Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1168370 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2012, 01:15:40 pm »
I do want every one of you to know that I have absolutely nothing personally against you.  No matter how much we agree or disagree on any/all subjects, I can still consider each of you friends and I do not think any less of you as a human being merely because we disagree.  I only hope that the same feeling can be reflected.

don't worry, RB, these debates are meaningless.

plus you have a much, much bigger shortcoming: you're a flyers fan.  YUCK!  how you can show your face 'round here... ;D

Agreed, this is not real life.  Go in peace, www.930.com/forum .

hutch

« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2012, 01:24:57 pm »
I have so much respect for the Marines.. I really do..

in fact I respect all troops

but i have to say I get tired of hearing all the time how much I owe our troops.. they get paid and choose FREELY to join... they get paid by my tax dollars to defend me and the rest of us.. if they don't want to they don't have to join... the way people talk about our troops you'd think they were doing it as a free public service or something..

Like I said: I respect a marine big time.. Congratulations Rat Bastard on raising a marine. I'd be proud to have either of my boys be a marine. But I wouldn't expect or see why people should be so grateful to my children, if they were marines, for becoming marines. (Having said that I am pretty much against all war these days.. the odds of having a war one actually needed to fight seemed so small these days.. most wars are manufactured with lies) Presumably you do it because you want to do it and have a calling for it much like anythign else. If you don't you'd get into another line of work. Or you do it because its your only ticket out of a dead end existence. I respect our servicemen and women big time but I don't sit around thinking how grateful I should be to them every waking moment and it gets tiresome to hear that I should. Let me add that it is not a bad career to get into... if you can move up the ladder you can do pretty good for yourself.

Now if you were drafted then its a bit different in my opinion. If someone is drafted and send to fight for me, against his will and he still does it courageously then I'd have to say I really owe that person big time.

Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing, without being rude becuase I'm not trying to be rude.. I respect our troops and marines / seals are like the top in my book.

hutch

« Reply #422 on: August 27, 2012, 01:57:34 pm »
i went to my local county fair last night.  had a blast.  fair food is the best.  the people there are the best.      but . . . i would really hate to have a daughter nowadays.  every middle school/freshman high school looking girl there, was dressed like a fucking jail bait whore. 

oh man I wish i'd checked this fair out!

I love that "fucking jail bait whore" look!

having said that I am glad I have two boys...

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #423 on: August 27, 2012, 02:40:39 pm »

but i have to say I get tired of hearing all the time how much I owe our troops.. they get paid and choose FREELY to join... they get paid by my tax dollars to defend me and the rest of us.. if they don't want to they don't have to join... the way people talk about our troops you'd think they were doing it as a free public service or something..

Like I said: I respect a marine big time.. Congratulations Rat Bastard on raising a marine. I'd be proud to have either of my boys be a marine. But I wouldn't expect or see why people should be so grateful to my children, if they were marines, for becoming marines. (Having said that I am pretty much against all war these days.. the odds of having a war one actually needed to fight seemed so small these days.. most wars are manufactured with lies) Presumably you do it because you want to do it and have a calling for it much like anythign else. If you don't you'd get into another line of work. Or you do it because its your only ticket out of a dead end existence. I respect our servicemen and women big time but I don't sit around thinking how grateful I should be to them every waking moment and it gets tiresome to hear that I should. Let me add that it is not a bad career to get into... if you can move up the ladder you can do pretty good for yourself.

Now if you were drafted then its a bit different in my opinion. If someone is drafted and send to fight for me, against his will and he still does it courageously then I'd have to say I really owe that person big time.

Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing, without being rude becuase I'm not trying to be rude.. I respect our troops and marines / seals are like the top in my book.

I couldn't agree more (and I served 10+ years in the Brit armed forces)
Same with cops and firefighters for that matter

It's a job they all had to APPLY for.

Thank you to all of them but enough of the hero worship already.

I have an issue with 'veterans preference' too. Now, I would look favorably on a veteran when hiring simply because of the work ethic that the military instills. But to have a program that forces people to hire them first unfairly discriminates against those who chose not to serve.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2012, 05:52:05 pm »
I do want every one of you to know that I have absolutely nothing personally against you.  No matter how much we agree or disagree on any/all subjects, I can still consider each of you friends and I do not think any less of you as a human being merely because we disagree.  I only hope that the same feeling can be reflected.

don't worry, RB, these debates are meaningless.

plus you have a much, much bigger shortcoming: you're a flyers fan.  YUCK!  how you can show your face 'round here... ;D

Now THAT made me smile.  In fact it literally made me LOL.  Anyway yeah I am a Flyers fan, but even more-so I am a hockey fan.  I even donate to Josh's beard-a-thon every year even though it goes to DC area hockey.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #425 on: August 27, 2012, 05:55:39 pm »

Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing, without being rude because I'm not trying to be rude.. I respect our troops and marines / seals are like the top in my book.

