Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141957 times)

Relaxer

The Whisk(e)y Thread
« on: March 12, 2013, 03:46:10 pm »
Figured we have a beer thread so for those of us who like things a little stronger, here is a whisky thread.

I'm a bourbon man all the way. Almost every night, I go home and have about 2.5 ounces of this

along with a splash of simple syrup, maybe 5 dashes of bitters, and a drop of water. So good. Willett goes up to 20+ years but then you're talking big money. I like the 13 year because you can find it for under $100 and even the snobbiest drinkers will like it.

If I'm feeling like a cocktail, I'll make this iteration of a Manhattan.
4 ounces of

2 ounces of Vya sweet vermouth, 2 ounces of Grand Marnier and 8 ounces of orange juice. Mix with ice in shaker and enjoy ~3 glasses.

The other day I asked some alcoholic buddies where I should begin with scotch. I've had it before but it just never appealed to me. They all agreed on a recommendation, so I swung by Schneiders on the way from work yesterday and bought a bottle of

Looking forward to trying it tonight.
oword

i am gay and i like cats

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »
i was going to ask, "what is the (e) for?" but then i read

http://www.thekitchn.com/whiskey-vs-whisky-whats-the-di-100476

brennser

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:19:29 pm »
hmmm not sure I'd recommend Laphroaig to a Scotch virgin - its a peat/smoke bomb, which while very very good is a fairly extreme example of the style - there are lots of other significantly different, and in some respects, more approachable Scotches

And lets not forget the fairest maiden of them all - Irish Whiskey - here are some very worthy examples that are well worth while seeking out

Relaxer

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 04:35:39 pm »
I had a feeling (re: the scotch recommendation) that there was an element of "look how big my dick is" but while I am somewhat of a scotch neophyte, I'm accustomed to bourbon that's extremely strong so hopefully I can get over the heat and focus on the nuance, so to speak.
oword

nkotb

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:41:07 pm »
Where's this specialty thread?

"look how big my dick is" 

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:42:06 pm »
I do love this idea...I don't know enough about whiskey/scotch/bourbon.  I'll never been that guy (similar to beer...I like to try new things but I'll never have a cellar full of vintage bottles), but it's good to know where to start.

Carry on.

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:51:53 pm »
I got into whiskey two ways. First, I had a boss who introduced me to lunchtime Manhattans. Except he was an 80+ year old man and after lunch, he'd go home and take a nap and I'd have to go back to work. I actually got into trouble when this woman reported to the boss that I was drinking on the job. When we had our inevitable talk about it, he started out with "well this is awkward."

The second was after a hundred+ times of bringing a six-pack to a party, a friend of mine said "Dude, just pick up a pint bottle of whiskey. It's so much easier and it's cooler." And I thought to myself, hey he's right!

But I gotta say, there is something so satisfying about sipping a fine drink that is 62% alcohol. We're not animals.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:09:27 pm »
I just got convinced that I need to now own that Redbreast Cask Strength so I'll be going to Schneiders again.
oword

stevewizzle

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:51:00 pm »

a favorite as of late.

imbecile

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:31:30 am »
hmmm not sure I'd recommend Laphroaig to a Scotch virgin - its a peat/smoke bomb, which while very very good is a fairly extreme example of the style - there are lots of other significantly different, and in some respects, more approachable Scotches

I was going to make this exact comment after the opening post.  Laphroaig is indeed a bold move for a first try at scotch.  That being said, the Quarter Cask is mellower than their other iterations.  That also being said, Laphroaig was also my first scotch way back and it hooked me in a big way and the brand is still my go-to.

I'd go for something from the Highlands after the Laphroaig to emphasize the contrast in flavors available while still having the smoke from the Islay scotches.  Don't listen to people who say that Highland Park is an intro scotch for ladies, it's a good intro for anyone (more body I'd say than Laphroaig).  Also, for the price (really inexpensive), Cragganmore is really solid as well, which is a Speyside scotch.

On the other end of the spectrum and more subtle than the above are the big guys we've all heard of Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Macallan.  In this realm (Lowlands) some solid intros (again, relatively inexpensive) would be Balvenie Double Wood and Aucentoshan 10yo.

Yada

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 10:41:13 am »

K8teebug

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:48:23 am »
thank you so much for this thread.  Super new to whiskey.  Husband and I have decided it's time we learn to appreciate it!  So far, my favorite is Redbreast...

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 10:53:34 am »
Regarding scotch, also research which ones might be best with a lemon twist, neat or with a small cube or two of ice. By a small cube of ice, I mean one of those tiny bar/restaurant cubes, not those humongous home refrigerator cubes. Break it down if at home. Sometimes it helps cut the heat or strength if you aren't use to such a drink although some (usually the better ones) scotchs are destroyed by ice. A lemon twist will sometimes add just the right enhancement like a spice to some foods. Keep in mind, that's a lemon twist, not a slice of lemon. Don't even go there! A raw oyster is nice too with some of them but that's a pain so you may want to wait until you're in the right bar for that one. Once you develop a taste for scotch, it's a pretty nice drink but drink very, very sparingly because it will kick your ass!

HoyaSaxa03

(o|o)

James Ford

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 11:06:33 am »
Why? (just curious)

Super new to whiskey.  Husband and I have decided it's time we learn to appreciate it!