Author Topic: The new Howard Theatre  (Read 4914 times)

hutch

Re: The new Howard Theatre
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »
I really think the show to see was the Iota show about two years back with Juliana Hatfield.. still bummed I didn't make it

I saw Evan Dando once -only time so far- at the old Tower Records on Pennsylvania Avenue.. must have been about 1994 or 1995.. he signed my Creator CD or whatever its called..he did a bunch of songs on acoustic guitar (solo)..was real good... I still think It's A Shame About Ray is one of the great records ever..

lagas

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 05:20:51 pm »
their staff sucks
Really? Been there twice, once for a seated show, another for GA, and neither time did I have a problem with the staff. Even with a busy bar I didn't have to wait very long to get a drink.

went there to see Van Der Graaf Generator a few months ago, seated show, lots of empty tables unfortunately...which made the constant chatting by the bartenders and waiters and everybody else all the worse. You could not hear the music without feeling irritated by the lack of professionalism of the staff. Several patrons complained angrily to waiters until some higher level guy appeared and he apologized, but the chatting resumed a couple songs later.

I agree the place is nice, but I'm not coming back, unless it's van der graaf again...
zorra

todd711

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:11 pm »
The Howard does use goldstar for some shows. I got Howard Jones as well as Mark Kozelek at 1/2 price. You can get notified from from goldstar when The Howard has new events listed. They didn't offer 1/2 price tickets for The Furs.

Driveway

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 10:38:26 pm »
I thought about going to this, but I opted for the AWESOME Sea Wolf at DC9 instead.  How were the Lemonheads?  I use to always go see them, but I've grown tired of them always playing the same old, old, songs.  They also seem to get sloppier every time I see them.  The 'Shame About Ray' show at the Black Cat was kind of terrible.  I wish they'd play some songs written after 1996... Is that asking a lot?

They have albums after Car Button Cloth or whatever ?

yep.  Evan has a great solo album called 'Baby I'm Bored.'  There is also an album called 'The Lemonheads' which is really great.  The covers album 'Varshons' mostly sucks, but at least it's something.
Evan is very talented and does an awesome show when he actually gives a shit.

James Ford

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 08:24:54 am »
Remember the good old days when artists actually did acoustic in-stores? When there were actually record/cd stores?

I saw Evan do one in what must have been 1990 or 1991. Indeed it was quite good. Maybe one of my top ten in-store shows of all time. Helped that he played a couple or three of Gram Parsons covers, who I was really into at that time. And he didn't just do like five songs and leave, he played for like an hour or something.

I really think the show to see was the Iota show about two years back with Juliana Hatfield.. still bummed I didn't make it

I saw Evan Dando once -only time so far- at the old Tower Records on Pennsylvania Avenue.. must have been about 1994 or 1995.. he signed my Creator CD or whatever its called..he did a bunch of songs on acoustic guitar (solo)..was real good... I still think It's A Shame About Ray is one of the great records ever..

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 08:39:27 am »
Remember the good old days when artists actually did acoustic in-stores? When there were actually record/cd stores?

CD Cellar in Clarendon has regular in-stores (usually local artists).

Soundgarden in Baltimore regularly has in-stores of touring artists.  My favorite lineup was on Record Store Day this year when they had Trampled by Turtles and GWAR back-to-back; I really hoped those two would do a song together, but I don't think it worked out.  Anyway, I generally try to list Soundgarden's in-stores on my calendar, but I think the only one they have coming up right now is Yellowcard.

K8teebug

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 08:42:43 am »
Soundgarden in Baltimore also has regular in-stores.

James Ford

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 09:07:05 am »
Soundgarden is in Baltimore.

CD Cellar in Clarendon has regular in-stores (usually local artists).

Soundgarden in Baltimore regularly has in-stores of touring artists.  My favorite lineup was on Record Store Day this year when they had Trampled by Turtles and GWAR back-to-back; I really hoped those two would do a song together, but I don't think it worked out.  Anyway, I generally try to list Soundgarden's in-stores on my calendar, but I think the only one they have coming up right now is Yellowcard.

showlistdc

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 10:35:04 am »
Soundgarden is in Baltimore.

Sorry, what's your point?  I'm up in Baltimore at least once a week for concerts-- plenty of bands play there but don't stop in DC proper.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47:24 am »
i think james's point was . . . who gives a shit about baltimore?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:59:35 am by walkonby »

hutch

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 11:31:11 am »
Kemp Mill on Wisconsin Ave used to do instores...

I can't for the life of me remember who I went to see there...if anybody...

Also the old Sugarshack used to be a record store in Arlington and Kristin Hersh did an instore there once..

I think Red Onion has done a few instores....

showlistdc

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 11:38:11 am »
Smash does instores too.

hutch

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 11:44:57 am »
I want to say I saw Steve Earle and Del Mcoury at the Borders or whatever on 19th street that recenty closed..this would have been around 1999

James Ford

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »
I saw Emmylou Harris (with Buddy Miller on guitar) at the same Borders. It was very crowded. I think her daughter was actually an employee and local college student at the time. Or something like that.

The saddest instore I saw in DC was when Alejandro Escovedo played DCCD in front of me, a friend, and the store clerks. And I wasn't really even a fan. Not sure why nobody turned out, it was before he managed to parlay the media attention to his illness into a surge in popularity (sounds mean to say that, but it did seem that way...I'm sure some would argue he had a burst of creative inspiration following his illness).

I want to say I saw Steve Earle and Del Mcoury at the Borders or whatever on 19th street that recenty closed..this would have been around 1999