Hutch I do not mean to be picking nits here but it is Marine not marine.  That word is ALWAYS capitalized.  I understand your point.  At the same time, what they get paid is precious little.  It surely is not worth the fact that they are writing a check that is payable up to and including their lives.  What these men and women do IS what allows us to sit here and be jerk wads to each other then right after go out and grab a brew (or in my case a Mt Dew) together.  So yeah IMHO we do owe them a thank you.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #426 on: August 27, 2012, 05:57:30 pm »

I couldn't agree more (and I served 10+ years in the Brit armed forces)
Same with cops and firefighters for that matter

It's a job they all had to APPLY for.

Thank you to all of them but enough of the hero worship already.

I have an issue with 'veterans preference' too. Now, I would look favorably on a veteran when hiring simply because of the work ethic that the military instills. But to have a program that forces people to hire them first unfairly discriminates against those who chose not to serve.

I agree deeply about any law that gives any group hiring preference.  ALL decisions for ANY job should be based SOLELY on the ability of the applicants to do the job.  ANY law we pass saying that you can or cannot do otherwise absolutely influences that process.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #427 on: August 27, 2012, 05:59:14 pm »
i went to my local county fair last night.  had a blast.  fair food is the best.  the people there are the best.      but . . . i would really hate to have a daughter nowadays.  every middle school/freshman high school looking girl there, was dressed like a fucking jail bait whore. 

oh man I wish i'd checked this fair out!

I love that "fucking jail bait whore" look!

having said that I am glad I have two boys...

Ah the fair...  Elephant ears (funnel cakes) and your girl dressed up as trailer park whores!  LOL should have know TrailerParkWhores.com would be a web site too...
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #428 on: August 27, 2012, 06:45:19 pm »

Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm missing, without being rude because I'm not trying to be rude.. I respect our troops and marines / seals are like the top in my book.

Hutch I do not mean to be picking nits here but it is Marine not marine.  That word is ALWAYS capitalized.  I understand your point.  At the same time, what they get paid is precious little.  It surely is not worth the fact that they are writing a check that is payable up to and including their lives.  What these men and women do IS what allows us to sit here and be jerk wads to each other then right after go out and grab a brew (or in my case a Mt Dew) together.  So yeah IMHO we do owe them a thank you.

I have no idea how much troops get paid or what kind of benefits they get but with that rationale any amount they were to get paid would not be enough as life is priceless. At the end of the day it is a job and I think if someone picks a job, even if dangerous, at a specified pay rate then.. well, thank you but you did not have to pick that job. [ rereading this a few seconds after posting and I'm not satisified with it: obviously many many people who pick military service do so out of a desire to serve our country so I am very thankful they want to do that..my brother in law was an officer for a few years and I can't say enough about his backbone]

I'll tell you how much I respect our troops. I would never send them into harms way for no reason and I would never send them in harms way if I wasn't able to provide them the health care they need when they return from battle. I would never make up a war to send troops and I would get them out as quickly as possible. Having said that troops don't just fight wars; their mere existence helps keep you safe by deterring aggressors, etc.

But I think this whole "we must thank the troops every day" is just jingoistic baloney meant to keep the war machine going and eliminate war protests of any sort.

In any case a United States Marine is pretty fuckin' awesome. There is just no argument on that... congratulations.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:47:54 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2012, 06:52:13 pm »
speaking of the troops when are we going to have the New York City parade for the Iraq war veterans....its high time...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #430 on: August 27, 2012, 08:03:42 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/brian-mulligan-bath-salts-deutsche-bank-executive_n_1822018.html

read some of the comments to the story people left.  "he's rich, he deserved it" is sort of the undertones.  i feel we live in a scary time where some people don't trust or like others who are doing better than them in any way and so easily blame "the wealthy" for their own lackluster lives . . . god knows what they are willing to try.  i think the shift toward action from insanity started to spiral out of control with the whole fox news / drudge report / tea party revolution.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2012, 09:00:19 am »

I have no idea how much troops get paid or what kind of benefits they get but with that rationale any amount they were to get paid would not be enough as life is priceless. At the end of the day it is a job and I think if someone picks a job, even if dangerous, at a specified pay rate then.. well, thank you but you did not have to pick that job. [ rereading this a few seconds after posting and I'm not satisified with it: obviously many many people who pick military service do so out of a desire to serve our country so I am very thankful they want to do that..my brother in law was an officer for a few years and I can't say enough about his backbone]

I'll tell you how much I respect our troops. I would never send them into harms way for no reason and I would never send them in harms way if I wasn't able to provide them the health care they need when they return from battle. I would never make up a war to send troops and I would get them out as quickly as possible. Having said that troops don't just fight wars; their mere existence helps keep you safe by deterring aggressors, etc.

