Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 894623 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2250 on: December 07, 2020, 10:55:34 am »
I feel like I should probably understand this better already but why would someone want to buy this? Like, how does UM monetize this? Do they get part of the royalties every time his song is played? Are they now the arbiter of who can do a Dylan cover commercially? Can they license Blowin' In The Wind to a Propecia commerical?
LVMH

« Reply #2251 on: December 07, 2020, 11:02:31 am »
Are they now the arbiter of who can do a Dylan cover commercially? Can they license Blowin' In The Wind to a Propecia commerical?
already did it for Bud in a Superbowl ad, I was thinking Latuda would be a better fit

Actually, if he did the voice over for the side effects...that would be great
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2252 on: December 07, 2020, 11:12:29 am »
I'm no expert in this, but my guess since it's the rights to his song UM will get paid for both his versions and anyone that does a cover... no idea what his streaming payouts are but that i'm sure is what UM is eyeballing and they can get artists on their roster to do covers and double dip
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2253 on: December 07, 2020, 01:27:15 pm »
I feel like I should probably understand this better already but why would someone want to buy this? Like, how does UM monetize this? Do they get part of the royalties every time his song is played? Are they now the arbiter of who can do a Dylan cover commercially? Can they license Blowin' In The Wind to a Propecia commerical?

UM will now collect all royalties for covers and commercial use (including ads) of dylan's catalog.
<sig>

« Reply #2254 on: December 07, 2020, 01:46:17 pm »
Thanks. Does that include the royalty he gets when his song is played on a radio or someone listens to him on their streamer of choice? (I understand there is not a straight "you played Bob Dylan on spotify 4 times so he gets 5 cents per play" model with streamers.) Can they now unilaterally re-package and re-release his recordings or does he still maintain something that makes that only allowed under mutual consent?
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2255 on: December 07, 2020, 01:59:48 pm »
(I understand there is not a straight "you played Bob Dylan on spotify 4 times so he gets 5 cents per play" model with streamers.)

You're off by an of magnitude, I think.  It's more like $.005 per stream.

« Reply #2256 on: December 07, 2020, 02:20:42 pm »
I literally said “I know it’s not” dude.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2257 on: December 08, 2020, 12:21:00 pm »
I think he sold it all off...publishing , copyrights..

It’s a great end of life kind of decision .. the kind any responsible father should make

I also read his heirs under US law could buy it back in 35 years

It’s really made me sad.. cause it’s the kind of thing you do when you are straightening out your affairs before dying

I also was shocked to learn he owns the publishing for “The Weight”!

That’s a big one

I guess drawing that cover for music from the big pink was worth it!!

It’s possible we have seen the last of Bob Dylan live... pisses me off FWB messed up my tickets for his last anthem show.. really angers me..

Yada

« Reply #2258 on: December 09, 2020, 10:03:40 am »

It’s a great end of life kind of decision .. the kind any responsible father should make

It’s really made me sad.. cause it’s the kind of thing you do when you are straightening out your affairs before dying

That’s a big one

It’s possible we have seen the last of Bob Dylan live... pisses me off FWB messed up my tickets for his last anthem show.. really angers me..

what continues to blow my mind about artists like Dylan (especially him), Neil Young, etc... I've listened to these artists for upwards of 30 years (some of you I'm sure a lot longer), but I still discover new songs that absolutely slay me. The most recent example is Dylan's track "Making a Liar Out of Me" from volume 13 of The Bootleg Series. Wow.

Space Freely

« Reply #2259 on: December 09, 2020, 10:25:27 am »
"I can’t work, and streaming stole my record money," Crosby said via Twitter. "I have a family and a mortgage and I have to take care of them, so it’s my only option. I’m sure the others feel the same."

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2260 on: December 09, 2020, 10:34:50 am »

That’s a big one

what continues to blow my mind about artists like Dylan (especially him), Neil Young, etc... I've listened to these artists for upwards of 30 years (some of you I'm sure a lot longer), but I still discover new songs that absolutely slay me. The most recent example is Dylan's track "Making a Liar Out of Me" from volume 13 of The Bootleg Series. Wow.

His finest work is undoubtedly frontloaded, but there are gems scattered throughout his career, right up to the present day. For sheer fecundity, I can’t, with the exception of Bob Dylan, think of any other songwriter who comes close. There are very few artists in history, in any field, who have produced so much work at a high level over such a span.

Some might say McCartney.

« Reply #2261 on: December 09, 2020, 10:40:21 am »
Macca post 71 output is somewhat meh IMO
slack

Yada

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2263 on: December 16, 2020, 06:44:22 pm »
Cross posting to the movie thread...

Just watched the documentary Dennis and Lois on Prime and would recommend as an 90 minutes very well spent.  It’s about two serious music fans of Manchester bands in particular who have attended thousands of shows since the days of CBGBs.  They once sold Ramones t-shirts and you get to see them hanging with lots of great  bands. Fun little movie about ordinary people who really enjoy live music
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2264 on: December 17, 2020, 04:06:48 pm »
Cross posting to the movie thread...

Just watched the documentary Dennis and Lois on Prime and would recommend as an 90 minutes very well spent.  It’s about two serious music fans of Manchester bands in particular who have attended thousands of shows since the days of CBGBs.  They once sold Ramones t-shirts and you get to see them hanging with lots of great  bands. Fun little movie about ordinary people who really enjoy live music

sounds like it would make me nostalgic, in a homesick kinda way...
<sig>