Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 143354 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2015, 12:27:14 am »
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »
While I can get behind the idea in theory, that is WAY too much ice to be adding to your love sauce. Also, what happens when the ice detaches itself from the glass? Every time you take a sip, you're gonna have ol Iceberg Jones nudging at your nose.

In other news, I bought a premium tequila the other day:

This is very good. I could really see you Scotch weirdos getting into this. It has that same kind of appealingly dirty sour taste that Scotch has. It's been a real eye-opener.

Ultimately, however, I'm still drinking Irish 90% of the time. Still have a major hard-on for Green Spot. Anyone who wants to try it should order it from Hi-Time Wine as it's the lowest price I've found anywhere.
oword

brennser

« Reply #272 on: February 12, 2015, 05:20:07 pm »

Ultimately, however, I'm still drinking Irish 90% of the time. Still have a major hard-on for Green Spot. Anyone who wants to try it should order it from Hi-Time Wine as it's the lowest price I've found anywhere.
\

Dude I picked up a bottle of yellow spot in Ireland over Xmas - you should stop by and taste it sometime I love it

Relaxer

« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2015, 05:27:13 pm »
I actually got a bottle of the Yellow a few months ago from MasterofMalt.com, and it was SUBLIME. My usual MO when having a drink is about 3 oz of whiskey, an ice cube, and a wee blurrpp of simple syrup. Hey, it's just how I like it. But every single drink I had of the Yellow, I'd pour it into a glencairn glass and spend 10 minutes nosing the hell out of it. Then I'd have it straight and it just doesn't get any better than that. Or rather, it hasn't for me. I thought it was better than the Barry Crocket but on the same level as the Midleton Very Old, which might be my favorite Irish pour (but not my favorite Irish whiskey, as I take price into consideration. And at under $50 a bottle, Green Spot wins my gold)

I've read here and there that the Yellow is being prepped for distribution in the states. I hope that's the case.
oword

Got Haggis?

« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:56 am »
I went to a Burns night last month and had some laphroaig cairdeas 2014.  loved it.

Relaxer

« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2015, 12:53:01 pm »
:D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o
Pernod Ricard Announces U.S. Launch of Yellow Spot Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey
:D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :) :D  ;D  8)  :P  :-*  :)  :o

NEW YORK, Feb. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ ? Yellow Spot?, one of Ireland?s premier Single Pot Still Irish Whiskies, has officially entered the U.S. market.  The 12 year old Single Pot Still, previously available exclusively in select European countries, will join fellow renowned Single Pot Still Green Spot, which entered the U.S. market last year.

Yellow Spot is matured in a combination of American bourbon, Spanish sherry and Spanish Malaga casks. It is the rare taste of a bonder?s style Pot Still Irish Whiskey and is known for its sophisticated and complex taste profile, possessing honey sweetness with pot still spices. Hints of fresh coffee, creamy milk chocolate and crème brulee are also found in each taste of Yellow Spot.

?Single Pot Still Irish Whiskies are the quintessential style of Irish whiskey and are characterized by full complex flavors,? said Paul Di Vito, VP, Irish and North American Whiskey at Pernod Ricard. ?We are thrilled to bring Yellow Spot to American whiskey lovers as Single Pot Stills have become highly desired.?

Each batch of Yellow Spot is made from a mash of malted and unmalted barley, which is then triple distilled in traditional copper stills. Yellow Spot was created and sold by Mitchell & Son Wine and Spirit Merchants in Dublin. The Mitchell family was in the whiskey bonding business and sent empty wine, sherry and port casks to the local Jameson distillery, which were filled and returned to the Mitchell?s cellar warehouse.

Yellow Spot will be released in the U.S., beginning this month and sold at a suggested retail price of $99.99.

Yellow Spot joins Pernod Ricard?s portfolio of Single Pot Still Irish Whiskies including Green Spot and Redbreast.

For more information please visit: http://www.singlepotstill.com/spotwhiskey/yellowspot

Please taste responsibly
oword

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »
I wasn't that excited until that parade got my hyped!!
LVMH

brennser

« Reply #277 on: February 18, 2015, 03:02:42 pm »
sweet!

Relaxer

« Reply #278 on: February 18, 2015, 03:31:25 pm »
I saw this morning that Yellow Spot was Casker's feature whiskey for the day. I clicked over approximately 10 minutes after they started selling and it was sold out.  :'(

But that's okay, my usual sites tend to be cheaper. I'll bet Schneiders will tag this at $129.99.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #280 on: April 23, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »
That's a pretty funny story.

In other news, Bourbon Bros are outraged that Elijah Craig, the 12-yr-old bourbon that can usually be had for under $25 is about to lose its age statement. This is a bit of a bummer because there really is no better deal for a 12 year old, very good-tasting bourbon, than EC. Some are arguing that just because it will lose its "12 Years Old" statement doesn't mean it won't be similarly aged. But EC's entire business proposition is based on it being a cheap but well-aged drink. Personally, I don't think this is terrible news, but I might have a couple years ago when I was all about the bourbon.

I'm still on the daily Irish whiskey tip. The one thing about Irish, as opposed to scotch and bourbon, is that there's limited amounts to try out. You can always discover a new bourbon or scotch that you haven't had and enjoy some sexy exploration. But it feels to me like there's only around 25 different iterations under maybe a dozen different brands of Irish around. Which lends itself to finding the one you like and sticking with it. And I have! But it's not Green Spot. I still really like Green Spot a lot, and I will always have a bottle or two of it around. If someone comes over and says "so let's try out this Irish whiskey you're always prattling on about" I will pull out the Spot.

But I've now settled on my daily drank. It's not sexy, it's not rare, it's not hip. But at ~$30 to $35 a bottle, and a blend of 12 year old pot still whiskey (which is basically what Redbreast is, but at twice the price), it is a really excellent drink that I strongly recommend:

Jameson Black Barrel. Light and crisp, with just the right amount of playful depth and wisdom. Eminently drinkable, but at 80 proof, you won't run into trouble if you venture into 3rd and 4th drink territory. Mixes perfectly with ginger beer but also satisfies sublimely with some ice or all on its naked own. Jameson Black Barrel is the best Irish whiskey deal on the market. It runs around $40 at liquor stores, but just today I received a shipment of four bottles, each attractively priced at $29.95 each, with a shipping fee of $22 (which is par for the course -- and they really do package it up nicely), from Amity Wines, located at http://www.amitywines.com/

And THAT is my recommendation for today. [dies]
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2015, 03:33:32 pm »
Scotch and Irish bros and bras, this overseas site is running a special right now of free shipping anywhere in the world. I took advantage of this to get some Writers Tears Irish Whiskey, which is not available in the U.S. Their prices are very reasonable, and the free shipping just makes it a great deal.

http://www.finedrams.com/

Also, you gotta love a place called Fine Drams.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #282 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:51 am »

I picked up this book even though I was pretty ambivalent about the prospect of studying whiskey's history. Despite my love for the brown sauce, I didn't think it would be very interesting hearing about George Washington operating his own private still.

Well, I was mistaken. This ended up being a fascinating account of the many highs and lows that whiskey has experienced in this country. Lots of very interesting perspectives of the post-revolution Whiskey Rebellion, industrial revolution, Prohibition and its repeal, the parallel fortunes of beer throughout our history, and the overall business climates over the past couple centuries. I learned a great deal about whiskey, America and even myself.
oword

K8teebug

« Reply #283 on: August 26, 2015, 02:58:15 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation! Just ordered it for my husband for his birthday!

« Reply #284 on: August 26, 2015, 03:07:56 pm »
Your husband seems to profit greatly to your membership in this community
slack