Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 143167 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2013, 05:22:50 pm »
Yeeeaahhhhh, no. Despite my boastful post, no, I wouldn't pay that much for a 10 or 12 year whiskey. If it were the 15 yr, I would probably bite my cheek and give myself a little cut on the thigh and then pay up.

In fact, here are some prices I just saw on CL:

Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year -$1,250
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year - $850
Pappy Van Winkle 15 Year - $650
Pappy Van Winkle 13Year Rye - $475
Pappy Van Winkle 12 year- $425
Pappy Van Winkle 10 Year - $325

Considering the suggested retail price is $79, $119, and $259 for the 12, 20, and 23... that's just ridiculous.
True, but that's a bit like saying a Van Gogh painting is only comprised of $3 worth of paint and a two-dollar frame.

Okay, that simile doesn't really work but once I started typing, I couldn't bear to stop.

It's the scarcity that drives these prices up. It is virtually impossible to buy a bottle for retail without deep connections. I make a habit, when I'm traveling, to pop into liquor stores in hopes that outside of DC, some local yokel will have some. It's only happened once and when the guy pulled out a bottle of the 20 year, I about shat my pants. Then he said he'd let it go for the fair price of one thousand dollars and I sucked my shame right back into my body.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:56 pm »
One thing you might do, instead, is get him a bottle of Few Rye, which today was announced as Whiskey Advocate's Craft Whiskey of the Year.

I will admit that I haven't had it yet but I just placed an order on Caskers so will be able to try it very soon. And it has the novelty of being an award-winning juice so maybe give it a shot. I'll add as well that Caskers tends to sell out on things so place your order soon if you want it.

i've been drinking it at the Queen Vic on H Street for a couple of months now, it's a very good rye.

Hoya, I like that drink recipe a lot. Looks like a nice variation of a Manhattan. I have everything on there except for the Dolin Rouge Vermouth. Is using Carpano workable? That's all I have at the moment.

sure, it's workable, but you should really get your hands on Dolin if you drink vermouth drinks regularly, it's worlds beyond most vermouths.
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2013, 03:21:10 pm »
I'm looking forward to getting that Few Rye. I haven't developed a taste for rye yet, but it's not so far from bourbon that it will be too difficult. Besides, between the High West Double Rye and the Whistle Pig Rye, I'm really developing an affinity for the stuff.

In fact, the Whistle Pig Rye is so good that I'm tempted to get the WP Boss Hogg Bourbon except that it's $150 and I'm taking a break from the high-cost stuff right now.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »
And I just looked up that Queen Vic place. I am definitely going to check that place out. For one thing, it's only about 6-7 blocks north of where I live.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2013, 04:34:07 pm »
just picked this one up

SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Jealous.

brennser

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2013, 12:13:28 pm »
just picked this one up

SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Jealous.
sorry K8teebug!

Relaxer - I got it for a very fair price - (a little) less than the $400 you said you'd be willing to pay - it was one of those holy shit am i really doing this moments though - is it worth it? Who the hell knows - i think it tastes great and fwiw my wife who abhors whiskey had a taste and liked it

and Whistle Pig is absolutely fantastic - definitely one of my favorite whiskeys

Yada

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2013, 06:08:40 pm »
just picked this one up

SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

Jealous.
sorry K8teebug!

Relaxer - I got it for a very fair price - (a little) less than the $400 you said you'd be willing to pay - it was one of those holy shit am i really doing this moments though - is it worth it? Who the hell knows - i think it tastes great and fwiw my wife who abhors whiskey had a taste and liked it

and Whistle Pig is absolutely fantastic - definitely one of my favorite whiskeys

A suggested retail price of roughly $260 and sold for $400 is much more palatable than the prices I saw around town, not sure how you scored it for that price, but I'd say that's definitely worth it.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2013, 09:45:14 am »
There's a bar in RVA that has a couple of cases of both the Pappy 20 and 23-year available, and I did not think it was anywhere near worth the price they were charging per shot (around $60 for a 2 oz shot of the 23). If I'm going to spend ~$300 for a bottle of liquor, I can get alot more bang for my buck in scotch.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2013, 09:47:57 am »
There's a bar in RVA that has a couple of cases of both the Pappy 20 and 23-year available, and I did not think it was anywhere near worth the price they were charging per shot (around $60 for a 2 oz shot of the 23). If I'm going to spend ~$300 for a bottle of liquor, I can get alot more bang for my buck in scotch.

The question is, how was the show of the year last night?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2013, 09:49:09 am »

The question is, how was the show of the year last night?
It was not "show of the year" imo. It was good, though. I'm more hyped for QOTSA tonite, although I'm sure DFA1979 will be there, stinking the entire venue to high hell.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2013, 11:35:59 am »
Matchbox on 8th St. SE was selling 2 oz drinks of Pappy 20 yr for $20. I was well-chuffed at that.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2013, 05:21:50 pm »
And I just looked up that Queen Vic place. I am definitely going to check that place out. For one thing, it's only about 6-7 blocks north of where I live.

and 3 blocks north of where I live.  Hello neighbor.
(o|o)

« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2013, 10:32:39 am »

you both probably have ironic mustaches too

slack

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2013, 10:04:33 pm »

you both probably have ironic mustaches too

we live a number of blocks SOUTH of H Street, in Capitol Hill proper -- ironic mustaches are NORTH of H Street

(I did have a pretty sweet stache a couple of years ago. Nothing ironic about it.)
(o|o)

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2014, 01:32:12 pm »
Living Social is running a deal

Scotch package

? $99 ($150 value) for a Scotch package
The Scotch package includes a Glenmorangie ten year, an anCnoc 12 year, and an Old Pulteney 12 year.

Never had anCnoc or Old Pulteny to know if this is a good deal or not
slack