Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 143252 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2014, 02:57:02 pm »
Perfect Pour is holding a rare bourbon raffle on November 14th. It's free to enter, but you have to do it in person at the store. Winners will be notified by phone or email with a choice of bottles available for purchase.

No prices, but they mention Eagle Rare, George T. Stagg, Thomas H. Handy, William Larue Weller, and Pappy.

Just an FYI!

Relaxer

« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2014, 04:15:12 pm »
Wow, I've never even heard of this place. Looks impressive, how are their prices? I'll never make it up there but it looks like a great place if you live in the area.
oword

Yada

« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2014, 04:55:22 pm »
Wow, I've never even heard of this place. Looks impressive, how are their prices? I'll never make it up there but it looks like a great place if you live in the area.

Great store... like most MD places that sell booze and aren't state run, their prices tend to be a bit on the higher side.

James Ford

« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:11 pm »
People on Beer Advocate used to bitch all the time for their price gouging on rare beers.

They may have changed ownership since that time though, I'm not sure.

Great store... like most MD places that sell booze and aren't state run, their prices tend to be a bit on the higher side.

Yada

« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2014, 05:11:47 pm »
People on Beer Advocate used to bitch all the time for their price gouging on rare beers.

I find the price gouging on "rare" beers to be across the board in the DC area. Regarding regular six packs, I find the prices to be a buck or two higher.

James Ford

« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2014, 05:14:23 pm »
The Whole Foods (at least the VA ones, less so the DC ones) and Total Wines are pretty consistently fair in their pricing on rare beers.

I find the price gouging on "rare" beers to be across the board in the DC area. Regarding regular six packs, I find the prices to be a buck or two higher.

Relaxer

« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2014, 05:22:05 pm »
Who cares about rare beers.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2014, 09:23:49 am »

They are slightly above what other stores charge in the area, but not super expensive. Some of their beer is pricey, but it's nice to be able to make a 6 pack of whatever you want. The employees are really nice and helpful. Dominick really knows his bourbon, whiskey, and scotch.

As for beer, they pretty much carry EVERYTHING you can get in MD. So, I don't mind paying an extra dollar for that service.

K8teebug

« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:48 am »
I was pissed at them because they are a major reason I can't go to Wegmans and buy booze, but I got over it.

Relaxer

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2014, 01:29:54 pm »
Why can't you go to Wegmans anymore?
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:27 am »
I live in Columbia, and in MD, you cannot go to just any store and buy beer/wine/booze. Wegmans was planning to sell it on the upper level of the Columbia store, and Perfect Pour led a campaign to stop it.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/explore/howard/news/ph-ho-cf-wegmans-liquor-0802-20120730-story.html#page=1

And perfect pour's stance

We need your help!
As many of you have seen and heard, Wegmans is coming to our part of the world. What you may not know is that they have applied for a liquor license. This would be in direct violation of Maryland law which does not allow sales of alcohol in grocery stores. We hear politicians talk about the value of small business in this state and we have all been sad to the the corner hardware store disappear as big box stores take their place. Well, lots of neighborhood stores will disappear if the big stores are allowed to dominate the liquor industry.
We, at The Perfect Pour, have tried to create a store where selection and service are a "cut above". We work seven days a week and employ 15 members of the local community. We have only one product line to sell - the grocery stores have already put local florist out of business and when did you last visit a butcher shop??
If you support us and agree with us please send an email to PETER FRANCHOT, PFRANCHOT@comp.state.md.us, the Comptroller of Maryland and please come in and sign our petition to block this license when you come in this week.
Sincerely, Tom, Evelyn and Staff

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2014, 10:58:07 am »
Nick Offerman's My Tales of Whisky Music Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dyM41174nM
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2014, 11:49:01 am »
I will watch that at some point.

In other whisk(e)y news, this book showed up on my office's "free books" shelf. It's a good book for learning the basics of whiskey and how they're made, history and differences behind the various types, etc. The author is a little too "Can you actually believe me? A chick? Loves whiskey? I am just such a chick that loves whiskey!" but it's still a fun read.
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2014, 11:52:36 am »
A woman!?! Who drinks whiskey!?! Well, I never! The boys at the yacht club shall hear of this!!
LVMH