Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 863570 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2145 on: January 09, 2020, 05:36:20 pm »
I clicked this thread thinking for sure Julian was going to report Bieber's Lyme disease...

And then I was going to ask the question about Canadian Pop Stars and Lyme disease.

And then Sweetcell was provide some link to some bullshit Maple Rag about why Canadians have a higher propensity to get Lyme disease because they're so much nicer than everyone else....

i've had lyme disease, and i'm canadian.  i'm not a pop star, ergo, i'm a nice guy.

logic, bitches!
<sig>

« Reply #2146 on: January 15, 2020, 10:19:04 am »
glad to hear Marc Bolan is finally getting into the RRHOF

not really sure Depech Mode is all that tho...
that video of 'just can't get enough' with the whole band playing keyboards blew my young mind at the time (now I know...kraftwork)
We did joke that it would be a great erectile dysfunction ad song before ED became a thing

all the other picks are deserving IMO
slack

hutch

« Reply #2147 on: January 15, 2020, 11:03:16 am »
DM not “all that”? Okee dokee

I wonder if Vince Clarke would get in with them? He was only on first LP but I think he wrote most of it including Just Can’t Get Enough but then went on to Yazoo and Erasure.

I think even if it’s not your cup of tea DM where pretty crucial mainstreaming synth pop...

The Pet Shop Boys is the tough one for me...

« Reply #2148 on: January 15, 2020, 11:07:39 am »
I actually like DM, just don't think they are RRHOF material is all...but obviously I'm in the minority
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2149 on: January 15, 2020, 11:27:24 am »
I actually like DM, just don't think they are RRHOF material is all...but obviously I'm in the minority
That's kind of an insane take. They're highly influential, sold over 100 million records, had a style that merged multiple types of music in a way that continues to get copied 40 years later, had hits in three decades, and continue to sell out enormodomes in year 40 of their existence.

The RNR HoF is stupid for not having them in there already. [EDIT: The RNR HoF is dumb regardless.] (And I'm far from a DM fanboy.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:30:40 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #2150 on: January 15, 2020, 11:46:46 am »
The RNR HoF is stupid

Amazingly stupid, in fact.

The only act I’d potentially quibble about is Biggie. His first album is nothing short of amazing. I think the follow up is held in high regard primarily given the circumstances of its release. That doesn’t seem worthy but I suppose is more than worthy for this BS.

« Reply #2151 on: January 15, 2020, 11:48:13 am »
slack

Yada

« Reply #2152 on: January 15, 2020, 11:52:23 am »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2153 on: January 15, 2020, 12:19:09 pm »
Not all of the nominees seem like rock-n-roll performers.

Yada

« Reply #2156 on: February 25, 2020, 08:49:46 am »

Space Freely

« Reply #2157 on: February 25, 2020, 09:47:57 am »
Sturgill sounding positive...

https://uproxx.com/indie/sturgill-simpson-interview-sound-and-fury-tour/

They guy that wrote that calls himself a "cultural critic." Hopefully, we'll soon see him interview Frank Turner.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2158 on: February 25, 2020, 09:56:10 am »

They guy that wrote that calls himself a "cultural critic." Hopefully, we'll soon see him interview Frank Turner.
Then Chris Stapleton. Then he can write his manifesto, Milquetoast: The Unexplored Culture.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #2159 on: February 25, 2020, 09:57:03 am »

Then Chris Stapleton. Then he can write his manifesto, Milquetoast: The Unexplored Culture.

You misspelled Frank Terner