansmack

« Reply #874 on: June 13, 2013, 01:09:12 pm »
why have people vote for MVP anyways? Just go by Smackie's statistical formula...

Because MLB loves debates - keeps them in the press.
27>34

James Ford

« Reply #875 on: June 13, 2013, 01:10:00 pm »
Why go by statistical formulas? Just make Derek Jeter MVP for every year. He's the guy the women want to bed, and the men want to be.

atomicfront

« Reply #876 on: June 13, 2013, 01:12:38 pm »
Why go by statistical formulas? Just make Derek Jeter MVP for every year. He's the guy the women want to bed, and the men want to be.

I don't want to be Derek Jeter.  I can't stand that guy.  I would want to be Tom Brady but wrong sport.

vansmack

« Reply #877 on: June 13, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »
To bring this back to the O's - do not let Chris Davis participate in the HR Derby.

You've been warned.
27>34

shemptiness

« Reply #878 on: June 13, 2013, 01:22:46 pm »
To bring this back to the O's - do not let Chris Davis participate in the HR Derby.

You've been warned.

No debate there.  Totally messes up your swing.

James Ford

« Reply #879 on: June 14, 2013, 02:19:11 pm »
Are Pearce, Dickerson, Valencia, and Reimold so good that they can't give this guy a chance?

Triple-A Norfolk first baseman Travis Ishikawa, who was named the Orioles? organizational player of the month for May, has asked through his representation for an early opt-out of his contract, but it has not been granted.
He can officially opt-out of his minor league deal after Saturday ? and that almost certainly will happen. The 29-year-old left-handed hitter was not in Thursday?s lineup for the Tides.

?We had requested to their front office that if they weren?t going to call him up, we?d like to    exercise the out a few days early, but they haven?t granted that,? said Ishikawa?s agent, Jim McDowell. ?So he is in a holding period right now. Potentially, they could make a trade before Saturday or call him up.?

Ishikawa is batting .316 with seven homers, 31 RBIs and a .939 on-base-plus slugging percentage in 49 games. He was the organization?s hitter of the month for May when he batted .413 with all seven homers in 21 games during the month.

But he is behind big league home run leader Chris Davis at first base, and the Orioles seem content with using multiple players at designated hitter, including Steve Pearce, Chris Dickerson, Danny Valencia and the injured Nolan Reimold, among others. So it seems like a real long shot that Ishikawa will be called up ? meaning his time in the organization is ending.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-travis-ishikawa-asked-for-early-opt-out-20130613,0,4723595.story#ixzz2WDRUT567

vansmack

« Reply #880 on: June 14, 2013, 04:42:17 pm »
Ishikawa is a classic AAAA player. I watched him hit .250 season after season in SF while they were waiting for him to turn the corner.  A .360 AAA hitter means he will be no better than a .250 hitter in the bigs.  He's probably more expensive than than the other two who aren't on the DL...
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #881 on: June 14, 2013, 04:52:50 pm »
Ishikawa is a classic AAAA player. I watched him hit .250 season after season in SF while they were waiting for him to turn the corner.  A .360 AAA hitter means he will be no better than a .250 hitter in the bigs.  He's probably more expensive than than the other two who aren't on the DL...

He is probably better than mark Reynolds.. I guess he was insurance if Davis had problems fielding.

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #882 on: June 14, 2013, 05:23:47 pm »

Depends on the AAA league.  .900 OPS in the hitter-friendly PCL is very different than in Norfolk, which is an extreme pitchers' park.

Nigel Tufnel

« Reply #883 on: June 14, 2013, 05:25:23 pm »

Depends on the AAA league.  .900 OPS in the hitter-friendly PCL is very different than in Norfolk, which is an extreme pitchers' park.  You're probably right about Ishikawa, though.

K8teebug

« Reply #884 on: June 17, 2013, 08:49:54 am »
Dickerson is really good.  Coming into his own.

I like Pearce too.

Isn't Reimold still on the DL?