Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 884426 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2730 on: January 28, 2022, 08:53:03 pm »
I thought Barry Manilow joined forces.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2731 on: January 28, 2022, 10:08:48 pm »
The stock price is going down, apparently people have been unable to cancel their accounts since so many are doing so.. The only musicians I’ve seen leaving so far are Nils Lofgren and Peter Frampton..

As someone pointed out Spotify simply realized that like many radio stations, more money could be made with caustic talk radio then with music…

And yes I’m a total Qobuz fanboy, but they reportedly pay musicians at the highest rate… But SoundCloud seems to be putting in a more equitable system last I saw
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2732 on: January 28, 2022, 11:15:18 pm »
Joni Mitchell is pulling her music off Spotify

And yes I realize this is the equivalent of posting first in the Dropping Like Flies thread
T.Rex

« Reply #2733 on: January 29, 2022, 11:55:28 am »
I mean another reason to ditch Spotify is by how very little they pay their artists. I believe it’s .003 to .005 cents per stream played.

Apple Music pays .01 per stream in comparison (plus it’s much easier to AirPlay to my setup).
THIS is a good reason, but that is not the reason people are doing it, nor exclaiming their virtuosity 

I'm not sure this number is accurate, but their is some credibility that one pays better than the other
  -edit...seems unclear to me, but they do pay artists same rates no mater what the label is significantly different (and apple sticking it to major labels a little at he same time)
-edit 2.0 this guy is claiming .0063 from apple and .0023 from spotify
Amazon unlimited seems to be the place for the most virtuous of royalty players.   

I am curious to what Neil's actual royalty checks were from Spotify? I'm just going to take a wild stab guess that he probably got over $100k a year...but again a wild guess
because David Lowery (and where is he in this debate?) said he can't buy a cup of coffee after three trillion streams
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 12:16:47 pm by slightly different Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #2734 on: January 29, 2022, 12:24:07 pm »
And yes I’m a total Qobuz fanboy,
well I guess neil is a fan too

Mentions them three times
https://neilyoungarchives.com/news/1/article?id=Spotify-More-Songs-Less-Sound

am giving Qobuz a kick in the tires, but knowing your deep musical tastes...what's the catalogue like?
I'm a family plan kinda household, so have lots of tastes to accommodate along my diverse palate
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2735 on: January 29, 2022, 12:57:05 pm »
While I often refer to it as the man cave audio site, I would say it was s solid catalog.. I’ve come across the occasional indie title not available.. It’s highlighted new releases are the polar opposite of Spotify’s… I can’t speak to the depth of it’s current rap or pop offerings are, but Taylor, Olivia, BTS, and Little Simz are there for example
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2736 on: January 29, 2022, 01:18:12 pm »
For the sake of own curiosity I went through some of highlighted Spotify releases for this week and they are on Qobuz

There are a least couple sites offering the ability to transfer\sync playlists between the two services.

Oh and Billie is on there and I heard some guys from a speaker company talking about amazing her album sounds in Qobuz HiRez… 
T.Rex

« Reply #2737 on: January 29, 2022, 04:19:02 pm »

There are a least couple sites offering the ability to transfer\sync playlists between the two services.
this interests  me…. Almost the main reason I didn’t want to leave
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2738 on: January 29, 2022, 06:07:57 pm »
Soundiiz is mentioned on Qobuz’s website for playlist transfer

https://soundiiz.com/qobuz

There are a bunch of others out there with both free and premium plans

Since I’m not a big playlist user, I’ve never tried any of these, but might give one a shot because I’m interested in checking out actor Robert Carlyle’s playlists he calls Saturday Tunes. Where he highlights a variety of tracks of up and coming Uk bands.

T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2739 on: January 29, 2022, 06:27:13 pm »
Before we go any further down this path, has anyone confirmed Qobuz is even a word that can be played in Wordle or is this all a giant scam?
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2740 on: January 29, 2022, 06:57:19 pm »
I'm partly worried about podcasts. A few of my regular listens just went to "spotify exclusive", but I don't know how far that really goes

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2741 on: January 29, 2022, 10:50:01 pm »
Before we go any further down this path, has anyone confirmed Qobuz is even a word that can be played in Wordle or is this all a giant scam?

It’s allowed in Fredle

P.s.  this is a merde joke…
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #2742 on: January 29, 2022, 11:13:05 pm »
Nils Lofgren has joined the revolution!

I have to wonder if Neil said to him “Nils you should pull your stuff…I will buy the pizza and that’s more than you are making from Spotify!!”

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #2743 on: January 30, 2022, 06:29:34 pm »
I'm partly worried about podcasts. A few of my regular listens just went to "spotify exclusive", but I don't know how far that really goes

Update: Qobuz doesn't have podcasts.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2744 on: February 01, 2022, 07:59:10 pm »
Some asshats setup a NFT music site that’s little more than links to Spotify songs.. needless to say there are some seriously pissed off artists big and small

How are NFTs even still a thing… And I saw that the artist behind that Bored Ape malarkey isn’t even benefiting from the sale of those NFTs… the whole point of NFTs were the artists would benefit from their sale..

Hope all those tech bros are enjoying all the money laundering going on

T.Rex