Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141952 times)

K8teebug

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #315 on: November 10, 2015, 09:22:54 am »
That sounds awesome. I really like Balvene. Does that mean I will like other scotch?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #316 on: November 10, 2015, 10:17:42 am »
That sounds awesome. I really like Balvene. Does that mean I will like other scotch?
Scotch really should be considered a liquor all to itself instead of a variant within "whisk(e)y". The variant in taste from scotch region to region is far wider than you're going to find in bourbons, brandys, etc.

If you like Balvenie, you will not like all scotches. Not by far. You will probably like other Speysides, although this is by far your most productive region and has the most variation within the region of the five main ones. You would probably like Macallan, Glenlivet, or Glenfiddich, three of your easiest to find (single-malt) scotches.

OTOH, if you really like Balvenie, there's a good chance Islay's (Bruichladdich - my absolute favorite, Laphroaig, Ardberg) would be spit out of your mouth as quickly as they went in and you will start yelling "why are you serving my ocean water!?"

tl; dr - You will need to test and see which scotches you like as there is huge variation between regions/distilleries.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:19:24 am by Carlos Spicyweiner, a Julian®©? BRAND »
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #317 on: November 10, 2015, 10:22:18 am »
I've found that newcomers to Scotch, like myself, are inclined toward the less peaty versions at first. My first Scotch purchase was Laphroaig and I just hated it, tasted to me like dirty dogpark swamp water. Macallan, however, I do like to an extent. I've started to appreciate the dry, sour bite of Scotch a little more over the years. Not enough to forego my predilection for Irish, but it's a nice alternative.

Weirdly, the Scotch I've probably enjoyed the most was Black Bottle, a cheapo bottom shelf whiskey.
oword

« Reply #318 on: November 10, 2015, 10:56:41 am »
I've found that newcomers to Scotch, like myself, are inclined toward the less peaty versions at first. My first Scotch purchase was Laphroaig and I just hated it, tasted to me like dirty dogpark swamp water. Macallan, however, I do like to an extent. I've started to appreciate the dry, sour bite of Scotch a little more over the years. Not enough to forego my predilection for Irish, but it's a nice alternative.

Weirdly, the Scotch I've probably enjoyed the most was Black Bottle, a cheapo bottom shelf whiskey.
I usually suggest people try a blended like Johnnie Walker or Dewar's to get started on scotch (as that is most similar to Irish or Bourbon) before going to single-malt. And yes, once you get to single malt, people are going to be most open to Macallan or Glen_____ than they are the super peaty Islay's.

I can imagine your first scotch being Laphroag and absolutely thinking all us scotch drinkers are bizarre. But there's a point where you drink scotch long enough and work your way basically across the country through the Highlands region to eventually the Islands and Islay which are your saltier/peaty-er ones and next thing you know, paying $300 for a last year's release of a Bruicchladdich Octomere seems like a privilege beyond belief.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #319 on: November 10, 2015, 11:11:30 am »
i believe the thing that keeps most folks from getting into scotch is pronunciation. 

dude at a bar looking at the scotch menu: "ugh... shall i have a 'Bruicchladdich'?  i kinda like the description of this 'Laphroaig'..."
bartender: "may i take your order?"
dude: <panics> <cries>
<sig>

« Reply #320 on: November 10, 2015, 11:22:03 am »
i believe the thing that keeps most folks from getting into scotch is pronunciation. 
Fair enough. At the same point: Johnnie Walker, Dewars, Macallan, Glenlivet. . . your most commonly found in bars scotches are fairly easy to pronounce.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #321 on: November 10, 2015, 11:34:03 am »
Carlos Spicyweiner: Good barkeeptress, mayhaps a snifter of the glenlivet [takes loud tiny sip with pinkie raised]. Ooh as delightful as the barley-scented bubble-bath I enjoyed yaisterdawn with me porridge.

Relaxer: Gimme a jack and a bj.
oword

« Reply #322 on: November 10, 2015, 12:13:58 pm »
Dearest Relaxer, my haberdasher heard from your apothecary that you have been suffering from a terrible case of consumption! I empathize, by glabrous associate: on occasion the vagaries of managing my trust fund are taxing to the spirit!
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #323 on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:52 pm »
Dearest Relaxer, my haberdasher heard from your apothecary that you have been suffering from a terrible case of consumption! I empathize, by glabrous associate: on occasion the vagaries of managing my trust fund are taxing to the spirit!

Its funny because its true.

K8teebug

« Reply #324 on: November 10, 2015, 01:30:11 pm »
awesome.

My first taste of scotch was this super peaty stuff my friend brought back from Scotland (called big peat or something to that effect) and it just tasted like it came from the bottom of a bog.

I'm not opposed to things that taste like the ocean, but as a beginner, I'm staying away from super peaty items.

ggw

« Reply #325 on: November 10, 2015, 01:35:59 pm »
Have any of you lushes tried Lock, Stock, and Barrel rye?  The guy that makes it befriended me last year.  He also invented St. Germaine, which I gather is some frou-frou apperitif.  Sold it to Bacardi for mucho millions and bought himself a couple hundred acres of land in Maui. 

« Reply #326 on: November 10, 2015, 01:42:53 pm »
He also invented St. Germaine, which I gather is some frou-frou apperitif.  Sold it to Bacardi for mucho millions and bought himself a couple hundred acres of land in Maui. 
You met Robert Cooper? WOW. Yes, St. Germain is a mainstay in my homebar and anyone who claims to be into mixology who doesn't have it should be immediately dismissed.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 01:47:43 pm by Carlos Spicyweiner, a Julian®©? BRAND »
LVMH

Got Haggis?

« Reply #327 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:21 pm »
love Laphroaig - brought back a bottle of Ardbeg last month after I hiked part of the West Highland Way.  I also really like Talisker and Highland Park. 

The very first whisky I had was Tamdhu (many years ago) - it was pretty mild.

ggw

« Reply #328 on: November 10, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »
He also invented St. Germaine, which I gather is some frou-frou apperitif.  Sold it to Bacardi for mucho millions and bought himself a couple hundred acres of land in Maui. 
You met Robert Cooper? WOW.

Can't tell whether you are serious or not.  Great guy.  Told me his goal in life was to get to the point that he could wear board shorts and tee shirts every day.  Reached that goal by his mid-30s.  I'm envious.

« Reply #329 on: November 10, 2015, 01:49:16 pm »
love Laphroaig - brought back a bottle of Ardbeg last month after I hiked part of the West Highland Way.  I also really like Talisker and Highland Park.
Had Ardberg Perpetuum last week. AWESOME. Talisker is a great go-to cheaper scotch.

Highland Park I just have never been into. It's not bad but you're paying a premium for the well-known name and I always feel I can get something better for equal $.
LVMH