Author Topic: Audiophiles, I Summon Thee  (Read 13736 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Audiophiles, I Summon Thee
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2022, 01:30:55 pm »
first criteria for selecting what to play is familiarity: do you know what the music is supposed to sound like?  have you heard it a million times on other good sound systems?

forgot to add: personally, the first Shpongle album and RATM are my go-to's. 
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2022, 01:36:56 pm »
  here are a few "reference albums" that i've read are common among audio engineers when tuning a system:

That's a lot of time to spend in your car just to test your sound system...

A couple of quick hits just to make sure it's dialed in, then take your massive cross country roadtrip with Sweets list.

To test placement, balance, connectivity, I start with Oasis' "D'You know what I Mean" - there's a one minute intro with sounds all over the place before the mix of guitars drums and bass come in.

To test the bass/subwoofer levels I use Daft Punks "Doing it Right" (the long intro allows for a lot of adjusting), XX "Angels", and Taylor Swift's "I knew you Were Trouble" (A Max Martin/Shellback dubstep bass drop refrain is perfect for tuning).  RTJ's "Legend Has it" is also good. 

For vocals I used to almost always use Mazzy Star's "Fade into you" but have recently added Cigarettes after Sex a lot - usually "Sunsetz" and the MTV unplugged's version of "Take on Me," probably in reverse order of how I listed them there.

And then lastly, an addition to Sweetcell's pretty good list would be Sturgill Simpson's "Sound and Fury" album because of the breadth of sounds.

EDIT: Shit, somehow I left off Pet Sounds.  I usually use God Only Knows, but Sloop John B works too.
You forgot to log in to the Hutch account.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2022, 01:59:59 pm »
forgot to add: personally, the first Shpongle album and RATM are my go-to's. 

That reminded me a story a former student (who now has a job at the university) recently told me about how the students were always confused about how when I was assigned to monitor the protests, which were inevitably about me as a member of the administration, I would always sing along to the songs they were playing in the quad.  "It was weird that we would play RATM and none of us knew the songs as well as you did.  Who is this guy in a suit singing along to Rage?"

My friends call me smack.  Vansmack.
27>34

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2022, 02:04:09 pm »
when I was assigned to monitor the protests, which were inevitably about me
ok...now I want to know more about this story line...pics would be nice
slack

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2022, 11:57:52 am »
You forgot to log in to the Hutch account.

Steely Dan - Aja
27>34

Yada

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2022, 11:13:41 am »
My Peachtree iNova amp of nearly 11 years blew out over the weekend...due to a home improvement project.  Fuck me.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2022, 12:06:38 pm »
My Peachtree iNova amp of nearly 11 years blew out over the weekend...due to a home improvement project.  Fuck me.
wha happend...were you getting the led out or did you drop something on it?
slack

Yada

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2022, 02:07:05 pm »

So we had a small project taking place in our home that was creating a TON of dust... we left town for a week and I took apart/unplugged everything and packaged it away.

Hooked up everything Sunday and BOOM... right when I turned on the record player the speakers kind of crackled and and electrical burn smell came from the amp. Not sure if it's coincidental, bad timing, caused by dust, or I didn't thoroughly ensure everything was good to go before turning it back on.

I bought a cheap Sony amp for $150 last night at Best Buy and everything is working... so now I just need to decide if i want to

1. Trade in the old amp for a $200 credit for a new one
2. Attempt to get it fixed
3. Say fuck it and keep the cheap sony

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2022, 04:00:05 pm »

So we had a small project taking place in our home that was creating a TON of dust... we left town for a week and I took apart/unplugged everything and packaged it away.

Hooked up everything Sunday and BOOM... right when I turned on the record player the speakers kind of crackled and and electrical burn smell came from the amp. Not sure if it's coincidental, bad timing, caused by dust, or I didn't thoroughly ensure everything was good to go before turning it back on.

I bought a cheap Sony amp for $150 last night at Best Buy and everything is working... so now I just need to decide if i want to

I would try to get a repair quote. Might just be a bad capacitor.

vansmack

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2022, 04:01:10 pm »
Might just be a bad capacitor.

Are you saying his capacitor is in flux?
27>34

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2022, 04:13:07 pm »
Might just be a bad capacitor.

Are you saying his capacitor is in flux?

Great Scott, you might be right.

Yada

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2022, 04:43:46 pm »

I would try to get a repair quote. Might just be a bad capacitor.

Peachtree direct doesn't repair this product any longer and Gramophone is charging $150 just to look at it but will put that fee towards repair IF it can be fixed.

Any other DMV suggestions?

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 04:45:48 pm »
not at all my field of expertise, but I will say in IT/Pluming...typically it's going to be $150 to even have them take a peek
slack

Yada

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2022, 04:58:36 pm »
not at all my field of expertise, but I will say in IT/Pluming...typically it's going to be $150 to even have them take a peek

Hence my reluctance based on age of product and original cost.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 05:41:16 pm »
Any other DMV suggestions?

Try turning it off and turning it on again. That usually works.

If not, give it a good, swift kick in the side.