Author Topic: Van Halen Sucks  (Read 42028 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Van Halen Sucks
« on: February 08, 2013, 06:02:43 pm »
From front to back, top to bottom.  With any singer.

Sure Eddie is a skilled player but i could give two shits about his microtonal techniques.  Dave's vocal acrobatics were impressive at times.  But generally this is just bad music. 

Was going to post this in the other thread but didn't want Kosmo to publicly flog me.

That is all.

vansmack

Re: Van Halen Sucks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 06:06:27 pm »
VlaspHemy.
27>34

atomicfront

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 06:07:37 pm »
Their first album is pretty awesome... I don't care about eddie's guitar playing.  Saying he is the number one influencers of guitarists is pretty silly.  I certainly don't hear his guitar stylings in other bands today.  I would think Porl thompson's work with the cure has influenced a lot more current bands than him. Or even Robin Guthrie.  

Maybe some shit cover band guitarist at some redneck bar might have Eddie's stylings but bands that people actually listen to, not so much.

atomicfront

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 06:11:35 pm »
as for actual good guitarist today.  I like that chick from warpaint and jenn from wye oak. 

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 06:27:14 pm »
Pretty much every rock guitar player throughout the 80s was aping what EVH did. I'm not saying he influenced great guitarists but to deny his influence means you're not aware of what the 80s rock scene was. There are better guitarists, more skilled guitarists, more innovative, but no one inspired more than a decade of popular guitar work than EVH apart from Chuck Berry who really started the whole rock guitar thing in the first place.
oword

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 06:28:44 pm »
So there's RatBastard:

Eddie is WAAAAAY over hyped.  Basically a poser.

And there's these guys:

"I think Eddie Van Halen is just a fantastic guitarist."- Ted Nugent 1979.

"I think I'm quite interested in Eddie Van Halen. He plays funny, and I like that. I think it's original...He uses a tremolo arm and has his own runs and styles, and it's good. I like the way he has chosen. It's really flashy."
-Michael Schenker 1981.

"Right now Eddie Van Halen is the top. It seems like every kid wants to learn his licks. He's right up there where Clapton was years ago."
-Leslie West 1980.

"There are many great players. Eddie Van Halen is great-I dont want to get near competing with people like him."-Randy Rhoads 1981.

"I always thought Edward was great. He's a fantastic guitar player." -- Allan Holdsworth

"What a wonderful musician...absolutely the pinnacle of guitar playing in our lifetime." -- Brian May

"Without a doubt, Eddie Van Halen is the greatest guitar player who has ever lived." -- Zakk Wylde

"Eddie's got the best right hand in the business, drop-dead timing and tone for days. He's a master guitarist and a great songwriter. I will always be a big fan of his playing." -Joe Satriani

"I was 12 years old when I heard the first VH album. If I live to be 100, I don't think I'll ever be blown away like that again. Then I saw them live in '79 on the second album tour. It was absolutely life changing." -Paul Gilbert

"EVH, by far, is the most innovative and bad-*bleeped* guitar player to date, and has managed to harness this magic for over 25 years. To this day, I still turn to my VH records for ideas and inspiration. Long live Edward Van Halen!!" -"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott

"Edward raised the bar on rock guitar playing. Actually, he most certainly reinvented it and that happens only three or four times a century. When a person plays an instrument, they wear their personality on their sleeve. There has always been an inspired yet intimate simplicity to Edward's musical expressions, not to mention a little iron ore, too." -Steve Vai

"Genius? This record is pretty much the record that made me want to buy a Marshall amp. It's
Eddie, man. Whoever just thinks he was a solo player and only inspired a generation to solo
missed the whole light on what Eddie's all about.-Nuno Bettencourt on Fair Warning 1992.

"I met Eddie at the Les Paul Tribute show years ago (1987) and he seemed like a very nice young man. I'm often asked what I think about guitarists outside the world of blues, you know, far as rock players like Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. I've always believed that Jimi, while he was alive, became the number one rock 'n' roll guitarist of all time. Having said that, I must also say that I believe Eddie is a close second. After Jimi died, that's when my opinion went to Eric Clapton as the number one guy. Next to Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, I can't think of too many people who've done more for rock guitar than Eddie Van Halen." -B.B. King

"You hear so much about Zeppelin, AC/DC, Kiss, Pink Floyd, and other old bands like that (rightfully so), but to me, far above them all was Van Halen (mainly the first six albums). Doesn't anyone remember how they completely made other bands look like wimps? And as for Eddie, no guitar player since him has even come close to touching his little toe. Everything about his playing was unique, mind-blowing, and full of emotion." -Jason Becker

