Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 143180 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2014, 06:25:13 pm »
Enjoying Hoya's recipe. I have to admit, I'm a sweets guy and it was just a bit too bitter/sour for me so I added a wee lil glurp of syrup and then I was in Pleasuretown.

Gonna do an absinthe rinse for my next one, but I have to play it cool because I"m single dad tonight.

One note: the very rare Barrel Strength Elijah Craig is in stock at Schneiders, at a nice and evil 66.6%  8)
It will be gone very soon. It's the best high-proof bourbon I've ever had, though I must admit I've never had Stagg, which people praise to the very heavens.

oword

slappy

« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2014, 01:47:34 pm »
Unaged George Washington Rye Whiskey distilled at Mt. Vernon goes on sale tomorrow morning.
His plantation manager, James Anderson, is the originator of rye whiskey in the US.
http://www.mountvernon.org/whiskeysale

K8teebug

« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »
A proper manhattan is the same as manhattan'a area code: 212. 2 parts bourbon/rye, 1 part vermouth, 2 dashes of bitters.

that is so cute!

Anyone had Basil Hayden?  I had it at Vinoteca the other week and it was yummy.

They also had Pappy there, but it was 3 weeks ago, so it may be gone by now.  They had the 15 and the 23?  Two different bottles.  I can't keep 'em straight.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2014, 01:56:29 pm »
Basil Hayden is overpriced but good.

They probably had the 15 and 20? The 23 would have a close to $1000 tag on it and that's probably stick out in your memory.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2014, 02:05:45 pm »

They probably had the 15 and 20? The 23 would have a close to $1000 tag on it and that's probably stick out in your memory.

Vinoteca is a bar, sir.

« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2014, 02:13:18 pm »

Vinoteca is a bar, sir.
Ahh. My apologies.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »
so relaxer, you didn't answer james' question: ever tried an bourbon county brand stout, from Goose Island?  how about their barley wine?  strong bourbon flavor in both.

you're not paying for simple syrup, are you?  it's sugar that has been boiled in water.  it's about as hard to make as a cup of tea.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »
I don't go into the beer threads and shit them up with talk about whiskey or adverbs or Idaho, so no, I didn't answer his question.

And YES, I buy simple syrup. I know it's easy to make and I used to, until it got dumped over in the fridge and it took me an hour trying to unsticky everything and then I realized "You know what? I can just buy this stuff. We're not animals."
oword

« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »
I will post a pic of my liquor cabinet when I get home. I too purchase simple syrup.
LVMH

« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:42 pm »
I don't go into the beer threads and shit them up with talk about whiskey or adverbs or Idaho, so no, I didn't answer his question.
POTM.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »
I'm not a big fan of Basil Hayden. I don't think it's bad but it's just kind of there and its mild taste makes me wish there was more something to it. I try not to disparage the Jim Beam whiskeys, mostly because I genuinely like Bookers. But Basil and Bakers are just so middle of the road to me, and Knob Creek is mediocre whiskey with faux-thentic branding and mid-tier pricing. I don't think they're bad drinks necessarily, just that if I got to choose 10 brands, there wouldn't be a Beam in there.
oword

Yada

« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »
I like to shoot Basil Hayden's with a nice miller high life on the side.  ;D

hi walky.

Relaxer

« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2014, 02:33:12 pm »
And just for the hell of it, I'm going to list the 10 bourbons I've liked the most over the past couple years. I only list whiskeys that I've owned and drank full bottles of, so no Pappy or Stagg or really old Willett.

1. Wild Turkey Forgiven
2. Four Roses Single Barrel Cask Strength
3. Willett Reserve 9 Yr
4. Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
5. Jeffersons Presidential Select 21 Yr
6. Blanton's Single Barrel
7. Russell's Reserve Small Batch
8. Noah's Mill
9. Angel's Envy
10. Elijah Craig Barrel Strength
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #223 on: May 15, 2014, 02:39:15 pm »
Honorable Mentions:

Eagle Rare 10 Yr
High West Prairie Reserve
Old Medley 12 Yr
Rowan's Creek
Widow Jane
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2014, 03:01:59 pm »
I'm not a big fan of Basil Hayden. I don't think it's bad but it's just kind of there and its mild taste makes me wish there was more something to it. I try not to disparage the Jim Beam whiskeys, mostly because I genuinely like Bookers. But Basil and Bakers are just so middle of the road to me, and Knob Creek is mediocre whiskey with faux-thentic branding and mid-tier pricing. I don't think they're bad drinks necessarily, just that if I got to choose 10 brands, there wouldn't be a Beam in there.

Knob Creek tastes like water to me.