Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 143440 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2014, 11:19:41 am »
I'm such a dick. I have not been able to stop thinking about that Barry Crockett and just now I said "fuck it" and pulled the trigger and bought it online. I literally cannot wait to regret this.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #241 on: September 26, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »
did you manage to snag it for less than $250?
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2014, 01:14:05 pm »
I'm such a dick. I have not been able to stop thinking about that Barry Crockett and just now I said "fuck it" and pulled the trigger and bought it online. I literally cannot wait to regret this.
attaboy! very interested to get your take on it

Relaxer

« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »
$220! Not only was that the cheapest price I'd seen, it's the only place that had it in stock. All my usual places didn't have it, and didn't have the Green Spot either. So really in a way, it's like they're paying me. Shipping cost bites but it's not far from what sales tax would've been. Will report back. I'm going to try MY HARDEST not to inhale this in a few days.

GREEN SPOT IRISH WHISKEY 750  43.99

MIDLETON BARRY CROCKETT 750  219.99

1 100042 GROUND SHIPPING 16.75

Total: 282.73

oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2014, 02:18:12 pm »
Whisky Bottle Share meet up!?!
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »
Sure thing. I'll bring my finest bottle of Old Crow.
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2014, 03:15:41 pm »
I'm bringing Polish everclear!
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2014, 04:32:10 pm »

OKAY
I am about halfway through the bottle of Barry Crockett and feel that I can post my initial impressions.

Which are? It's good. It's not $200+ good or even, frankly, $100+ good. But it's not like the 21 Yr Elijah Craig I bought and really disliked. The Midleton BC is a good drink and I enjoy it, but honestly, the Midleton Very Rare, which runs $100 cheaper, was much more enjoyable to me. I genuinely loved that one, I can't say that I love the Barry Crockett. But I'm very happy to have had it and tried it.

At this point, if I had to rank the Irish Whiskies, I'd probably go:
1. Green Spot
2. Midleton Very Rare
3. Red Breast 12 Cask Strength
4. Powers John Lane 12
5. Red Breast 15
6. Midleton Barry Crocket Legacy
7. Jamesons Black Barrel
8. Tullamore Dew Phoenix
9. Jamesons Gold Reserve
10. Bushmills Malt 16
9,000,000,000. Two Gingers

Others that didn't make the list for one reason or another: Teeling, Wild Geese Rare, Knappogue 12, Irishman Single Malt
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2014, 04:37:50 pm »
Also, one other tip. Hi-Time Wine Cellars is probably the most economical option for ordering whiskey online. Their prices are very good and while the shipping costs can get into the $15 to $20 range, you don't pay sales tax and they really do package it up very well. Strongly recommend them. In fact, as long as I'm being really fucking useful, here are my top online purveyors of online boozio. Options #1 and #2 are a mile ahead of the rest in terms of reliability, speed of delivery and price.

1. Hi-Time Wine Cellars: http://www.hitimewine.net/home.php

2. Cappy's Warehouse Wine & Spirits: http://www.cappyswineandspirits.com/

3. Worldwide Wine & Spirits: http://www.ctwineandspirit.com/

4. Drinkupny: http://www.drinkupny.com/ (I really don't recommend this place. They have a tendency to email you a week after you placed your order to say "Oh sorry, we're out of stock")

5. Caskers: https://caskers.com/ (this is a free membership thing. It's like a Gilt for booze, in that you get daily emails with 5-6 different mid- to high-end liquors that are on special. I don't buy much from them because the prices at Hi-Time and Cappy's are usually better, but I sure do enjoy those daily emails and their write-ups)
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2014, 06:56:13 pm »
In retrospect, I'd switch #8 and #9 on my Irish list. The only thing the Tullamore has going for it, to my palate, is the 55% ABV. It isn't one that I siiiiiiip and think "oh yeah"
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #250 on: October 09, 2014, 06:57:41 pm »
In fact, I am terribly tempted to dump my glass of Tullamore and continue with the Green Spot I just received in the mail but we're not animals.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2014, 07:59:41 am »

OKAY
I am about halfway through the bottle of Barry Crockett and feel that I can post my initial impressions.

Which are? It's good. It's not $200+ good or even, frankly, $100+ good. But it's not like the 21 Yr Elijah Craig I bought and really disliked. The Midleton BC is a good drink and I enjoy it, but honestly, the Midleton Very Rare, which runs $100 cheaper, was much more enjoyable to me. I genuinely loved that one, I can't say that I love the Barry Crockett. But I'm very happy to have had it and tried it.

At this point, if I had to rank the Irish Whiskies, I'd probably go:
1. Green Spot
2. Midleton Very Rare
3. Red Breast 12 Cask Strength
4. Powers John Lane 12
5. Red Breast 15
6. Midleton Barry Crocket Legacy
7. Jamesons Black Barrel
8. Tullamore Dew Phoenix
9. Jamesons Gold Reserve
10. Bushmills Malt 16
9,000,000,000. Two Gingers

Others that didn't make the list for one reason or another: Teeling, Wild Geese Rare, Knappogue 12, Irishman Single Malt

I really like 2 Gingers in a hot toddy when I've had a bad day.

K8teebug

« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2014, 08:00:17 am »
I also had a terrible experience with Drink Up NY.

K8teebug

« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2014, 10:30:20 am »
And just like that, I get a shipping notification that my order from LAST NOVEMBER was shipped to me. But it was this year's bourbon, and not last years, and they didn't even write/call to see if I wanted this year's release.

And they shipped it to my old place of employment.

Better get a full refund on that..

ugh.

Relaxer

« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2014, 04:03:03 pm »
Holy shit, thank you for posting that. I'm in Florida and keep getting these emails that a box requiring adult signature just arrived at work and I've been cruising all my online liquor stores to figure out what drunken purchase I made that I can't remember.

The weird thing is I rarely drink bourbon anymore.
oword