"I was immediately impressed with his smooth, musical instincts when we were playing together. He seemed to pick supporting parts that were solid, simple, but had some rhythmic variation. When he took a solo, it was always fluid and natural. When we played our first gig, he invited us to his home to hang out from soundcheck until gig time. He and his wife were very gracious. I particularly like playing with very talented people, and he has tons of talent!" -Steve Morse

"If you had a guitar poll, I'd put Edward Van Halen in the first five slots and then the next five would start opening up." -Billy Gibbons

"I admire Eddie Van Halen and Steve Lukather, but they might blow me away quite easily if we were to jam together." -Eric Clapton

"These days I don't look to other people with the objective of trying to steal their licks, although I've got no objections to stealing them if that seems like a good idea. I'm sure that I'm still influenced by Mark Knopfler and Eddie Van Halen as well......I can't play like Eddie Van Halen. I wish I could. I sat down to try some of those ideas and can't do it. I don't know if I could ever get any of that stuff together. Sometimes I think I should work at the guitar more." -David Gilmour

"Eddie Van Halen was probably the most influential." -Tony Iommi

"What draws people to the instrument is the love for guitar players that play a certain way. I mean, even though it wasn't intentional, it was hard to avoid copying Eddie Van Halen. He was basically the *bleep* back then." -Tom Morello

"Eddie brought tapping to the forefront, and I still think he was one of the tastiest players doing it." -Jeff Beck

"I do think Van Halen reinvented the guitar...he's an excellent musician, a shrewd guitarist, and as a person he is wonderful." -Richie Blackmore

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

"I never saw Eddie playing live with Van Halen until the very end of Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, so I never saw the original but I heard the records, and he was just awesome, he was great. I hope his health is doing better, I don't know what's going on with that, but he rewrote the book, kind of like Hendrix and Clapton. He was the next guy to actually turn it all around." -Eric Johnson

"I definately didn't start thinking about doing any two-handed tapping until after I heard
Van Halen. His influence is way beyond just tapping, but it is the most obvious thing
that he brought to the guitar culture. He's just totally musical."-Vernon Reid 1992.

"I had a band called White Horse who played with Van Halen a few times at Gazzarri's. Ed was always great...my mouth would fall open." -Mick Mars

"I was like *bleep*, what am I gonna do now? To see everything you thought you knew about guitar playing change right before your eyes, at your very own show. Talk about depressed. But I knew I had to learn from this guy. He was doing something new, and I had to get with the program if I ever stood a chance of competing." -George Lynch

"People always think the guitar is reaching its limits. They thought guitar music was stagnating in the late 70's, and then Eddie Van Halen comes in and changes everything. For my money, Eddie was the first significant new kid on the block. Very dazzling. And I think he played a vital role in keeping kids interested, because they could look up to this cheeky little guy with a big smile. He flew the flag well, I think." -Jimmy Page

"No one can play guitar like Eddie. He took everything that went before him and said, I've heard all that before. And then introduced all the finger-tapping stuff that he does. And not only is he a great player, he's a great showman, and that's what it's all about." -Joe Perry

"When I heard the first Van Halen album, I couldn't believe how great the guitar playing was--and I heard that album at a point when I didn't like any of the new guitar players. I mean, he totally changed the whole guitar field--and he's still as great now as he's ever been. I would love to jam with him." -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

"You hear so much about Zeppelin, AC/DC, Kiss, Pink Floyd, and other old bands like that (rightfully so), but to me, far above them all was Van Halen (mainly the first six albums). Doesn't anyone remember how they completely made other bands look like wimps? And as for Eddie, no guitar player since him has even come close to touching his little toe. Everything about his playing was unique, mind-blowing, and full of emotion." -Jason Becker

So pretty close, I'd say.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 06:59:01 pm »
Plus he kicked the bass player out so his son could join the band.  What a dick. 

Great technique.  But horrible taste, and a jerk.

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »
Plus he kicked the bass player out so his son could join the band.  What a dick. 

Great technique.  But horrible taste, and a jerk.

I'm not arguing on behalf of his personality...it's quite obvious that his dependence issues mixed with his perfectionist issues made him an unbearable prick to deal with.

