Author Topic: This news does not appeal  (Read 20466 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: This news does not appeal
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:57:17 am »
LOL, I just called Nirvana "Mom Rock" yesterday on Facebook and some people got really pissed.

BOOM! The ultimate mom musician Pauly McCartney
‼‼?‼‼

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »
I would be annoyed at calling Nirvana "mom rock" because it's just a brainless comment that's meant to be "So! Random! LOL"
oword

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:16:28 pm »
It's not random. It was a calculated attack on an overrated band, a band that ruined rock n roll to the effect that we're still feeling today. A band that was in the right place at the right time but has been so overrated ever since. I like Nirvana, I don't think great or one of the greatest rock bands ever. They killed hair metal [I guess that sucks?] but they brought misery to the music and that led to fucking rap/rock, which inspired your nickelbacks and now Coldplay is called "Rock" for some fucking reason. Nirvana was the head of a shit train that's now plowing through this generation leading to Rick Ross and 2 Chainz being insanely popular when they couldn't hold a fucking candle to the hip hop and rap albums coming out 20 years ago.

But, times change, and I just think Nirvana is overrated. Didn't meant to troll.
‼‼?‼‼

imbecile

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:23:33 pm »
Nirvana killed hair metal and led us to rap/rock and Nickelback?

You don't honestly believe what you just wrote do you?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:29:06 pm »
I'm not saying that there was a direct correlation between Nirvana/Grunge to Limp Bizkit/Rap-Rock, but there is NOTHING between there with any sort of impact. Since then, what has there been? Kings Of Leon? Muse? There has been no rock band that stands above all other music and that's what upsets me. Guns N Roses was the height of popular music, Nirvana was, unfortunately Limp Bizkit and Korn were. And since then? Pop dribble and insanely shitty rap.

Grunge killed or helped put an end to hair metal. Cmon.
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:35:40 pm »
dude get yourself Dirtbombs, Ash,  Whigs, etc albums already... There are plenty of dirty rock and roll bands out there, just because the masses don't listen to them don't make them bad.  who cares what the American Idol fans listen to really?  Simon Cowell is more responsible for the death of rock music than Nirvana
T.Rex

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:38:09 pm »
god i hate opinions . . . go away.

K8teebug

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:39:41 pm »
I just don't want to hear Paul McCartney singing their songs.  It makes my heart hurt.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »
Oh, no, I don't care what people listen to and I think there are TONS of rock bands out there that totally rule ass from the 90s that "mainstream" or whatever didn't listen to or weren't launched to the pinnacle of popular music, it just frustrates me that rock n roll isn't the musical juggernaut it once was. Especially with this dance music explosion and auto tune, where is the talent in what's popular? It's all made in a factory and every couple of years [even months] another computer generated pop star is formed and shit out and sold to everyone. It just sucks to see what's popular now versus what was popular then, but I guess 20 years ago they thought it was better 20 years before then...

I mean, Linkin Park? Cmon.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 12:43:05 pm »
I just don't want to hear Paul McCartney singing their songs.  It makes my heart hurt.
You don't want to hear Sir Paul sing "Rape Me"? Cmon!
‼‼?‼‼

K8teebug

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 12:56:44 pm »
You don't want to hear Sir Paul sing "Rape Me"? Cmon!

Okay.  Maybe that.  But, I doubt he will be singing that one tonight.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/dec/12/paul-mccartney-kurt-cobain-nirvana

The former Beatle will join Foo Fighters singer Dave Grohl and bassist Krist Novoselic on stage in New York to play a new song after secretly working with the pair. Grohl and Novoselic have not performed with each other for 20 years.

so there we go, not paul singing nirvana songs. but then again the article also says dave and krist havent played together in 20 years, which is false, so who knows.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 01:12:42 pm »
Lol, they didn't play with each other............. after Nevermind.
‼‼?‼‼

imbecile

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 01:16:58 pm »
I don't disagree at all that popular music isn't very good right now.  I'm sure a lot of people like it, thus it being popular, but certainly not my cup of tea.. and not yours either.

However, I think that has more to do with just the natural cycle of music.  It seems the general style of what's popular cycles every so often (I'll say 10 years for arguments sake).  Nirvana and the "grunge" era was 20 years ago.  Was Nirvana responsible for the late 90's being dominated by rap?  Probably not.  People just moved on from rock.  Before them it was hair metal (good riddance to it being dead, by the way), before that disco or whatever they listened to in the 70's and then 80's. 

Another theory - Do you not remember New Kids on the Block or Milli Vanilli?  Shitty music was popular before Nirvana and will continue to be popular.  It's not Nirvanas fault that a large portion of music consumers are completely unwilling to differentiate between talented artists and complete hacks propped up by autotune and slick production which offers no substance.  Most people who buy and listen to music, don't actually care about music as much as you do.  As Kosmo said, good music is out there, it's just not popular, with few exceptions, it's never really been popular.  The early 90's, looking back, was a very rare period where good music was also popular, but there was also a fair share of crap at that time as well.

I like Nirvana a lot and think they were highly influential.. but to say that they started a chain of events that led to the soulless vacant music of today, while also causing people on a mass scale to actually like this music is a very large leap.  I'm not sure anyone is that influential.  It just happened.