Author Topic: Pitchfork writers needed  (Read 13456 times)

mankie

Re: Pitchfork writers needed
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2004, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] Positive reviews are borrrrrrrring. I for one would love to read Mankie's trashing of various albums, assuming they are well written and offer cogent arguments. Hell, I'd even enjoy him trashing stuff I like if he makes a good argument.

What a great idea!!!!

Wouldn't it be interesting if we could figure out how to get cd's to each other (easily), then we could select a favourite album then choose a board member to review it for everyone. There would have to be an honor system that the review is to be done as honestly and be as objective as they can, ("It's shite and the singer is a pretentious wanker" wouldn't be acceptable) and we have to select the reviewer by thinking of the one who would most probably like it the least.

Bags

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2004, 05:11:00 pm »
That would be a cool idea, Mank.  God, someone will give me Wilco or Cracker.  But I'd promise to listen closely.  You know what would be cool about it?  Really examining what it is that causes you to dislike a song, album or band.  What an interesting exercise.

markie

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2004, 05:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
   who would most probably like it the least.
If its not country or americana, you could just give it to Rhett, if its not 80s britpop give it to Mankie, if its not cheesy 80s pop/metal give it to Guiny.

mankie

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2004, 05:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

who would most probably like it the least.
If its not country or americana, you could just give it to Rhett, if its not 80s britpop give it to Mankie, if its not cheesy 80s pop/metal give it to Guiny. [/b]
If it's not the new hip/hyped/trendy/15minute band...give it to markie!

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:

Besides, we need reviews written about good music. Not sure your tastes (Waterboys, cough, cough) really cut it.
You must be very young. [/b]
No, not at all...if you referring to my dislike for everything I've heard from Mike Scott and crew, that has everything to do with my taste, not my age. Mankie's love for the Beautiful South, another band I tried and hated, futhers my feelings on the above issue. Again, nothing to do with my age. I love and appreciate plenty of bands whose careers ended before the Waterboys' began. [/b]
Allow me to correct myself...we need reviews written about music that we anticipate might be good, by bands we know to put out good music, with a sound we think has a good chance to be good. Your taste in music makes me think at least half of your CD collection doesn't fit that mold. Which means your reviews might speak highly of shit, while giving no respect to the good stuff.
These quotes make me think that Big Yawn will not be particularly objective. The Waterboys and Beautiful South are just two bands with fairly long histories and critical acclaim that potential readers of, and writers for, Big Yawn may enjoy, much to  your dismay. It is likely that many artists that  you enjoy happen to enjoy bands  you despise.

You are running the risk of making Big Yawn's editorial perspective too narrow and irrelevant. You don't have to invite everyone to the party but you have to mix it up some. All thumbs up or down is boring; Ebert and Roeper are most entertaining, and elucidating, when they disagree.
😐 🎶

Bags

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2004, 05:36:00 pm »
-edit- sorry Mank, didn't notice that you hadn't written the last post.

Beets, bigyawn is starting out mixed -- including a review of the Peter Gabriel new greatest hits CD.  It's really early on, but it looks like it should be not overly one-sided.  And, so far this year I don't think there have been any new Beautiful South or Waterboys CDs.     ;)

redsock

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2004, 05:54:00 pm »
  ]These quotes make me think that Big Yawn will not be particularly objective. The Waterboys and Beautiful South are just two bands with fairly long histories and critical acclaim that potential readers of, and writers for, Big Yawn may enjoy, much to  your dismay. It is likely that many artists that  you enjoy happen to enjoy bands  you despise.

You are running the risk of making Big Yawn's editorial perspective too narrow and irrelevant. You don't have to invite everyone to the party but you have to mix it up some. All thumbs up or down is boring; Ebert and Roeper are most entertaining, and elucidating, when they disagree.
Look Beats...you need to take a step back and view those quotes in perspective. As I stated previously, this all started with sarcasm, and Mankie and I, as well as Mankie and just about everyone else, have a history of sarcasm. My comments to him were based almost entirely on that premise. Though I do think Waterboys and the Beautiful South suck.

In terms of my site...I take offense to the point you are trying to make. The writers on thie site are free to review absoultely anything they want to. I try to provide some CD suggestions when I can, which consist of bands with some sort of reputation, i.e. Basement Jaxx, or bands with no reputations (some local bands we are reviewing[not exit clov]). And the writers are free to feel and write anything they want regarding the CD's. The point of the site is to promote good music, regardless of the form it comes in. At the same time we need to alert folks to crap too. If a writer wanted to review a new Waterboys CD, knock yourself out. Whetehr you love it or hate it, as long as you express yourself intelligently, it works for me. And of course, there will be plenty to disagree with.

We are just starting up, and it is a bit of an up-hill struggle. There is all sorts of weird crap we have to review. So please be patient as we try to find our niche, and reserve any judgments till then. (thanks Bags)

redsock

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2004, 05:56:00 pm »
  You don't have to invite everyone to the party but you have to mix it up some.
And you're still invited to the party. It's tomorrow night.   ;)

mankie

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2004, 06:00:00 pm »

Though I do think Waterboys and the Beautiful South suck.

[/b]
Exellent and open-minded review on two very successful, long running bands, with great insight into your thoughts and opinions, thank you. I'll throw all the cd's of theirs I have away.

brennser

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2004, 06:00:00 pm »
And, so far this year I don't think there have been any new Beautiful South or Waterboys CDs.
not this year (2004) but the waterboys did release an album last year.....drum roll please.....which was crap! (and thats from someone who thinks Mike Scott is a genius)

redsock

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2004, 06:03:00 pm »

Though I do think Waterboys and the Beautiful South suck.

[/b]
Exellent and open-minded review on two very successful, long running bands, with great insight into your thoughts and opinions, thank you. I'll throw all the cd's of theirs I have away. [/b]
See Beats, sarcasm!!!! at least I think so  :roll:

mankie

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2004, 06:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:

And, so far this year I don't think there have been any new Beautiful South or Waterboys CDs.
not this year (2004) but the waterboys did release an album last year.....drum roll please.....which was crap! (and thats from someone who thinks Mike Scott is a genius) [/b]
Universal Hall was pretty good, certainly not his best work, and more like his solo stuff than Waterboys.

Beautiful South released Gaze in late 03. A good album for Beautiful South fans, but not one to convert narrow-minded ignorant fuckers like redsock.

redsock

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2004, 06:04:00 pm »

not this year (2004) but the waterboys did release an album last year.....drum roll please.....which was crap! (and thats from someone who thinks Mike Scott is a genius) [/b]
That's actually the one I heard. Perhaps there is something better.

brennser

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2004, 06:09:00 pm »
quote:
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not this year (2004) but the waterboys did release an album last year.....drum roll please.....which was crap! (and thats from someone who thinks Mike Scott is a genius)

That's actually the one I heard. Perhaps there is something better.  
well then, if THATS the only one you've heard I can understand your antipathy somewhat

you need to listen to A Pagan Place or This is the Sea - fantastic stuff - Fishermans Blues if really good too in a trad/folk/rock kinda way

mankie

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2004, 06:18:00 pm »

That's actually the one I heard. Perhaps there is something better. [/b]
Yet more proof of open-minded reviewing...."THEY SUCK" after listening to just one album..."the album sucks" I'll accept, but how can you say a band who's been around for over 20 years SUCKS after listening to one album?

How many Beautiful South albums did it take to bring you to the same conclusion....ONE maybe?

Looks like bigyawn will be just that from judging the early going of the reviews it's churning out.