But honestly, Michael Anthony might have been the King of Freeload when it comes to all-time band members.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 08:10:28 pm »
Van Halen... where did it all go wrong?  I've given it a lot of thought starting in high school because they were definitely the biggest band at my school about 1985... all the kids in bands worshipped them...no, there were no punks at my school...but bands like Rush, Van Halen and the Scorpions were the bands

Eddie is a prick... of that there is ample evidence....but whatever one thinks of him as a person he revolutionized guitar playing in the late 70s/early 80s....i'm not sure why there is this tendency to put down technique... i think its due to the 90s slacker/ironic culture that took over where you're supposed to look like you're not even trying and if it is studied its "fake" (and try to look like you're having a bad time or something)....now with everyone moving to brooklyn and recording stuff on a computer the idea of a guy who was gifted at actually playing a musical instrument is very passe....  its bad to be talented.. bad to sing well.. bad to draw attention to an actual guitar solo  etc etc...

as far as van halen i find their david lee roth years stuff to be real fun... one can only wish more up and coming bands tried to look to them and of course AC DC the greatest band ever ( ;D)...its very rock and roll...its fun .... its about fun.....its a party...it can be traced back through ac dc (I am pretty clueless about guitar but Angus does tapping..it just seems to always be one handed... one of Eddie's innovations seems to me was to use both hands to tap on the guitar neck) all the way to chuck berry....it has showmanship etc.. with sammy things went south immediately and they turned into purveyors of schlock... van halen was great, van hagar not... Eddie's ego killed the band.  I prefer David Lee Roth's first few solo albums to anything Van Hagar did.. not because DLR is amazing but he was clever to surround himself with amazingly gited musicians like Vai and Sheehan.... also recording a version of  Eat them and Smile entirely in Spanish takes some cojones.

i was real ticked off about how they dicked over michael anthony but what could one expect?... i do think michael anthony's harmonies were an important ingredient as was his persona (again, FUN).. if they hadn't dicked him over i'd have gone to finally see them but I just didn't feel right about it..

nkotb

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:32:03 pm »
What about Jack White?

atomicfront

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:35:32 pm »
So hutch you mention a bunch of guitarists but a lot of them came before Eddie so I don't think you could say he influenced them and paul mccartney is a bass player.  Anyway no one on in that list is someone I would listen to now.  I guess you kind of proved my point that eddie really has no influence today.  Maybe that sound will come around again but right now his style  is quite dead.  

But I will say compared to Jeff Beck, Eddie actually produced music worth listening to at one time.  The van hagar stuff is shit.  And even some of the later david lee roth van halen stuff is worth listening to.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18:37 pm »
I thought they fired Anthony because he sided with Hagar.  Not because EVH's kid wanted to go on the road and eat all day.

Not so?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 09:19:59 pm »
paul mccartney is a bass player

He can play a few more instruments than that (and plays them well).

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 09:20:14 pm »
Pretty much every rock guitar player throughout the 80s was aping what EVH did. I'm not saying he influenced great guitarists but to deny his influence means you're not aware of what the 80s rock scene was. There are better guitarists, more skilled guitarists, more innovative, but no one inspired more than a decade of popular guitar work than EVH apart from Chuck Berry who really started the whole rock guitar thing in the first place.

1) The 80s was the WORST era ever for music EVER.
b) Edward did NOTHING original.  He merely copied what great guitar players did but not as well.
III) Those who 'aped eddie' were by proxy only copying the greats that edward copied.
D) Eddie is the biggest poser ever on stage.

FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 09:23:05 pm »
So there's RatBastard:

Eddie is WAAAAAY over hyped.  Basically a poser.

And there's these guys:

"I think Eddie Van Halen is just a fantastic guitarist."- Ted Nugent 1979.

"I think I'm quite interested in Eddie Van Halen. He plays funny, and I like that. I think it's original...He uses a tremolo arm and has his own runs and styles, and it's good. I like the way he has chosen. It's really flashy."
-Michael Schenker 1981.

"Right now Eddie Van Halen is the top. It seems like every kid wants to learn his licks. He's right up there where Clapton was years ago."
-Leslie West 1980.

"There are many great players. Eddie Van Halen is great-I dont want to get near competing with people like him."-Randy Rhoads 1981.

"I always thought Edward was great. He's a fantastic guitar player." -- Allan Holdsworth

"What a wonderful musician...absolutely the pinnacle of guitar playing in our lifetime." -- Brian May

"Without a doubt, Eddie Van Halen is the greatest guitar player who has ever lived." -- Zakk Wylde

"Eddie's got the best right hand in the business, drop-dead timing and tone for days. He's a master guitarist and a great songwriter. I will always be a big fan of his playing." -Joe Satriani

"I was 12 years old when I heard the first VH album. If I live to be 100, I don't think I'll ever be blown away like that again. Then I saw them live in '79 on the second album tour. It was absolutely life changing." -Paul Gilbert

"EVH, by far, is the most innovative and bad-*bleeped* guitar player to date, and has managed to harness this magic for over 25 years. To this day, I still turn to my VH records for ideas and inspiration. Long live Edward Van Halen!!" -"Dimebag" Darrell Abbott

"Edward raised the bar on rock guitar playing. Actually, he most certainly reinvented it and that happens only three or four times a century. When a person plays an instrument, they wear their personality on their sleeve. There has always been an inspired yet intimate simplicity to Edward's musical expressions, not to mention a little iron ore, too." -Steve Vai

"Genius? This record is pretty much the record that made me want to buy a Marshall amp. It's
Eddie, man. Whoever just thinks he was a solo player and only inspired a generation to solo
missed the whole light on what Eddie's all about.-Nuno Bettencourt on Fair Warning 1992.

