Author Topic: RE: CT School Massacre  (Read 52317 times)

vansmack

Re: RE: CT School Massacre
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2012, 03:56:48 pm »
Don't delete on FB.  Just block their feed from your timeline, that way if you have to go back and see their timeline, you can.  Plus they won't try to re-add you as a friend later and thus put you in an awkward spot...
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »
Don't delete on FB.  Just block their feed from your timeline, that way if you have to go back and see their timeline, you can.  Plus they won't try to re-add you as a friend later and thus put you in an awkward spot...
Who cares if it's awkward.  Do we really have to justify to someone why we don't want to hear where they had lunch or what was on their kid's report card?  Beyond just telling them "I don't really know you, and I don't really care what you ate for lunch today."?

Now lets get back to talking about how Obama is coming for our guns.

vansmack

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »
Who cares if it's awkward.  Do we really have to justify to someone why we don't want to hear where they had lunch or what was on their kid's report card?  Beyond just telling them "I don't really know you, and I don't really care what you ate for lunch today."?

Because you never know what life has in store for you and when you made need to reach out to someone.  You don't have to heed my advice, but I wanted to point out that there was a much simpler scenario than deleting folks individually.
27>34

chaz

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2012, 04:15:04 pm »

Because you never know what life has in store for you and when you made need to reach out to someone.  You don't have to heed my advice, but I wanted to point out that there was a much simpler scenario than deleting folks individually.
I hear ya.  I just got a different style, that's all.  It takes a village.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »
FUKIT

chaz

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2012, 04:22:36 pm »

Well, we better nuke up then. 

Times have changed.  Don't you think our founding fathers would have had the sense to adapt to the times and to an evolving society?  Or were they just a bunch of flashlight collectors too?

And just for the record, it's a widely held belief that the above quote is, in fact, a misquote.  And a substantial one at that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:31:32 pm by chaz »

hutch

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »

so because he said that in 1787 it applies today? (not to mention I strongly suspect they wanted the masses armed to the teeth because they didn't really have a professional army yet and were fearful the English would re-attack, etc.)

Be real man.. they also had slaves, treated women like shit, etc etc... but we changed... same goes with guns.

Times change..some things have to adapt.

chaz

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2012, 04:32:41 pm »
I don't mean to make light of the Constitution.  But can't the pro gun lobby/population do anything to defend their point other than invoke it? 

slappy

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »

Well, we better nuke up then. 

Times have changed.  Don't you think our founding fathers would have had the sense to adapt to the times and to an evolving society?  Or were they just a bunch of flashlight collectors too?

And just for the record, it's a widely held belief that the above quote it, in fact, a misquote.

Seriously! A good shooter could only get off 3 shots from a musket in a minute.
http://www.history.com/videos/musket-loading-how-fast#musket-loading-how-fast

I'd go along with Washington's dubious quote when we all go back to muskets and wooden dentures.

Today's weapons are designed for mass destruction in the most accurate and fastest time possible. More bang & blood with less thinking. Mutually assured destruction always leads to the innocent dying.

slappy

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2012, 04:36:49 pm »
I don't mean to make light of the Constitution.  But can't the pro gun lobby/population do anything to defend their point other than invoke it? 
Buy that man a beer!

hutch

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2012, 04:41:07 pm »
Pretty sure our founding fathers, many of whom were brilliant men who also had a very pronounced pedagogical interest, would not stand for it when people said to them "But the constitution you wrote protects the right to buy multiple weapons, semi-assault rifles, ammunition clips and carry them wherever and in some cases even concealed!" I'm supposed to believe Thomas Jefferson who went to great lengths to found what is now the University of Virginia, in the wake of the Viriginia Tech shootings would say "Hey, nothing we can do..." Or that people like John Adams, extremely learned, would say "Hey they are just crazy people! Watchagonnado bro? People is bad!" Our founding fathers were obsessed with looking at what other countries were doing, with studying history, with comparative government, with picking the best things, expanding on them, learning, PROGRESS... but yeah, they wrote the Constitution, added the Bill of Rights, and then figured "That's it! Done for eternity! Never to be bettered!"

chaz

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2012, 04:57:06 pm »
Just fyi...the actual quote is:

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2012, 04:58:31 pm »

does anybody seriously think they're going to overthrow the government?  the arch-conservatives are certain that Obama is a muslim anti-american communist-fascist who is going to destroy society as we know it, etc etc etc... but where are the armed masses?  why aren't they "defending themselves from the government", the supposedly worse one we've ever known?  if ever there was a time for second amendment nutjobs to rise up, now is the time!

but... once again, crickets.  why?  because an armed takeover of the government is impossible today.  ask the branch davidians, crazies in cabins in montana, etc.  like slavery, armed uprisings don't fit in this day and age.  saying that you need an AK-47 to "defend yourself against the government" is a lie and a criminally negligent excuse.

this so-called justification for keeping guns is NULL AND VOID.

(p.s. note his use of the term "disciplined" in chaz's correction - as in belonging to a trained militia.  not redneck yahoos who want to own assault rifles because it makes them feel manly).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:00:02 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2012, 05:04:52 pm »

(p.s. note his use of the term "disciplined" in chaz's correction - as in belonging to a trained militia.  not redneck yahoos who want to own assault rifles because it makes them feel manly).

and boy was GW into discipline.. to the point he used a pseudo machine/contraption called a "horse" to punish/torture loafers, etc..

John Adams, one of the key founding fathers, thought the US form of government would evolve fairly quickly.. there is no way he though the Constitution and its Bill of Rights would be taken as sacred word not to be ever re-interpreted...

He'd be shocked, as I think would most founding fathers, to see we are still governed by it. The idea that we would interpret their words in the Constitution to mean that people should have access to multiple semi-automatic rifles, ammo clips etc would be foreign to them...

Really it is the Supreme Court that has failed us more than anything...I'm not sure why their rulings on this issue are so out of wack with common sense.

vansmack

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2012, 05:07:20 pm »
does anybody seriously think they're going to overthrow the government? 

Does anybody seriously think they're going to change ratbastard's mind?

And more importantly, does it matter?

I hope each of you puts as much effort into changing the minds of Federally elected officials.  All the power is in their hands right now...
27>34