Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1167903 times)

atomicfront

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #810 on: November 21, 2012, 05:58:04 pm »
Do you believe that government employees shouldn't take breaks?

and just about everyone in the region gets their money from tax dollars. Let's face it if the federal government up and moved to Iowa this area would pretty much an economic wasteland.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #811 on: November 21, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »
i enjoy the federal government.  they do things.

killsaly

« Reply #812 on: November 23, 2012, 11:10:38 am »
Can I take over administration on this site?  Implement some new features?  Like ignore? 

atomicfront

« Reply #814 on: November 25, 2012, 04:29:03 pm »
Which one of you wrote this? http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/going-beyond-mainstream-schlock/2012/11/22/bc5f0054-329c-11e2-92f0-496af208bf23_story.html?wprss=rss_localopinions

sounds like it came from the owner of the birchmere.  I have never been there or have heard of any the act the guy mentions.

on a different subject: how about those wizards?

James Ford

« Reply #815 on: November 25, 2012, 04:30:59 pm »
Of course you haven't.

The idea that Delbert McClinton, Junior Brown, Dave Alvin, and Sonny Landreth represent some kind of "wide variety" is pretty laughable though.

Which one of you wrote this? http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/going-beyond-mainstream-schlock/2012/11/22/bc5f0054-329c-11e2-92f0-496af208bf23_story.html?wprss=rss_localopinions

sounds like it came from the owner of the birchmere.  I have never been there or have heard of any the act the guy mentions.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:34:42 pm by James Ford »

atomicfront

« Reply #816 on: November 25, 2012, 04:46:20 pm »
Of course you haven't.

The idea that Delbert McClinton, Junior Brown, Dave Alvin, and Sonny Landreth represent some kind of "wide variety" is pretty laughable though.

I looked at their upcoming schedule and I have seen 3 of the bands/acts before.  2 of them in one night in january 1985 marshall crenshaw and 10000 maniacs.   But of course this isn't the real 10000 maniacs or they wouldn't be playing the birchmere.  And I saw Ricky Scaggs at the Grand Ole Opery.  Who played with his wife as well in the Whites. 

Most of the acts on the schedule look like they are meant to appeal to baby boomers.  I wouldn't mind seeing Arlo Guthrie if he was doing his own songs but it sounds like he is doing his fathers. 

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #817 on: November 25, 2012, 11:29:34 pm »
I find myself going to more and more shows just to see the opening acts.  Not good.

atomicfront

« Reply #818 on: November 26, 2012, 12:50:22 am »
I find myself going to more and more shows just to see the opening acts.  Not good.

why? are the headliners fans annoying?

atomicfront

« Reply #819 on: November 28, 2012, 12:17:54 pm »
I am going to go out on a limb and predict a Wizards victory tonight.  Portland has been on a long road trip.  Nene will be back.  All the signs point to a big win. 

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #820 on: November 28, 2012, 12:37:21 pm »
I am going to go out on a limb and predict a Wizards victory tonight.  Portland has been on a long road trip.  Nene will be back.  All the signs point to a big win. 
I'm hoping for the record.  0-19.  If you're gonna lose, lose big.

Relaxer

« Reply #821 on: November 28, 2012, 01:09:52 pm »

I always try and catch the openers, you see some great bands that way that you'll probably never see or hear about again. You see some crap for sure, but then you just forget about it. Meanwhile, I'll always remember loving, to name one recently discussed example, the Apes, which I never would've heard otherwise.

Plus, the following were bottom-of-the-bill bands that I've seen in clubs: The Strokes, the Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jay Reatard, Andrew WK, At the Drive In
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #822 on: November 28, 2012, 08:58:39 pm »
Why is there no 33 1/3 Trapped in the Closet book yet? There is enough to write a whole encyclopedia on that work of genius.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #823 on: November 28, 2012, 09:16:02 pm »
Why is there no 33 1/3 Trapped in the Closet book yet? There is enough to write a whole encyclopedia on that work of genius.

Call for Proposals for the 33 1/3 Series

I think I posted that here, or somewhere. Maybe someone proposed it and got a commission. We'll see.
😐 🎶

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #824 on: November 28, 2012, 09:24:31 pm »
Here's the list of titles accepted:

Andrew WK: I Get Wet, by Phillip Crandall
Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Vol II, by Marc Weidenbaum
Beach Boys: Smile, by Luis Sanchez
Bjork: Biophilia, by Nicola Dibben
Bobbie Gentry: Ode to Billie Joe, by Tara Murtha
Danger Mouse: The Grey Album, by Charles Fairchild