Author Topic: 25 Douchiest Bars In DC  (Read 15859 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: 25 Douchiest Bars In DC
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:46 am »
"Who the hell hangs out at the bar at Kinkaids?? Great food, but terrible atmosphere and definitely not cool.. Just curious, does someone choose to hang out at the bar in that restaurant?? Walky?????"

yes . . . i do.  i like it.  the douchiest people i've ever met at a bar in dc, is the bar at the hotel monaco.  i think it is called poste.

stevewizzle

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 12:04:05 pm »
Tom Tom closed a few years ago.

ironically, it closed maybe a 8 months ago, the owner fired all the staff, and promised to come back as a less douchey bar.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:30 am »
Totally disagree with Red Room.  And I've never seen anyone get sick there.  I love that bar.

I have seen lots of vomit, countless times...

3MTA3

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:54:01 am »
Totally disagree with Red Room.  And I've never seen anyone get sick there.  I love that bar.

Surprised that Rhett hasn't chimed in yet with his story of some band member tossing it in the men's room.

Let's face it, doucie or not, any high volume bar has seen it's share of the regurgitated stuff.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 11:00:12 am »
The person who wrote this list seems like they should be writing for DCist or something. A rather amusing read. 

Recessions really??? I've only been on a Saturday night which I think the writer might be a bit scared to go in and see a bunch of industrial/goth people dancing.
3MTA3

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 11:05:42 am »
It was a very funny read but I got the sense that the only reason the Red Room made the list was because the writer doesn't like hipsters. In fact, I got the impression that he is somewhat of an outcast and doesn't fit into any specific social grouping and knows it which is why he selected various groups to direct his angst towards, via their hangouts.

hutch

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 11:11:20 am »
red room is great.. no way should it be on this list.

James Ford

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »
What is great about the Red Room? Every time I was there it was filled with shitty beer, douchey indie rock hipsters, and cigarette smoke. At least the government removed the third strike.

James Ford

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
I had forgotten that story.

Lead singer of the Dears. Claimed it was food poisoning.

Surprised that Rhett hasn't chimed in yet with his story of some band member tossing it in the men's room.

Let's face it, doucie or not, any high volume bar has seen it's share of the regurgitated stuff.

hutch

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
What is great about the Red Room? Every time I was there it was filled with shitty beer, douchey indie rock hipsters, and cigarette smoke. At least the government removed the third strike.

I really don't want to engage with you in conversation cause you're in the 25 biggest douches on this board list. Definitely top 5 at that...

If the last time you were there people were smoking that would mean it was a very long time ago.

Having said all of the above and because I'm feeling charitable I will humour you with a response. I think the beer selection is fine (yes I like the Fosters oil can deal.. you got a problem with that?), the prices are quite good, the place has always had one of the best jukeboxes in town, and some of the bar tenders are the best/friendliest in DC.  Add to that its in the BLACK CAT and its a winner. I mean its not friggin' Churchkey, dude. If you're looking for a place with 50 specialty froofroo beers from the Rhine valley its not the place. Its a rock and roll club with a bar and a very good one at being a rock and roll bar. The one minus is that some of the staff at the Black Cat are insufferable but you can't win them all.

Keep writing about shit you don't know though, douchebag.

hutch

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:17 pm »
I used to live on 14th Street.. many many years... to me the Black Cat bar is an oasis in a sea of overpriced yuppie/lounge whatever the fuck you call them bars.... basically its a REAL place.. they are opening like 1 bar a week on 14th street and they are all the same generic pay $8 for a beer order some calamari with that bullshit places..I wouldn't be caught dead in them..

Hope the Black Cat holds out and doesn't sell out... I'm pretty sure Dante owns his building but I'd hate to see him move out but on the other hand I'm not sure how he feels about being surrounded by sushi places and overpriced furniture retailers, shitty bars  etc.. Maybe he likes it... maybe he feels good about providing a nice real place for the kids.. a place where you can actually afford to see a show if you're a young person.. I don't know.. but I'm very thankful for the Black Cat and the Red Room has no business being on that list.

It really is the last place of its kind left on 14th street.. with the playbill cafe having gone down in the past year.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 01:43:31 pm »
(yes I like the Fosters oil can deal.. you got a problem with that)

Awesome.  Not sure if you're joking or not but I was on a cruise last week and this is all I drank.  The beer selection sucked and this was the best value, by far.

And, yeah, the Red Room does not belong on that list.

reggie

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 02:00:17 pm »
hutch, according to the DC Real Property Assessment Database, the black cat property is owned by CIRCLE I PRODUCTIONS INC, which I think is the cat's parent company...for what it's worth

imbecile

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 02:15:50 pm »
The Red Room actually has quite a good craft beer selection for what it is (a bar at a rock club).  It's quite underrated, always about 5 good craft selections down there which go below most peoples radar.  Which is fine by me.  I've never gone there and not found something worth drinking and was able to enjoy it without being surrounded by douchebags (I too agree the red room has no place on this list); bonus points that I go upstairs and get to see a show afterward. 

Didn't a keg of hopslam last over a week there earlier this year?

James Ford

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 02:32:31 pm »
Isn't the fact that a keg of Hopslam lasted a week proof that the place is filled with hipster douchebags?

Maybe we just have differing ideas about what qualifies one as a douchebag.

Hutch, for example, in his thrift store Members Only style leather jacket, qualifies as a hipster douchebag. You know, the kind of person who would get all pissy that his kid chose to be born the same night that some swinging Latin band was playing the State Theater, thus causing him to miss the gig. The kind of person who would pay to see bands five nights a week and drink shit beer and complain about paying $8 for a good beer.

The Red Room actually has quite a good craft beer selection for what it is (a bar at a rock club).  It's quite underrated, always about 5 good craft selections down there which go below most peoples radar.  Which is fine by me.  I've never gone there and not found something worth drinking and was able to enjoy it without being surrounded by douchebags (I too agree the red room has no place on this list); bonus points that I go upstairs and get to see a show afterward. 

Didn't a keg of hopslam last over a week there earlier this year?