Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1167895 times)

azaghal1981

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #615 on: October 10, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »
Didn't he make racist remarks to the Bloc Party dude following a show once?

For the record, I'll take PiL over The Sex Pistols any day.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #616 on: October 10, 2012, 09:08:18 pm »
Didn't he make racist remarks to the Bloc Party dude following a show once?

For the record, I'll take PiL over The Sex Pistols any day.

hipster

azaghal1981

« Reply #617 on: October 10, 2012, 09:59:28 pm »
This article on Emily White is a good read. Amanda Palmer still sucks, though.
And David Lowery is a stupid buffoon and I still don't understand why his response to the White piece was praised so highly by almost everybody.

I'll be over here downloading some CVB albums.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #618 on: October 10, 2012, 11:43:37 pm »
This article on Emily White is a good read. Amanda Palmer still sucks, though.
And David Lowery is a stupid buffoon and I still don't understand why his response to the White piece was praised so highly by almost everybody.

I'll be over here downloading some CVB albums.

I don't understand the point to the Emily White article.  Somone who has terrible taste in music and doesn't pay for it? I am sure that is half of america.  Amanda Palmer I love.  Great that she was able to get all that money from her fans to make her album.  Why is their backlash?  That she has fans that like her for her music and aren't influenced by record labels or pretentious blogs like pitchfork?

atomicfront

« Reply #619 on: October 10, 2012, 11:48:07 pm »
Oh I see Amanda is allowing fans to play with her at shows and somehow that is bad because she isn't paying them.  Whatever.  I guess the backlash comes from people who nothing about how amanda's shows work. 

James Ford

« Reply #620 on: October 11, 2012, 08:08:12 am »
Pay your employees. This is America.

Oh I see Amanda is allowing fans to play with her at shows and somehow that is bad because she isn't paying them.  Whatever.  I guess the backlash comes from people who nothing about how amanda's shows work. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #621 on: October 11, 2012, 09:10:43 am »
the best thing written on that article page is azag's comment.

does this topic really warrant 4000 words? kids will always want to consume but don't want to pay, the internet makes a big deal about things that don't matter, and somewhere, some old dude bitched and moaned about something that doesn't concern him.  boom, 36 words (or, 1% of what was written).

atomicfront

« Reply #622 on: October 11, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »

They are not her employees.  Her band is payed.  She just invited fans to play at each show.  Which is actually cool.  But I guess they need to backlash her because she quit her record label and did things herself and is actually doing well. 

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #623 on: October 11, 2012, 03:22:18 pm »

They are not her employees.  Her band is payed.  She just invited fans to play at each show.  Which is actually cool.  But I guess they need to backlash her because she quit her record label and did things herself and is actually doing well. 

Consider them on-site temps. They should be paid. You don't beg your fans for a million dollars, then, after getting it a million dollars, beg for them to play in your band, then pay them with hugs. It's like demanding a tax break so that you can supposedly create jobs domestically and then, after getting a tax break, moving the jobs overseas.
😐 🎶

atomicfront

« Reply #624 on: October 11, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »

Consider them on-site temps. They should be paid. You don't beg your fans for a million dollars, then, after getting it a million dollars, beg for them to play in your band, then pay them with hugs. It's like demanding a tax break so that you can supposedly create jobs domestically and then, after getting a tax break, moving the jobs overseas.

pollyphonic spree are chargin 1500 to sing in their chrous and people are payuing it.  I am sure none of the poeple playing with the band expects to be paid.  Just people outide who have to somethign wrong with everything.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #625 on: October 11, 2012, 05:16:15 pm »
people are 100% free to NOT play with her.  they do it because they want to, because it's an honor and a thrill.

sheesh...
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #626 on: October 11, 2012, 05:53:36 pm »
Sure they are. But at the same time, her refusing to give them anything for their services (after she raised more than enough to give them something) does make her look greedy and ungrateful.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #627 on: October 11, 2012, 05:58:23 pm »
Professional musicians are honored best when they are treated as professional musicians. Sure, if hobbyist players want to play for free, fine. But you get what you pay for.

I've heard from many professional musicians trying to start a career or just get a little scratch who are routinely asked to play for free at weddings. Yet the wedding party will pay for the catering, photographer, minister, etc. These are musicians who have spent most of their lives honing their skills and paying tens of thousands of dollars for lessons and professional-grade instruments and their care. I've got friends who have played for presidents. They get paid.
😐 🎶

Relaxer

« Reply #628 on: October 11, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »
I know theyre playing Baltimore but gotdamn, I wish Pig Destroyer were playing DC
oword

Unsanity

« Reply #629 on: October 12, 2012, 12:59:35 pm »
I know theyre playing Baltimore but gotdamn, I wish Pig Destroyer were playing DC

Yeah they need to put up a DC / VA date! That Ottobar gig is going to be awesome though! Royal Thunder is opening and they are rad. Ilsa is evil as hell too.