Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 893760 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #1860 on: December 02, 2016, 12:42:37 pm »
Maybe stick to the Morrissey lot scene for that gay friendly vibe?
No dice. They're going to be rude to Walkie because he's not Latino gay. :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 02:24:51 pm by Julian, coastal ELITE »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1861 on: December 02, 2016, 12:58:49 pm »
yeah.. stay away from the moz, walkie

walkie,talkie

« Reply #1862 on: December 02, 2016, 02:24:29 pm »
I like, meat.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1863 on: December 04, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »
Can someone explain the hate for Belle and Sebastian's "Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant"? Everyone seems to say it's a dud. I really, really don't get that. I think it's wonderful.

« Reply #1864 on: December 04, 2016, 09:31:17 pm »
Can someone explain the hate for Belle and Sebastian's "Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant"? Everyone seems to say it's a dud. I really, really don't get that. I think it's wonderful.
I think it has three or four of their absolute best songs (Woman's Realm, The Model, Family Tree et al) but also some total duds. I think more of it as uneven than bad.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1865 on: December 04, 2016, 09:59:22 pm »
I Fought in a War is the only song I like.. the only one that recalls Belle and Sebastian...

I cannot stand the album..

« Reply #1866 on: December 04, 2016, 10:22:31 pm »
I Fought in a War is the only song I like.. the only one that recalls Belle and Sebastian...

You don't like woman's realm or The Model? Those are honestly in my top 5 B+S songs all time.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1867 on: December 04, 2016, 11:42:29 pm »

You don't like woman's realm or The Model? Those are honestly in my top 5 B+S songs all time.

i don't know if i want to get into this..

hutch

« Reply #1868 on: December 04, 2016, 11:44:02 pm »
I was a total Belle and Sebastian geek/freak for a while.. this brings back painful memories..

« Reply #1869 on: December 04, 2016, 11:46:20 pm »
I was a total Belle and Sebastian geek/freak for a while.. this brings back painful memories..
Fair enough; different strokes for different folks.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #1870 on: December 05, 2016, 09:37:17 am »
Fair enough; different strokes for different folks.

Uneven yes...but not unlistenable. I think "Roy Walker" is one of those songs that ruins "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" for me. It reminds me too much of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". As for FYHCYWLAP, I think the duds are all relative. It's one of those LPs that has probably aged better than people would think. I don't think that the last one will age that well. That's by far my least favorite B&S record.

« Reply #1871 on: December 05, 2016, 09:42:47 am »
I don't think that the last one will age that well. That's by far my least favorite B&S record.
Are we counting Storytelling? Storytelling aside, I agree with the general sentiment: Girls in Peacetime is really subpar.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #1872 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:15 am »
I don't think that the last one will age that well. That's by far my least favorite B&S record.
Are we counting Storytelling? Storytelling aside, I agree with the general sentiment: Girls in Peacetime is really subpar.

Storytelling isn't really a "proper" B&S LP so I can forgive that. It's got a few songs that would have made another great EP. "Wandering Alone" is so great. When they played "Fuck This Shit" at the Hollywood Bowl and the LA Philharmonic came in, I just about cried because it was so beautiful.

Space Freely

« Reply #1873 on: December 08, 2016, 12:02:15 pm »
What, no mention of Robbie Fulks getting two Grammy nominations? You guys are slipping.

« Reply #1874 on: December 14, 2016, 09:21:48 pm »
I need this to be documented, so the archeologists, when analyzing this era of mankind and the art it consumed..will all agree

Paul McCartney & Wings - Wonderful Christmas Time is the worst musical creation of all time
It makes me want to hear We Built This City
slack