Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 143297 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #360 on: February 25, 2016, 02:45:16 pm »
There's a British pub in RVA that has made a lot of ones similar to those and that's how their scotch is served.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #361 on: March 01, 2016, 03:47:24 pm »
OK, so not Whisk(e)y, but Green Hat Gin begins distribution to VA on April 1st!

« Reply #362 on: March 01, 2016, 03:49:21 pm »
OK, so not Whisk(e)y, but Green Hat Gin begins distribution to VA on April 1st!
As the local gin connoisseur, I can assure you, that has been available in VA for several years.

EDIT: https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/gin/%7BFA393B16-9CE9-46CD-96C3-F0515CFE31AD%7D
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2016, 04:14:04 pm »
Ahh right you are.  The big news was that the Spring/Summer seasonal will make its debut.

"Yes, that's right, Spring/Summer will be out soon--right now it's looking like the first week of April.  We also have the momentous news that for the first time, our Spring/Summer seasonal will be available in Virginia ABC stores, along with our flagship gin. It's scheduled to roll out in the ABC system on April 1st and will be in select stores across the state (or by special order through the revamped VABC website).  "

« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:37 pm »
Ahh right you are.  The big news was that the Spring/Summer seasonal will make its debut.

"Yes, that's right, Spring/Summer will be out soon--right now it's looking like the first week of April.  We also have the momentous news that for the first time, our Spring/Summer seasonal will be available in Virginia ABC stores, along with our flagship gin. It's scheduled to roll out in the ABC system on April 1st and will be in select stores across the state (or by special order through the revamped VABC website).  "
I will keep an eye out for that. One of your best <$40 gins out there.

Commonwealth out of RVA is pretty good too if you like "local" gin.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺

LVMH

« Reply #367 on: March 04, 2016, 03:19:09 pm »
now that's a great idea: Whiskey Investment Fund
I'm sure everyone will make the annual meetings

The aim of the fund, is to provide an annual return of up to 17 percent by benefiting from rising prices for old and rare single malt whiskies. The managers buy malts with a view to selling them at a profit as the value increases over the remaining years of the fund?s seven-year lifespan, with the proceeds being returned to investors

although only for residents of Julian's America The minimum investment is US$250,000
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:22:48 pm by Sidehatch ★ |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ❄️ »
slack

Relaxer

« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2016, 05:42:38 pm »

I'm really liking this scotch whisky. I wandered into a liquor store a couple months ago, and they were doing a tasting of this. Why yes, I'd love some! And it's great -- very smooth but still has that smoky huskiness, without the distraction of the peaty grime. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting into peaty drank but in baby steps. In the meantime, Glenmorangie is a perfect daily tipple. And if anyone is either trying to get into scotch, or knows someone who is, this is a great introduction because it's deep, flavorful, carries the essence of scotch but doesn't taste like you're french-kissing a swamp.

Even better, you can go home with a delightful bottle from Schneiders for $40 so it shouldn't break your bank.
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #369 on: April 19, 2016, 04:10:30 pm »
As Spring finally descends upon the previously frigid masses, a man's thoughts turn to liquid love. Of late, I've been experimenting with blended scotch whiskies. Sure, they don't have the cool biggus-dickus cache of your single malts, but they offer up their own delights and hidden discoveries.

Probably my favorite of the batch. If you looked up "easy whisky to sip" in a dictionary, I would like to borrow that dictionary because it is awesome and rare. But if you were to ask me what is an easy whisky to sip and stare into the distance, I'd say "What are you looking at exactly?" and then I would say "Try the Monkey Shoulder." I don't know, it's not a particularly well-heralded whisky, but for me, it captures the essence of scotch. Sometimes a line drive down the middle is just right, especially when it's hit powerfully, perfectly and passionately. If I have this on-hand and I open my vast liquor closet without anything in mind, lately this is what I'm pulling out.

A new blend for me is The Feathery, which is produced in the same Scottish region where golf was invented and has something to do with feathers having been an ingredient in golf balls or that feathers got on golf balls or balls with feathers are like soft plumage on my balls or jesus christ who cares. The important thing is it's a blend of single malt scotches, and the taste is nearly as satisfying as the Monkey Shoulder.

One thing I've discovered in my vast experience of trying three blended scotches is that their value lies in providing a drink that is "Scotch". Meaning, they're not going to be outta-right-field weirdo drinks. You're not getting the heavy burgundy menstruation of the Glendronach or the medicinal swampwater bog of Laphroaig or the blue steel anal penetration of the Bruichladdich. Now, that's not to say they are all middle-of-the-road boredoms. All have their own twists and unique snowflake qualities. But you're not going to take a sip of a blend and then violently grab your throat or your toilet area, if you know what I mean, because I don't.

Anyway, I've only had a couple glasses of the Feathery so I can't really judge it against the Monkey Shoulder, of which I've had about eight bottles. But I can say that I liked it, it wasn't heavy, it wasn't distracting. In fact, I can't really remember anything about it. Which is a good start, but might also portend a whisky that just lies there, like Jennifer from Germantown last week. Who makes that long of a drive just to take a fuck-nap?

Finally, there's the Black Bottle. This previously was a bottom-of-the-market scotch, which disappeared from shelves for a couple of years and was entirely re-dreamed up. And now? It's a slightly better than bottom-of-the-market scotch. But no shit, this stuff has its charm. If it's 11:30 pm and I've got 90% of a buzz and some cutie patootie is on her way over to my house to get down with the clown and I need one more bullet in the love gun and I'm quickly running out of horny metaphors, I can grab my Black Bottle (no not that, I mean the whiskey) uncork it and take a hard sexy tug right out the spout and I am Good To Go. Again, it's easy, it's smooth, it's not going stick its finger up your asshole while giving you a beej, it's just going to provide a solid reliable drink of scotch.

One additional note. One of the lovely ladies I met for drinks last week had some of this with muddled cucumber and a little simple syrup. And it was so delicious! So I threw a bottle onto my last internet order and we'll see how it is. Haven't cracked it yet.
oword

« Reply #370 on: April 21, 2016, 02:56:21 pm »
I got nothing compared to relaxers manifestos on that sweet brown nectar

but I got this...

slack

« Reply #371 on: July 18, 2016, 02:08:10 pm »
ok...not whiskey...but liquor related....

Don Ciccio & Figli @donciccioefigli

Washington DC's first small batch distillery, handcrafting accoladed artisanal Amari, Aperitivi & Amalfi Coast Cordials #staybitter

Is opening a cocktail lab close to Takoma Park in the district on Aug 6th

Bar sirens

Premade cocktails to go
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:12:37 pm by escotilha lateral |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🍺 👻 »
slack

« Reply #372 on: July 18, 2016, 02:17:44 pm »

One additional note. One of the lovely ladies I met for drinks last week had some of this with muddled cucumber and a little simple syrup. And it was so delicious! So I threw a bottle onto my last internet order and we'll see how it is. Haven't cracked it yet.
I missed this during my months of pilgrimage. Best gin at that price point in my estimation. Look into Jack Rudy simple tonic syrup to make your own tonic water with that to really kick it up to an elite g&t.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #373 on: July 18, 2016, 02:41:35 pm »

Washington DC's first small batch distillery...

I beg to differ.  Green Hat was the first to open in DC since the prohibition-era.

« Reply #374 on: July 18, 2016, 03:05:45 pm »

Washington DC's first small batch distillery...

I beg to differ.  Green Hat was the first to open in DC since the prohibition-era.
they are ARTISANAL LIQUEUR ...but I agree with your mushy sentiment
slack