Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141995 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 12:05:07 pm »
Well, I tried the Laphroaig last night. Had 2 ounces with a splash of water in my fine Glencairn glass. Kicked back and relaxed and... BLECH. I conclude that I just don't like scotch or at least, I don't like it yet. It was such a sweet relief to then pour a glass of the Willett bourbon and return to Flavor Country.

That said, I am going to get a bottle of that Redbreast Cask Strength because I want to try it. I tried Schneiders last night but they didn't have it. I suspect the liquor store on 9th Street across from the Convention Center will have it. That place is great.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:13 pm »
you were warned that Laphroaig was a bold place to start... stuff is really, really peaty.

what about going to a bar and sampling there?  might be better to spend $6-10 on a taste vs. $50+ on a bottle.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 12:28:10 pm »
Are you guys into whiskey for the taste or the buzz?

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 12:32:37 pm »
I love the taste of bourbon. In fact, while I definitely enjoy the buzz, it can be a hindrance because I don't like to get drunk. So if I'm drinking Willett, which is up to 130 proof, I can only enjoy two of them before I hit that limit of "Okay, enough." Last night, I was wishing I could've had another but after the glass of scotch and the rescue glass of bourbon, I'd hit the limit.

Also, I just found this description of Islay scotch:
Islay

These whiskies?s come from the island of the same name and give them a full flavour peaty malts often with flavours of iodine and tar.

Oh yummmmm! I just love the flavor of iodine and tar.

oword

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 01:01:01 pm »
For those needing training wheels for scotch or just trying to use up a bottle just to get rid of it, you may want to try these ideas. Not at all what I would recommend to a scotch drinker though since it's like mixing cider and water into your beer. Or taking a good steak and loading it up with ketchup, A1 and fried breading. What a waste!

Mix your scotch with Coke. Like a rum and Coke but with a different liqour edge.

Mix your scotch with milk. Sounds weird but not as bad as it sounds.

Now bourbon is something I can't stand, especially in a very sweet cocktail like a Manhattan. Way too sickening sweet for me. Great for cooking and baking but I've rarely had a bourbon drink that I can handle. Jack Black neat isn't bad though.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:03:11 pm by Jaguar »

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 01:14:52 pm »

Yes, yes, drink from me. But I can't promise it will be neat.
oword

Jaguar

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:19 pm »
^ I knew something was wrong with that. Got the brand wrong. I was thinking of Johnny Walker Black (the Red is nasty!). He's a much more proper gentleman.

Edit: Scratch that too! That's scotch but not that great of a brand.

I don't know what it was I had that I didn't mind. Could have sworn that it was some sort of a black lable bourban and thought it was some sort of a Jack Daniels. I don't know. It was many years ago and never went back.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:31:31 pm by Jaguar »

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 10:27:09 pm »
Just finished a bottle of good, but middling, Catoctin Creek Roundstone Rye, and I'm about to tuck into a High West Double Rye, which I'm really excited about.
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 08:02:06 am »
Bought a bottle of Bushmills 10.  Loving it.  The vanilla notes especially.

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 10:01:58 am »
I don't think I've had a High West that I didn't like, and I've loved some of them. That was the beauty of the Red Palace. They carried most, if not all, of the High Wests as long as all sorts of other ryes and you could try them out without dropping $40+ for a bottle.

I think I'm going to walk up to Modern Liquors today and get a new bourbon based solely on how cool the bottle looks. They have all these craft-y looking brands there and I want to try something new.
oword

Jaguar

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 10:23:07 am »
Be careful buying based on cool bottles. I made that mistake once with a vodka. Think it was a Van Gogh. Nice arty bottle but the vodka was surprisenly harsh. It wasn't just run of the mill, it was downright bad! Made the regular brand rails almost taste good.

nkotb

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 10:35:02 am »
Lately, I've been drinking more and more Old Fashioneds as my cocktail of choice.  Any whiskeys to try/avoid with that one?

Relaxer

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 10:45:55 am »
Hey me too! I love Old Fashioneds and pretty much enjoy one every night.

I tend to have a bourbon for mixing into Manhattans (usually Four Roses) and then a good bottle for the more straight drinks (usually Willet 13 or Noahs Mills). I feel like the Old Fashioned requires a quality bourbon so I use the good stuff for that.

The other night, my wife and I went out to dinner at this brand new restaurant and I ordered an Old Fashioned and they gave me one made with scotch.
oword

slappy

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 12:21:05 pm »
Lately, I've been drinking more and more Old Fashioneds as my cocktail of choice.  Any whiskeys to try/avoid with that one?
I discovered a couple years back the answer will always be completely different depending on who you're asking and what they consider an Old Fashion.
- Some people muddle with fruit, some don't and just throw in a cherrry and orange slice. Some don't even add fruit.
- Some add soda water, they tend to add lemon instead of orange
- Wisconsin makes an OF with Brandy

Personally, I like using a mid-shelf rye like Bulleit Rye with muddled Demerara sugar, a Luxardo Maraschino Cherry (I go without a cherry if the nasty fake one's are the only around.) and twist of orange peel.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 12:25:27 pm »
I like

Highland Park
Tamdhu
Talisker

Tamdhu is probably the least harsh