Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141954 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2014, 03:50:56 pm »
We'll chip in for the sip!  Just don't have the dollars for a whole bottle...

brennser

« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2014, 03:52:51 pm »
wow thats pretty steep

Pine Orchards Liquors on Route 40 in Ellicott City has almost all the Pappy Van Winkle behind the register.

The 23 year was 1,000
The 20 year was 800
The family reserve rye was 375
and they had the 12 year, but I didn't see a price on that one.

I was there on Saturday...

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:43 pm »
As I've said before, I've had the Pappy 20 several times and the 23 once and while its good and all, its nowhere near worth the "mark up" prices it goes for. If I'm spending $800 on liquor, I'm buying two 30yo scotches that would absolutely smoke Pappy.
LVMH

« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2014, 04:13:32 pm »
I mean the difference quality-wise between George T. Stagg and Pappy 20 is nowhere hear worth the $650 you're going to pay more for one. Its insane.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2014, 07:49:32 pm »
I agree with you, Julian. I do think it might be the best bourbon I've tasted, but I'm also sure the scarcity helps me to 'project' a bit. That said, I did a blind taste test with the Pappy 20 Yr and two other great whiskeys, and I was able to pick out the Pappy easily. It is very good. It is not, however, $800 good. That said, I'm still interested because I approach this as a hobby and sometimes you just splurge on your hobbies in order to get a full perspective. Or something along those lines.
oword

« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:03 pm »
I agree with you, Julian. I do think it might be the best bourbon I've tasted, but I'm also sure the scarcity helps me to 'project' a bit. That said, I did a blind taste test with the Pappy 20 Yr and two other great whiskeys, and I was able to pick out the Pappy easily. It is very good. It is not, however, $800 good. That said, I'm still interested because I approach this as a hobby and sometimes you just splurge on your hobbies in order to get a full perspective. Or something along those lines.
Fair enough. I've splurged on rare scotches, amaros, and gins myself.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:14 am »
I'm just the messenger.  I'd love to try it if I won the lottery!  But one bottle is more than I spend on running clothes/shoes in a year (and I spend a fair amount!)

« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2014, 10:05:15 am »
I'm just the messenger.  I'd love to try it if I won the lottery!  But one bottle is more than I spend on running clothes/shoes in a year (and I spend a fair amount!)
You run that much?

Can we list K8teebug in the Unresolved Sexual Tension thread? Certainly we can find someone to pair with this trim young woman for the general populace's "will they or won't they" amusement.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:22 am »
Um, I've been married for over 10 years.

Yes, I do run that much.

« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2014, 10:13:32 am »
Um, I've been married for over 10 years.

Yes, I do run that much.
Pam and Roy were engaged for that long!

How many times do we all have to go over this. It's NOT about two people hooking up. It's about the rest of us wondering if they MAY hookup and tuning in weekly to see if they might.

I swear, I feel like I'm the only one trying to create content and designing future plot lines around here sometimes.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2014, 05:21:24 pm »
so what have people been drinking lately? my thing recently is to have some of this

with a little syrup, 8 shakes of bitters and a solid glurp of this

to me, the campfire tastes just like scotch even though its supposedly dominated by bourbon and rye. but it does bring that sourness and when mixed with the above, it gives my sweet whiskey drink an appealing new tone. almost sensually muscular, you might say (not me though)
oword

stevewizzle

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2014, 06:06:18 pm »
I swear, I feel like I'm the only one trying to create content and designing future plot lines around here sometimes.

future user name change coming soon...

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2014, 07:11:08 pm »

future user name change coming soon...
STRUGGLING Community ORGANIZER maybe. I'm not giving up on you people yet.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2014, 12:01:27 pm »
I watched the perfect movie for both fans of whiskey and Scottish accents last night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924394/