Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141987 times)

imbecile

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2013, 04:40:03 pm »
Tip: Bulleit Bourbon is generally 30% cheaper in the state of MD vs. buying in DC.

Also, it's great to drop a cinnamon or vanilla stick into a bottle on occasion.

Yes, I made some cinnamon infused bourbon a few months back and use it to make old fashioneds in which i use maple syrup instead of the sugar cube.  It's a delightful change up to a standard old fashioned. 

Yada

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2013, 05:13:20 pm »
Tip: Bulleit Bourbon is generally 30% cheaper in the state of MD vs. buying in DC.

Also, it's great to drop a cinnamon or vanilla stick into a bottle on occasion.

Yes, I made some cinnamon infused bourbon a few months back and use it to make old fashioneds in which i use maple syrup instead of the sugar cube.  It's a delightful change up to a standard old fashioned. 

Indeed, during the holiday season the cinnamon old fashioneds were flowing at the casa!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2013, 05:15:00 pm »
Wow, I like the sound of that Madhatter Manhattan very much. Is Earl Grey...vermouth something exclusive to GW Cafe or is it something you can buy around?

I would assume they steep the liquor in some Earl Grey tea.

I've got some tea infuser sets designed specifically for soaking with alcohol. They can be good but the down side is that I find the tea packets soak up at least an ounce of liqour that just gets thrown out with the used leaves.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2013, 10:34:38 pm »
Wow, I like the sound of that Madhatter Manhattan very much. Is Earl Grey...vermouth something exclusive to GW Cafe or is it something you can buy around?

I would assume they steep the liquor in some Earl Grey tea.

I've got some tea infuser sets designed specifically for soaking with alcohol. They can be good but the down side is that I find the tea packets soak up at least an ounce of liqour that just gets thrown out with the used leaves.

Church & State on H Street makes their own bitters and infused vermouths - I took a great Manhattan "class" there a year or two ago.
(o|o)

K8teebug

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2013, 09:06:37 am »
So does Jackie's Sidebar in Silver Spring and Rye in Fells.  Love bars that do that!

K8teebug

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 09:06:52 am »
and Passenger in DC.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:41 am »
the High West Double Rye is FANTASTIC.

better neat than with an ice cube.

shockingly good in a manhattan with a solid whiskey/vermouth ratio (9 cl : 2 cl), but I feel kind of bad mixing it given how good it is neat.
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 04:46:55 pm »
I just picked this up for too much money but the idea of crushing my head in with some 134.5 proof juice sounds appealing right now

oword

K8teebug

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34:10 am »
Bought a bottle of Red Breast this weekend.  SO GOOD.

Relaxer

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2013, 10:03:39 am »
I got all inspired and picked this up last night.

Gave it a shot last night and based on a small sample, I know I like it much better than scotch but bourbon is still my #1 love. My Irish buddy James got all excited this morning when I told him about it and now we're going to hang out and drink it tonight while watching golf.
oword

brennser

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2013, 11:40:45 am »
glad my redbreast recommendation is going down well  ;D

Relaxer

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2013, 11:48:48 am »
Yeah, I think I'm going to like that Redbreast, and I'm looking forward to getting real plowed on it tonight. That said, I hedged my bets by picking this up as well:

Y'know, I really do love the Willetts but I think this might be my favorite bourbon.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »
just popped open a bottle of Smooth Ambler Spirits "Old Scout" 7 Year Old Straight Rye Whiskey:

it's pretty good.
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »
How much does that cost?
I've been very impressed with the Buillett rye but usually I get the Redemption because it's also very good plus the bottle is cool.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2013, 02:48:59 pm »
How much does that cost?
I've been very impressed with the Buillett rye but usually I get the Redemption because it's also very good plus the bottle is cool.

this was in the $35-40 range, got 10% off at Schneider's because I was looking to spend less.

the bottle is not very cool, which stinks.
(o|o)