Author Topic: This news does not appeal  (Read 20430 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: This news does not appeal
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »
I think you have the careers of Sponge and Pearl Jam mixed up their ;)
T.Rex

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »
They brought an end to the excess of the popular 80's arena rock

How is headlining Madison Square Garden, broadcast to millions not arena rock? I saw Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers. Touring on their first albums. AT A HOCKEY ARENA.

Grunge was just a new form of arena rock. Just a little more morose in the attitude.
Oh, so at this rate, Mumford & Sons is arena rock too?

Derp. You know better than that, cmon James.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:57 pm »

Chess King or Merry Go Round.

Ding Ding Ding Hutch scores the win.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:54:12 pm by James Ford »

James Ford

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »
I guess it's whatever you dislike is arena rock, and whatever you like is not arena rock.

Right?

How is headlining Madison Square Garden, broadcast to millions not arena rock? I saw Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam opening for Red Hot Chili Peppers. Touring on their first albums. AT A HOCKEY ARENA.

Grunge was just a new form of arena rock. Just a little more morose in the attitude.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2012, 03:00:05 pm »
That's wrong, I like arena rock. I don't like Mumford & Sons. BUT, by your logic, M&S would be arena rock because they play arena's..... Quit not getting my point, it's annoying.
I guess it's whatever you dislike is arena rock, and whatever you like is not arena rock.

Right?

‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:35 pm »
Hutch only scored a body blow... as only two member of Pearl Jam were in Mother Love Bone, Eddie wasn't a member.
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2012, 03:25:54 pm »
Hutch only scored a body blow... as only two member of Pearl Jam were in Mother Love Bone, Eddie wasn't a member.

If you want more I can go dig up my Pearl Jam biography from the basement... ;D

Honestly I don't even care that Pearl Jam were a bunch of fakes... everyone has to play the game.. I'd say Pearl Jam evolved in a way that they are now more genuine anyways.. but in the early days good lord....

wasn't there a Time magazine cover with Eddie doing his best Jesus Christ? maybe not.. guess I misremembered.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:40:48 pm by hutch »

Relaxer

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2012, 03:49:38 pm »
Oh hey here's Jimi Hendrix who will always be remembered for being a doo-wop guitarist because some dickhead douchebag who refers to himself in the third person said so.

oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »
Game playing/bandwagon jumping is almost a requirement to make it to big times sometimes and rhe reason I brought up Sponge is they were the masters of it.  Prior to being Sponge they had some success as Loudhouse a very much in the vein of Jane's Addiction outfit.  During the transition from Loudhouse to Sponge the drummer switch to a singer.  Between State Fair gigs as Sponge he was doing various Alt-Country bands on the side.

Of course who can forget the whole Matchbox 20 history of leading singer sacking his band prior to being sided.

And I thought that at one point in Scott Weiland's career he was in some sort of Duran Duran influenced outfit...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:54:53 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2012, 03:54:51 pm »

slappy

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2012, 04:04:06 pm »
80's music sucks?? Feelies, Volcano Suns, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Minutemen, Firehose, Black Flag, Pixies, Throwing Muses, the Fall, Dinosaur Jr., Meat Puppets, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Killing Joke, Magazine, Minor Threat, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Public Image Limited, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, The Replacements, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Rites of Spring, Big Black, The Smiths, Dead Milkmen, Social Distortion, X, Galaxie 500, Bad Religion, Butthole Surfers, the Chills, the Clean, the Clash, Cocteau Twins, The Cramps, The Cure, The Damned, Hoodoo Gurus...oh yeah, absolutely nothing good in any of those.

I get where you're coming from but technically Social D, Killing Joke, The Fall, The Damned, The Clash, The Cramps, Magazine, The Cure, The Feelies, X all were formed and making records in the 70s. If you're just going by songs from the 80's your list gets way bigger with Bowie, Paul Simon, Talking Heads, The Jam, etc. making considerable contributions in the 'rock' genre.

bearman🐻

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2012, 04:27:27 pm »
I'm talking arguable creative and artistic peaks. Just because someone picked up a guitar in 1979 doesn't mean they were at their best. Some Clash fans think Combat Rock is one of their very best LP's. And as for Talking Heads, they released great music in the 80's, but I prefer the 70's stuff. But that's just taste. They're still a terrific band.

hutch

« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:11 pm »

And I thought that at one point in Scott Weiland's career he was in some sort of Duran Duran influenced outfit...

well he  must have been very young but that would be actually consistent... there's no doubt that there is a Roxy Music/Bowie glam element to Stone Temple Pilots and it is self-evident and acknowledged.. Roxy was of course,  other than Japan (an influence they fail to mention because its simply outright theft more than influence), the biggest influence on Duran Duran.

atomicfront

« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2012, 06:43:05 pm »
80's music sucks?? Feelies, Volcano Suns, Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Minutemen, Firehose, Black Flag, Pixies, Throwing Muses, the Fall, Dinosaur Jr., Meat Puppets, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, Killing Joke, Magazine, Minor Threat, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Public Image Limited, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, The Replacements, Ministry, Revolting Cocks, Rites of Spring, Big Black, The Smiths, Dead Milkmen, Social Distortion, X, Galaxie 500, Bad Religion, Butthole Surfers, the Chills, the Clean, the Clash, Cocteau Twins, The Cramps, The Cure, The Damned, Hoodoo Gurus...oh yeah, absolutely nothing good in any of those.

I get where you're coming from but technically Social D, Killing Joke, The Fall, The Damned, The Clash, The Cramps, Magazine, The Cure, The Feelies, X all were formed and making records in the 70s. If you're just going by songs from the 80's your list gets way bigger with Bowie, Paul Simon, Talking Heads, The Jam, etc. making considerable contributions in the 'rock' genre.

Paul Simon released decent music in the 80's?  Kodachrome came out in 1973.

Relaxer

« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2012, 07:18:29 pm »
Graceland is rock canon whether you like itor not.
Rhythm of the Saints is a highly underrated classic.
oword