But I think this whole "we must thank the troops every day" is just jingoistic baloney meant to keep the war machine going and eliminate war protests of any sort.

In any case a United States Marine is pretty fuckin' awesome. There is just no argument on that... congratulations.

My current boss is an ex 20+ year U.S. Marine. Unfortunately he never left. His management skills are that of a boot camp drill seargeant. He barks, yells and belittles constantly. I've tried to remind him on several occasions that shit doesn't fly on civvy street but he can't help himself. For example, last week one of the porters left the windows open in a Range Rover then it pissed down and flooded the interior of the vehicle. This was his way of dealing with it..."YOU FUCKING MORON....YOU JUST COST ME A THOUSAND DOLLARS....I OUGHT TO RAM MY DICK UP YOUR ARSE.....FUCKING RETARD....FUCK UP LIKE THAT ONE MORE TIME AND YOU'LL END UP FACE DOWN IN THE CANAL OUT BACK....LEARN FUCKING ENGLISH SO YOU'LL KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I'M TALKING ABOUT" This was in the middle of the repair shop for all to witness. I can't believe someone hasn't reported him yet. I've told him had I wanted to be screamed at all day by a lunatic on a power rush I would've stayed in the armed forces and got myself a full pension.

That's the down side of hiring some ex-Marines...it tends to be Marines too.
Fortunately his screaming goes in one ear and out the other so doesn't bother me.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2012, 04:30:38 pm »
My current boss is an ex 20+ year U.S. Marine. Unfortunately he never left. His management skills are that of a boot camp drill seargeant. He barks, yells and belittles constantly. I've tried to remind him on several occasions that shit doesn't fly on civvy street but he can't help himself. For example, last week one of the porters left the windows open in a Range Rover then it pissed down and flooded the interior of the vehicle. This was his way of dealing with it..."YOU FUCKING MORON....YOU JUST COST ME A THOUSAND DOLLARS....I OUGHT TO RAM MY DICK UP YOUR ARSE.....FUCKING RETARD....FUCK UP LIKE THAT ONE MORE TIME AND YOU'LL END UP FACE DOWN IN THE CANAL OUT BACK....LEARN FUCKING ENGLISH SO YOU'LL KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I'M TALKING ABOUT" This was in the middle of the repair shop for all to witness. I can't believe someone hasn't reported him yet. I've told him had I wanted to be screamed at all day by a lunatic on a power rush I would've stayed in the armed forces and got myself a full pension.

Fortunately his screaming goes in one ear and out the other so doesn't bother me.

Again not to be nit picking but....

1) The Marine Corps has Drill Instructors, not Drill Sergeants.
2) No such thing as an ex-Marine, seriously there isn't.  :)
3) unfortunately we have superiors who went to the Atilla the Hun leadership school in all walks of life.  In this case it was merely exacerbated by the time in the Corps (IMHO).

4) (Almost forgot) GO FLYERS!
FUKIT

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »

3) unfortunately we have superiors who went to the Atilla the Hun leadership school in all walks of life.  In this case it was merely exacerbated by the time in the Corps (IMHO).

Not to be nit-picking but......

Once you hand in your uniform and id card...YOU'RE AN EX-MARINE...Seriously, get over yourselves.

Why don't Marines ever stand down. Not even for 15 minutes?
It takes too long to re-train them!!
 :P

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2012, 06:47:21 pm »

Not to be nit-picking but......

Once you hand in your uniform and id card...YOU'RE AN EX-MARINE...Seriously, get over yourselves.

Why don't Marines ever stand down. Not even for 15 minutes?
It takes too long to re-train them!!
 :P

You miss the point.  There are things you are taught in the Corps that never EVER leave you.  Its one of those "you wouldn't understand" things.

How do you tell a level headed Marine?
He can spit tobacco out of both corners of his mouth at the same time.

FUKIT