Author Topic: Hard Rains a-Coming  (Read 10525 times)

Yada

Re: Hard Rains a-Coming
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 12:22:02 pm »
Kinda seems like the Truman Show round' these parts... Did this really happen?

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »
What you experienced last night is called "autumn" in Ireland.

hutch

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 01:32:59 pm »
29 people dead..so far..

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
I'm calling bust on this. Everyone is too well prepared.
i wouldnt say complete bust but the DC area definitely could have experienced a LOT worse. I wonder if the derecho actually helped in that regard with culling out any weakened trees and possibly having pepco fortify things a little more against future storms

If by 'bust' you mean 'all busted up', than you would be right.  ::)

Here on the coast, it's a real mess. Lots of busted up stuff, flooded out places and other damage. You guys got lucky. Very, very lucky!

Being in a very sound building and not on the ground or top floor, I figured it would be safer for me to stay put rather than chance all of the low lying roads and bridges regardless of which routes I would take. Made the right choice.

Talked with my boss this morning and the place is closed. Though my power is fine and didn't even get as much as a flicker, theirs is out. Their phones are out but mine are fine. No water damage at all at my place but they were still assessing the water damage but there definitely is water that found its way in. I'm just glad that I had been scheduled to be off. Read online that they would be closed but didn't get a call to come in if I wanted until too late to hear my voice mail. By the time I called in, they decided that I not come in anyway as it turned out there really wasn't much for me to do. Don't know how it will affect the following days. Then again, I may pick up some extra time since I've got the easiest commute compared to others who live over the various bridges.

Raging blizzards in Western Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Yes Virginia, there is life outside of DC.  ::)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 01:35:54 pm »
29 people dead..so far..

At least someone else recognizes that this wasn't just some minor leaf blower.

eltee

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 01:48:37 pm »
What you experienced last night is called "autumn" in Ireland.
haha. I wrote something similar to someone last night!

No. VA got lucky other than a few trees down. We've had our share though in blizzards, and the recent floods and derecho, and follow up storm. Obviously not as bad as what they see in other states or from Sandy.

And I get the whole work thing - got up at 5:30 am yesterday - no announcements or replies to my emails until about 8...and I had a meeting so I just cashed it in, hoping I could nap at some point. Yeah, that didn't happen. When I zipped out for a little bit at noon the wind picked up, but didn't again until 2 pm, then 6 pm, the 8pm. I noticed the winds were not steady they would come in gusts then die down...not sure if that helped where I was located. (interesting theory brenns about weakened trees being yanked in recent storms)

Glad you are okay, Jaggy. :*

Yada

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2012, 02:44:20 pm »
29 people dead..so far..

At least someone else recognizes that this wasn't just some minor leaf blower.

I don't think the storm in general was a leaf blower, but in the DC area proper, it was a leaf blower comparing it to even Derecho.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2012, 03:09:44 pm »
This morning I set my alarm for 7:45 and 8:45 and had not been contacted by my office. My boss had said "assume you have the day off unless I contact you", so I figured I was in the clear. I got a phone call at 10:15 asking where I was. Turns out my boss had texted me at 9:15, but since it was a mass text message I didn't get it because I didn't have my 4G on.

This drives me fucking insane. NO essential work communication should be sent via any medium other than phone call. You can't fuck up a phone call. You can't send a phone call and "not receive it" if the caller leaves a voice mail (assuming cell phone service is in place around the region). And because you are a fucking grownup and a fucking professional, if no one answers when you call, you keep calling until someone answers your call.

Seriously, how difficult is this, no matter if you have to call one or 20 people?

Oppressed Employee: Hello?
Boss: Hey Joe Blow, just got the order that we are indeed working today, see you in the office.
Oppressed Employee: Got that, boss. See you in an hour.

Instead of all the himming and hawing over "did you get my text/email????"

On the other hand, you can "not" receive text messages and too many people assume everyone has internet and phones hooked up to work email, nevertheless working power and/or cable and internet.

We've had major communication fails from my work's HQ all morning. Not one single person from HQ sent an email regarding DC or NYC offices being open, despite doing as much Sunday night, and other than my BS status check, we've had no ACTUAL DIRECTION from my superiors as to whether we're working from home today or not.

But because it's shitty out and I hate fighting these STUPID fucking battles my work makes me fight, I'm working like normal from home.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:12:33 pm by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

notme

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2012, 03:49:18 pm »
what is a "boss"?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly