Author Topic: Musicological banter  (Read 864288 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Musicological banter
« Reply #2775 on: February 25, 2022, 04:43:14 pm »
I mean, $10 per CD is practically a bargain.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2776 on: February 25, 2022, 06:18:21 pm »
Yeah! Imagine what the price would be if anyone had ever heard of Al Stewart!
LVMH

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #2777 on: February 25, 2022, 07:23:34 pm »
The age of this site's boardies?  I would think most know the Year of the Cat dude.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2778 on: February 25, 2022, 07:30:30 pm »
knowing jules IRL, i suspect he's under the median age of this board... but not by tons.  i suspect he was born in the 80's.  year of the cat came out in 1976.  if he didn't grow up around a lot of classic rock/pop i could see him not being aware of who al stewart was.  it's a mild indictment of his late-20th century pop music awareness, but pretty sure he can live with that.
<sig>

« Reply #2779 on: February 25, 2022, 07:44:48 pm »
The age of this site's boardies?  I would think most know the Year of the Cat dude.

I know enough to know that "Time Passages" is an abomination of a musical composition and really should be forgotten, not celebrated in a $500 box set
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2780 on: February 25, 2022, 07:54:54 pm »
knowing jules IRL, i suspect he's under the median age of this board... but not by tons.  i suspect he was born in the 80's.  year of the cat came out in 1976.  if he didn't grow up around a lot of classic rock/pop i could see him not being aware of who al stewart was.  it's a mild indictment of his late-20th century pop music awareness, but pretty sure he can live with that.

So he's basically our pet project.

« Reply #2781 on: February 25, 2022, 07:57:26 pm »

So he's basically our pet project.
Grrr,rrrr,rrr,rrlll!
LVMH

« Reply #2782 on: February 25, 2022, 08:03:02 pm »
it's a mild indictment of his late-20th century pop music awareness, but pretty sure he can live with that.
This has cut me to the core. All I have left to take solace in is my generation’s music, my millions of dollars and my youth. Let's all go out and buy fur coats!
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #2783 on: February 25, 2022, 08:28:40 pm »
I may still have the 45 of Year of the Cat somewhere in my house, assuming my wife didn't throw out my record collection. I didn't have Time Passages though.

« Reply #2784 on: February 25, 2022, 08:52:13 pm »
I may still have the 45 of Year of the Cat somewhere in my house, assuming my wife didn't throw out my record collection. I didn't have Time Passages though.
I know that little about Al, that didn't even know he had anything else people liked
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2785 on: February 28, 2022, 05:01:11 pm »
Thanks to an outstanding story in the Guardian, I'm currently diving in deep to a lost musical genre from Barbados called Spouge

Per the article it was created by  Jackie “Manface” Opel from Bardados who travel to Jamaica and preformed with the Skatalites. Bunny Wailer called Opel “the greatest of them all”; Bob Marley cited him as the reason he wanted to sing.

He returned to Barbados and decided it need a sound all it's own and created Spouge.  Described as a "joyfully relentless, funky, syncopated beat that sits in a zone somewhere between vintage soca, inside-out ska and classic blue-collar soul."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/28/spouge-forgotten-music-genre-jackie-opel-barbados

My introduction is this awesome mix
BAJAN SPOUGE MUSIC MIX VOL 1 (BARBADOS) - https://youtu.be/1NeDS5G-qA0

This version of The Letter by Clarence Thompson really caught my ear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsGA0vYtlk

I would totally buy up a compilation of this stuff.. seems like something Numero Group would do a excellent job with
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2786 on: February 28, 2022, 06:11:24 pm »
this spouge stuff is amazing

Wow how can one not one want to get up and move to The Daytons Two's version of this  Righteous Brothers classic

https://youtu.be/KgelMfmuzhE

Not hard to see why Richard Stoute had a hit with his version of "Vehicle" by US garage rockers The Ides Of March

https://youtu.be/N6xFgn35XWw

This is the infectious stuff - The Checkmates - Spouge Beat

https://youtu.be/83kt6gR2its
T.Rex

« Reply #2787 on: March 01, 2022, 08:00:00 am »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #2788 on: March 01, 2022, 11:40:12 am »
Spooge? I can’t take the genre seriously with a name like that

kosmo vinyl