"I met Eddie at the Les Paul Tribute show years ago (1987) and he seemed like a very nice young man. I'm often asked what I think about guitarists outside the world of blues, you know, far as rock players like Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen. I've always believed that Jimi, while he was alive, became the number one rock 'n' roll guitarist of all time. Having said that, I must also say that I believe Eddie is a close second. After Jimi died, that's when my opinion went to Eric Clapton as the number one guy. Next to Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, I can't think of too many people who've done more for rock guitar than Eddie Van Halen." -B.B. King

"I was immediately impressed with his smooth, musical instincts when we were playing together. He seemed to pick supporting parts that were solid, simple, but had some rhythmic variation. When he took a solo, it was always fluid and natural. When we played our first gig, he invited us to his home to hang out from soundcheck until gig time. He and his wife were very gracious. I particularly like playing with very talented people, and he has tons of talent!" -Steve Morse

"If you had a guitar poll, I'd put Edward Van Halen in the first five slots and then the next five would start opening up." -Billy Gibbons

"I admire Eddie Van Halen and Steve Lukather, but they might blow me away quite easily if we were to jam together." -Eric Clapton

"These days I don't look to other people with the objective of trying to steal their licks, although I've got no objections to stealing them if that seems like a good idea. I'm sure that I'm still influenced by Mark Knopfler and Eddie Van Halen as well......I can't play like Eddie Van Halen. I wish I could. I sat down to try some of those ideas and can't do it. I don't know if I could ever get any of that stuff together. Sometimes I think I should work at the guitar more." -David Gilmour

"Eddie Van Halen was probably the most influential." -Tony Iommi

"What draws people to the instrument is the love for guitar players that play a certain way. I mean, even though it wasn't intentional, it was hard to avoid copying Eddie Van Halen. He was basically the *bleep* back then." -Tom Morello

"Eddie brought tapping to the forefront, and I still think he was one of the tastiest players doing it." -Jeff Beck

"I do think Van Halen reinvented the guitar...he's an excellent musician, a shrewd guitarist, and as a person he is wonderful." -Richie Blackmore

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

"I never saw Eddie playing live with Van Halen until the very end of Van Halen with Sammy Hagar, so I never saw the original but I heard the records, and he was just awesome, he was great. I hope his health is doing better, I don't know what's going on with that, but he rewrote the book, kind of like Hendrix and Clapton. He was the next guy to actually turn it all around." -Eric Johnson

"I definately didn't start thinking about doing any two-handed tapping until after I heard
Van Halen. His influence is way beyond just tapping, but it is the most obvious thing
that he brought to the guitar culture. He's just totally musical."-Vernon Reid 1992.

"I had a band called White Horse who played with Van Halen a few times at Gazzarri's. Ed was always great...my mouth would fall open." -Mick Mars

"I was like *bleep*, what am I gonna do now? To see everything you thought you knew about guitar playing change right before your eyes, at your very own show. Talk about depressed. But I knew I had to learn from this guy. He was doing something new, and I had to get with the program if I ever stood a chance of competing." -George Lynch

"People always think the guitar is reaching its limits. They thought guitar music was stagnating in the late 70's, and then Eddie Van Halen comes in and changes everything. For my money, Eddie was the first significant new kid on the block. Very dazzling. And I think he played a vital role in keeping kids interested, because they could look up to this cheeky little guy with a big smile. He flew the flag well, I think." -Jimmy Page

"No one can play guitar like Eddie. He took everything that went before him and said, I've heard all that before. And then introduced all the finger-tapping stuff that he does. And not only is he a great player, he's a great showman, and that's what it's all about." -Joe Perry

"When I heard the first Van Halen album, I couldn't believe how great the guitar playing was--and I heard that album at a point when I didn't like any of the new guitar players. I mean, he totally changed the whole guitar field--and he's still as great now as he's ever been. I would love to jam with him." -Yngwie J. Malmsteen

So pretty close, I'd say.

You REALLY think that 99.999% of quotes of these type are not just hype and fluff?  I know many musicians personally who absolutely cannot stand others in the field but publicly they praise these same players.  Its all part of the game.
FUKIT