Author Topic: This news does not appeal  (Read 20437 times)

James Ford

Re: This news does not appeal
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
When I was in my early 20's, I thought punk and new wave was the only truly innovative rock music and I scoffed at classic rock.

Then I grew up.

atomicfront

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 11:12:48 am »
When I was in my early 20's, I thought punk and new wave was the only truly innovative rock music and I scoffed at classic rock.

Then I grew up.

I am glad I am not an old man like you.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 11:15:40 am »

Then I grew up.
lol, I still dig new wave, there's a lot of 80s shit that sucks, but I can't argue against The Cure or Tears For Fears and so on.
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 01:00:26 pm »
80's music sucks?? Feelies, Volcano Suns, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Minutemen, Firehose, Black Flag, Pixies, Throwing Muses, the Fall, Dinosaur Jr., Meat Puppets, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Killing Joke, Magazine, Minor Threat, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Public Image Limited, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, The Replacements, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Rites of Spring, Big Black, The Smiths, Dead Milkmen, Social Distortion, X, Galaxie 500, Bad Religion, Butthole Surfers, the Chills, the Clean, the Clash, Cocteau Twins, The Cramps, The Cure, The Damned, Hoodoo Gurus...oh yeah, absolutely nothing good in any of those.

And for the record, Nirvana may seem overrated and completely played to death, but in 1991 they came in like a huge breath of fresh air. For those not alive or too young to remember it, if you were 16 and heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for the first time (even if you were a fan of the Pixies), it still sounded like a revolution of sound. My friends that were into hair metal literally dropped that stuff overnight and started wearing flannel and going to Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam concerts. That's what Nirvana did. They brought an end to the excess of the popular 80's arena rock. A lot of other bands could have done it. But they made the sort of record that was in the right place at the right time. It's still a great LP. And if it didn't sell 10 million copies, nobody would say it was overrated. It'd be another "Loveless".

Relaxer

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 01:30:05 pm »
Hell yeah Bearman, great post.
oword

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2012, 01:32:25 pm »
Just my opinion. I think it's overrated. Doesn't mean I don't like Nirvana. Just think GNR is better. Personal preference.
‼‼?‼‼

bearman🐻

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »
Thanks Relaxer.

As for underrated early 90's music, I still think "Meantime" by Helmet is one of the greatest achievements from that era and never gets its due. I'll listen to that any day over "Nevermind".

hutch

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2012, 01:51:28 pm »
I can't stand to listen to Nevermind anymore. has not aged well at ALL... trompe le monde.. now that is a great record.

80s were great but the best was 1994-1995.. good lord talk about a lot of great music

i personally think the "excesses of arena rock" that got washed away..some of them at least.. are majorly missed... sad that it became uncool to be able to play a guitar solo for example... or to look like you were having fun.. or to be extroverted...or flamboyant... Nirvana and its revolution brought a lot of good but also a lot of bad... when bearman (edit: or maybe i'm getting you confused with kosmo) you can't find new music you like and you wonder why you ought to begin by looking at Nirvana

listening to the stray cats choo choo album from 1992 which got lost in that revolution

bearman🐻

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2012, 01:57:18 pm »
Trompe le Monde is another tremendously underrated LP. It's not Doolittle, but boy does it kick ass. I think people don't like the fact that there's not much Kim Deal on it. I think songs like "Letter to Memphis", "Bird Dream", and "Motorway to Roswell" are some of Black Francis' finest songs.

bearman🐻

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2012, 01:58:08 pm »
I can find new music I like, it's just much more unlikely that I'll find a lot of it.

hutch

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »
its always been interesting to me, also, how the bands that were the first alternative bands that MTV played a lot... bands like Jane's and in particular, Faith No More with Epic which was on 24-7, never get any credit..its like Nirvana came in and everything changed 100% but it was not so.. if you were there you saw it.. MTV started moving in that direction before Nirvana.. big record labels were buying up alternative bands before Nirvana... they were paying major ducats for new alternative bands before Nirvana.. all this has been written out of the history with the overly simplistic "Smells like Teen Spirit" changed everything... I guess its easier for people to think like that..

hutch

« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »
Trompe le Monde is another tremendously underrated LP. It's not Doolittle, but boy does it kick ass. I think people don't like the fact that there's not much Kim Deal on it. I think songs like "Letter to Memphis", "Bird Dream", and "Motorway to Roswell" are some of Black Francis' finest songs.

Trompe is my favorite Pixies  record....its a masterpiece. I bought it the week it came out at the Tower in NYC and it blew me away..

I'm not going to get into a comparison but when I go on rateyourmusic and see people hold Bossa Nova in higher esteem than Trompe Le Monde I really have to laugh...

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2012, 02:14:12 pm »
i personally think the "excesses of arena rock" that got washed away..some of them at least.. are majorly missed... sad that it became uncool to be able to play a guitar solo for example... or to look like you were having fun.. or to be extroverted...or flamboyant... Nirvana and its revolution brought a lot of good but also a lot of bad... when bearman (edit: or maybe i'm getting you confused with kosmo) you can't find new music you like and you wonder why you ought to begin by looking at Nirvana

Exactly how I feel. What's wrong to want to hear some fucken shredding in a rock song these days!?

Also, I fucking LOVE Faith No More. I always heard "Epic" but started listening to them more and more and actually like them a lot. To be honest I didn't know anything about them when I was a kid so I don't know their relevance during the 90s. But I dig them.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2012, 02:24:25 pm »
They brought an end to the excess of the popular 80's arena rock

How is headlining Madison Square Garden, broadcast to millions not arena rock? I saw Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers. Touring on their first albums. AT A HOCKEY ARENA.

Grunge was just a new form of arena rock. Just a little more morose in the attitude.

hutch

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2012, 02:31:57 pm »
They brought an end to the excess of the popular 80's arena rock

How is headlining Madison Square Garden, broadcast to millions not arena rock? I saw Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers. Touring on their first albums. AT A HOCKEY ARENA.

Grunge was just a new form of arena rock. Just a little more morose in the attitude.

Not just a very contrived morose.. also fake.. all one has to do is look at the pictures of Mother Love Bone to realize what a fake Pearl Jam was...Mother Love Bone was trying to be Guns and Roses because that was the game and a year later Pearl Jam was trying to be Nirvana because that was the game.. you do the math... its fine.. everyone has to put bread on the table but lets not kid ourselves... and it wasn't just Pearl Jam..it was all of them.. .all these bands moving to Seattle...

It often amuses me how much people pick on Stone Temple Pilots saying they ripped off Pearl Jam when Pearl Jam was one gigantic corporate rock rip off. Sorry Eddie.. .love you and everything but ain't blind.