Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1167956 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #4185 on: October 30, 2014, 02:06:28 pm »
Seriously?  Wonder what it will like being banned again?
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #4186 on: October 30, 2014, 02:22:34 pm »
Tell me what about that video do you object to? Are you worried that someone is going to put a fatweh on your head for allowing it to be posted?

Are we not allowed to be critical of ideologies and world views on here?

It seems like we're free to be critical of President Obama. We're free to call out injustices that America inflicts on the world. Why aren't we free to call out all injustices?

American Islamophobia (the assumed Bill Maher position), rebuttal is typically a few bad apples theory: majority of Muslims do not go around beheading people, committing acts similar to the Boston Marathon/Fort Hooding shooting etc.

To draw links between Islam and illiberal values is racist, gross, bigoted, and Islamophobic; this oft-repeated position is usually followed by some variant of this personal observation: ?My friend Hakeem is a practicing Muslim and he is the loveliest person in the world.? Ah, it?s settled then. There is nothing to worry about. Move along everyone.

In criticizing an ideology, one cannot be racist, hateful, or bigoted. These descriptors apply to positions held against people and not ideologies. It is perfectly acceptable in a free and liberal society to criticize, debate, mock, and reject any ideology. The contents of an ideology are not sacrosanct simply because they are couched in the cloak of a religion.

Ideology is judged by its specific contents and by the real-world consequences that are engendered by it, when practiced in a particular way by hundreds of millions of people around the world. That Hakeem is the loveliest human being on earth says nothing about Islam.

BUT the 1.5 billion people are not all violent theory:

several global and reputable surveys (e.g., Pew Research Center) have offered a glimpse to the positions held by Muslims when it comes to a wide range of foundational liberal values (freedom of speech, rights of religious minorities, gay rights, women?s rights, apostasy, freedom of conscience). The picture is not pretty and it suggests that a sizeable portion (totaling in the hundreds of millions) hold views that are perfectly antithetical to the fundamental tenets along which Western values are based. So what should we do with this information? Should we refrain from having an open discussion on the matter since the majority of Muslims are indeed kind and peaceful? Should we ignore the daily carnages that are carried around the world in the name of the faith even though most people of that faith are not actively engaging in violence? How should we go about tackling this issue if we are increasingly being told that the mere hint of a criticism of that faith is unacceptable as it is racist and gross and Islamophobic.

There are thousands of people who are being beheaded, crucified, and raped by the latest terrorist group du jour, (rightly or wrongly in the name of their religion). Anti-Islamophobia'ist in their infinite and blind desire to appear high-brow in tolerance, leave no room for criticism of the religion. The only thing that matters to anti Islamophobia'istis to signal to the world their bona fide progressive membership card of infinite tolerance built on the back of empty, ignorant, and childish platitudes.

This has absolutely nothing to do with people?s fundamental right to point to aspects of that faith that necessitate scrutiny. Sam Harris and even Bill Maher, and countless other true liberals are at the forefront of that discussion. This hardly makes them hateful bigots. Rather, they are courageous defenders of Western liberal values. Those who disagree with them are free to rebut their positions in an open and free exchange. However, to repeatedly seek to stifle their voice by accusing them of the vilest descriptors is dishonest and shameful.

Seriously?  Wonder what it will like being banned again?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4187 on: October 30, 2014, 02:25:44 pm »
Just give it a rest.... Sick and tired of the trolling...
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #4188 on: October 30, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »
You call it trolling, I call it trying to get people to wake the fuck up.

Maybe this is not the right forum for that kind of discussion? If not, I understand and will give it a rest. We can stick to talking about Blur vs. Oasis and Madison Bumgarner and the latest beer and whiskey releases and leave the serious issues for other websites.

Just give it a rest.... Sick and tired of the trolling...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4189 on: October 30, 2014, 03:03:55 pm »
Take it elsewhere please...
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #4190 on: October 30, 2014, 03:15:27 pm »

Maybe this is not the right forum for that kind of discussion?

I think this is the proper forum for you:

http://gretchenpowers.com/secret/

« Reply #4191 on: October 30, 2014, 04:18:50 pm »
So you really think that posting these things on the 930 message board is going to amount to ANYTHING?!
seriously you are like tits on a bull
you need to wake the f up
if you want to make change...this is probably the last place to do it
all you are really doing is annoying the others on this board
also there is a place to post these rants, but you refuse to post in that thread as you know that no one will read them

your main goal is to get rise, not to educate
lets call a spade a spade
slack

ggw

« Reply #4192 on: October 30, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #4193 on: October 31, 2014, 05:34:47 pm »
FUKIT

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: James Ford's "I hate Muslims" thread
« Reply #4194 on: October 31, 2014, 10:51:50 pm »
I'll change the thread title back when the bullshit stops.
😐 🎶

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4195 on: October 31, 2014, 11:11:53 pm »
I'll change the thread title back when the bullshit stops.
Fucking A.

LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #4196 on: November 01, 2014, 07:47:39 am »
It's all three Abrahamic religions that i have trouble with. If you take any of their texts literally in 2014, you're a pretty fucked up person. Separation of state and religion, it's a wonderful thing.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 07:56:16 am by James Ford »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
TBD
« Reply #4197 on: November 01, 2014, 08:23:46 am »
Closing this thread out.... It's run it's random course
T.Rex