Author Topic: Show Conflict(s)  (Read 47760 times)

hutch

Re: Show Conflict(s)
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 03:05:00 pm »
I bet the difference is much greater in the Washington DC area, where a disproportionate amount of white people are highly educated people who choose to delay having children until later in life, while the non-white population is disproportionately poor and choose to have children at signifcantly younger ages.

This in turn no doubt contributes to higher fertility rates among non-white women.

stop digging!  the idea is the same: stereotyping a group of people based on race is kind of...racist... there are plenty of black people having kids later in life.. and plenty of white people having kids earlier in life....

saying things like "black people all like to eat watermelon and have babies in their teen years..." kind of became unacceptable and accepted as racist a few decades ago....

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 03:14:27 pm »
nevermind SideOfHash, I got confused about the Ween in Philly show vs. Luna..

I don't think SideHash bought a ticket for Luna

you did...no luna purchase...yet
although $45 is making it harder racist comments aside

so are we getting to the level of blocking with that....
do we put this to a vote?
slack

hutch

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 03:20:07 pm »
well Birchmere capacity is 500... I really don't think this will sell out although you never know... I will not pay any charges as I will get my Luna ticket night of show or stop by venue (I'm tempted by Peter Wolf on June 1 so maybe if I go I get a ticket then..)..$35 already feels like a lot to me! But show prices are just really going through the roof here in this area.. I mean even Alejandro Escovedo is $35 and Delbert Mclinton is like $45.. there are hardly any shows that cost less than Luna at the Birchmere...

I think we can't take out Space Jam until Julian returns...the board could not withstand it.... maybe we can work out a trade between them... sort of like for like if you will.... maybe they could be on the board on a rotating basis going forward?

Space Freely

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2016, 03:22:26 pm »
Another staggering stat:

Dorius found that a multiple-father type of family structure was more common among minority women, with 59 percent of African-American mothers, 35 percent of Hispanic mothers and 22 percent of white mothers reporting children with more than one father.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42364656/ns/health-childrens_health/t/us-moms-have-kids-multiple-dads-study-says/#.VyzuoHn2b9I

Space Freely

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2016, 03:24:08 pm »
well Birchmere capacity is 500... I really don't think this will sell out although you never know... I will not pay any charges as I will get my Luna ticket night of show or stop by venue (I'm tempted by Peter Wolf on June 1 so maybe if I go I get a ticket then..)..$35 already feels like a lot to me! But show prices are just really going through the roof here in this area.. I mean even Alejandro Escovedo is $35 and Delbert Mclinton is like $45.. there are hardly any shows that cost less than Luna at the Birchmere...

I think we can't take out Space Jam until Julian returns...the board could not withstand it.... maybe we can work out a trade between them... sort of like for like if you will.... maybe they could be on the board on a rotating basis going forward?

They charge service fees at Birchmere even if you buy the tickets at the box office the night of. At least that used to be the case. Not sure if they charge the entire fee or just part of it.

hutch

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2016, 03:27:21 pm »

They charge service fees at Birchmere even if you buy the tickets at the box office the night of. At least that used to be the case. Not sure if they charge the entire fee or just part of it.

ok then.. I'll start pinching my pennies then.. thanks for the warning! That does suck.. I think that rules out Peter Wolf for me..although maybe i can find a way to outsmart them.. i note CHris Issak tickets for the Monday show can be had on Stubhub for $60.. they cost $95 plus charges I think..

4) Ticket Service Charges:
Ticketmaster service charges are set up by Ticketmaster and we do not have any say in the matter. Tickets purchased at the Birchmere Box Office, will have a $5.50 service charge per ticket. This charge is for our Box Office Staff, Parking, and Security. ?We want you here, happy & safe!?
*As of July 1, 2005 the City of Alexandria has passed an Admissions Entertainment Tax of 50 cents per ticket sold. This tax has been added to the Service Charge. Therefore all tickets purchased at The Birchmere Box Ofc will have a $5.50 service fee, which includes this new tax.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 03:29:19 pm by Thurston »

killsaly

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2016, 12:55:42 pm »
I have a triple conflict for next Saturday. 

The Snails at Ottobar: Pros; the Snails are always a good time.  This would be free with my Ottobar pass. Cons; I have already seen them twice, including once this year.

Agoraphobic Nosebleed at Black Cat: Pros; I am really digging the sound they have on their new EP.  I have never seen them before.  Cons; I hate the Black Cat main stage. 

Hello Taiwan Tour at the Crown:  Pros; This will be a ton of artists.  I have only seen some of the Baltimore ones, all of the Taiwanese rappers and idol groups will be new to me.  I like the Crown.  Cons; 11 artists??? That is a festival.  I am not sure I want to do a festival this weekend.

killsaly

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »
Justin Bieber at Rofo Arena or Guided by Voices at 9:30 Club?

killsaly

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2016, 04:59:38 pm »
5/26
Minus the Bear at Ottobar
VS
The Body and Krieg at Metro Gallery
VS
Maryland Deathfest Show at Rams Head Live

killsaly

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2016, 01:57:15 pm »
Sep 11
Tribulation, Horrendous, Youth Code at Rock and Roll Hotel
versus
Real Numbers and Expert Alterations at the Ottobar
versus
WWE Backlash in Richmond

Bagley

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2016, 04:10:04 pm »
sept 10

Specials- Fillmore

Sean Watkins- Amp

Felice Bros- R & R Hotel

Hari Kondabolu - 6th & I

Lez Zeppelin- State Theatre

Lumineers- Merriweather

Corinne Bailey Rae- Lincoln

Mike Stern - Blues Alley

MAGA 2020

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2016, 04:20:30 pm »
September 12

The Anniversary @ RnR

Redskins opening game vs the Steelers

Wifes birthday

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2016, 05:16:01 pm »
Drewtang

wifes birthday...

so how long have you been married?
Do you have kids...and a sitter lined up?
Who wears the pants?
is she a steelers fan?

oh and 9 posts...going to have to work a lot harder
but good two sub-twodigit quandry
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:18:11 pm by SideofBacon |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

MAGA 2020

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2016, 06:43:43 pm »
Married almost 6 years.
One 6 month old child but my parents live close by so babbysitting isnt a problem.
We are both Skins fans.
Bought tickets before I realized it was on her birthday.
She is also a mild fan of the band and wouldnt "mind" going. 

I think we could go out for an early dinner that afternoon (we both took the day off), go to a bar for some of the Skins game and then hit the show...but I'm lazy and thats a lot for a Monday.  We'll see.

killsaly

« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2016, 06:18:06 pm »
October 13th has several shows that I am trying to choose between.

- Jpegmafia, CURTA, Butch Dawson, eu-IV, Zheep at The Windup Space (local hip hop show featuring three of my favorites (JPEG, Butch, Zheep) and two people I have never heard)

- Discharge, Eyehategod, Toxic Holocaust, Old Lines, Humanmania at Baltimore Soundstage (I will probably not do this one... Although the lineup is sick, at least for the top three bands)

- Merchandise, Public Memory, Flasher at DC9 (Merchandise made one of my favorite "post punk"/whatever releases this year (along with Preoccupations being my other favorite of 2016) and Flasher are always good.  I do not know the other band, but if I really like them after checking them out, it could help my decision)

- DJ Shadow at 930 Club (My fiancée expressed desire to go to this, but she does not usually want to go to shows on week nights.  I think it would be fun, even not having loved his newest record (and she definitely has not heard it)