Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141953 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2013, 02:47:16 pm »
Relaxer, have you gotten your birthday bourbon order?  They keep saying they're getting it the next week and the next week, etc. 

brennser

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2013, 04:29:05 pm »
just picked this one up

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2013, 04:35:34 pm »
man drank $100 grand of someone else's whiskey
gulp gulp gulp
slack

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2013, 04:40:41 pm »
my nightly drink lately has been:

2 oz. High West Double Rye
3/4 oz. Dolin Rouge Vermouth
1 dash Fee Bros. Grapefruit Bitters
1 dash Fee Bros. West Indian Orange Bitters

it's quite good.  i'm letting my wife drink all the beer in the house now.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2013, 04:43:41 pm »
I also have this coming in the mail this week. Haven't had this on its own, only in Sazerac cocktails. If I don't like it in the traditional way, with the spoon and sugar cube, I'll just make Sazeracs, which is a fine alternative.

tell me about your sazerac efforts - what went wrong?  it's what I always order at good cocktail bars, and I want to start making it at home.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 04:48:27 pm »
I got this book/app recently and really like it:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speakeasy-cocktails-learn/id453698398
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2013, 04:54:55 pm »
Relaxer, have you gotten your birthday bourbon order?  They keep saying they're getting it the next week and the next week, etc. 

Whoops, I didn't realize this thread lived on after I had left.
K8t, I received the first bottle within a week of placing my order. I then went back on and ordered three more, all of which are in 'Processing' limbo, so I suspect I'm suffering the same fate that you are. And I just emailed them and they said it won't be until January, so I'm sorry about that because I think you were hoping this to be a Christmas gift.

One thing you might do, instead, is get him a bottle of Few Rye, which today was announced as Whiskey Advocate's Craft Whiskey of the Year.

I will admit that I haven't had it yet but I just placed an order on Caskers so will be able to try it very soon. And it has the novelty of being an award-winning juice so maybe give it a shot. I'll add as well that Caskers tends to sell out on things so place your order soon if you want it.

To answer/comment on a few other posts:

My terrible Sazerac efforts are fading from memory but I just feel like my ratios were off and it just didn't taste that good. Now, I will say that about once every other week, I'll get a wild hair up my ass and will spend an evening sipping on absinthe. I'll pour 2 ounces into a chilled glencairn glass, lay my absinthe spoon over the mouth and put a sugar cube on top, chill 6 ounces of water in a shaker and then slowly pour over the sugar cube. It's a real refreshing sippin drink, but like cotton candy, Disneyworld and the reverse cowgirl, it's best enjoyed occasionally.

Brennser, how on earth did you manage to get that Pappy Van Winkle? I'm kind of angrily jealous. Here's a related anecdote: Last weekend, a buddy of mine and I took all of our kids out to Carderock to hike and climb and etc. Afterward we went to Matchbox on Cap Hill. The waitress came up and first thing, she asked "Are either of you guys bourbon fan?" Why YES, YES I AM, TELL ME WHY RIGHT NOW! They had the Pappy! They had the 10 yr and 20 yr. So I had a glass of the 20 yr, which I've not had before (in fact, the only PVW I've ever had is the 15), and it was glorious.

I'm probably projecting a little, because PVW is such a mythical whiskey, but it is legitimately great. I would do very weird and terrible things to get my hands on a bottle.

Hoya, I like that drink recipe a lot. Looks like a nice variation of a Manhattan. I have everything on there except for the Dolin Rouge Vermouth. Is using Carpano workable? That's all I have at the moment.
oword

Yada

« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2013, 04:56:24 pm »
just picked this one up

I hope you didn't get bent over for as much as I've seen it around DC this year... A store in Chinatown was selling a bottle for $1,299, while selling the 12 year for $399.

lomutherf'nl

Relaxer

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2013, 05:00:38 pm »
I would pay $400 for an unopened bottle of PVW. It would be ridiculous, asinine, wasteful and awful, but sometimes you indulge your hobbies.
oword

Yada

« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2013, 05:01:55 pm »
I would pay $400 for an unopened bottle of PVW. It would be ridiculous, asinine, wasteful and awful, but sometimes you indulge your hobbies.

The 12 year?

I pondered it for a second, then my senses got a hold of me.

James Ford

« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2013, 05:04:01 pm »
Wouldn't alcohol and the consumption thereof be considered more of an interest than a hobby?

Hobbies are things like running or painting or playing the guitar.

This came up in an offline conversation, that's why I'm asking.

The 12 year?

Relaxer

« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2013, 05:04:20 pm »
Yeeeaahhhhh, no. Despite my boastful post, no, I wouldn't pay that much for a 10 or 12 year whiskey. If it were the 15 yr, I would probably bite my cheek and give myself a little cut on the thigh and then pay up.

In fact, here are some prices I just saw on CL:

Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year -$1,250
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year - $850
Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year - $650
Pappy Van Winkle 13Year Rye - $475
Pappy Van Winkle 12 year- $425
Pappy Van Winkle 10 Year - $325
oword

Yada

« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »
Wouldn't alcohol and the consumption thereof be considered more of an interest than a hobby?

The 12 year?

I consider an interest and a hobby the same thing.

Relaxer

« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2013, 05:06:12 pm »

Ehh, I don't know. I spent a lot of time reading about whiskeys, I collect them, I delve into them and experiment with them and spend way too much time thinking about them.

I think something like food or drink can constitute a hobby.
oword

Yada

« Reply #104 on: December 11, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »
Yeeeaahhhhh, no. Despite my boastful post, no, I wouldn't pay that much for a 10 or 12 year whiskey. If it were the 15 yr, I would probably bite my cheek and give myself a little cut on the thigh and then pay up.

In fact, here are some prices I just saw on CL:

Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year -$1,250
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year - $850
Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year - $650
Pappy Van Winkle 13Year Rye - $475
Pappy Van Winkle 12 year- $425
Pappy Van Winkle 10 Year - $325

Considering the suggested retail price is $79, $119, and $259 for the 12, 20, and 23... that's just ridiculous.