Author Topic: The Whisk(e)y Thread  (Read 141968 times)

Relaxer

Re: The Whisk(e)y Thread
« Reply #375 on: December 01, 2016, 04:16:26 pm »
Great Scot! This thread has been woefully neglected. And... it will probably continue to be.

Right now, I'm trying to conserve money so I've dialed back my luxurious life by a very minuscule amount. However, this belt-tightening has manifested itself in spending a little less on my spirit life. No more $100+ bottles until after Christmas. In the meanwhile, I've really been enjoying this lovely tipple. I was initially attracted to the comical name and label, but soon learned that while nothing fancy or exotic, Famous Grouse delivers the dictionary definition of SCOTCH. It doesn't offer any left-field notes and it doesn't blow you away with much of anything, but it tastes good, it goes down easy, and most important for my current interests, it's cheap. Forty bucks will get you a nice big handle that seems to last for days. It's my Autumn 2016 drink.

Just look at that damn funny bird!
oword

ggw

« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2017, 01:16:32 pm »

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #377 on: July 11, 2017, 02:08:31 pm »
Tried and bought some of this over the weekend in NY:

Because I needed to have 6 bottles of Rye available to me...

Yada

« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2017, 02:39:10 pm »
I don't think we have a scotch thread, so this seems like the next best place to put this...

I had a glass of this last night, holy shit was it delicious.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2017, 05:14:38 pm »
I don't think we have a scotch thread

are you aware that scotch is whisky?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2017, 01:29:31 am »
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2017, 08:48:57 am »
I don't think we have a scotch thread

are you aware that scotch is whisky?

my apologies.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2017, 09:37:05 am »
I don't think we have a scotch thread, so this seems like the next best place to put this...

I had a glass of this last night, holy shit was it delicious.

That's a nice bottle. If I'm dropping 200-250 on a scotch, that's not what I'd pick but I had that at a local restaurant's "whisky school" and its quite nice.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #383 on: July 13, 2017, 09:50:12 am »
I went into a bar the other night and asked for a regular macallan. bartender said, why don't you try this rare cask? Ok! I said, figuring it would be a premium and cost maybe $20. I will say, it was excellent, really nice with a lot of character. Then I got the bill and it was $60. Oh well, still a good drink, but I'm not doing that again. This is why I drink at home.
oword

Yada

« Reply #384 on: July 13, 2017, 10:29:02 am »
I went into a bar the other night and asked for a regular macallan. bartender said, why don't you try this rare cask? Ok! I said, figuring it would be a premium and cost maybe $20. I will say, it was excellent, really nice with a lot of character. Then I got the bill and it was $60. Oh well, still a good drink, but I'm not doing that again. This is why I drink at home.

That's why I drink those kind of drinks on the company dime. ;)

« Reply #385 on: July 13, 2017, 10:41:21 am »
Someone upselling you to a 4-5x price point without any indication that what he's giving you is not in the price range of what you actually requested seems sleazy.
LVMH

Relaxer

« Reply #386 on: July 13, 2017, 11:27:17 am »
I totally agree, it was a dick move. I went from a drink that would have cost $12 to one that cost $60. Before I received the bill and saw what it cost, I said I wanted to order another but was afraid of what the bill would be and he didn't say anything. I almost did order another, thinking "Ok so my final tab will be like fifty bucks, which is a lot but this is good stuff." I would've been pissed if I'd had to cough up $120 for two ounces of whiskey.

And yeah, he measured that shit out, it wasn't like he gave me a nice heavy pour.
oword

« Reply #387 on: July 13, 2017, 12:04:34 pm »
I totally agree, it was a dick move. I went from a drink that would have cost $12 to one that cost $60. Before I received the bill and saw what it cost, I said I wanted to order another but was afraid of what the bill would be and he didn't say anything. I almost did order another, thinking "Ok so my final tab will be like fifty bucks, which is a lot but this is good stuff." I would've been pissed if I'd had to cough up $120 for two ounces of whiskey.

And yeah, he measured that shit out, it wasn't like he gave me a nice heavy pour.
Wow. Drink elsewhere, dude.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #388 on: July 13, 2017, 12:29:05 pm »
The Mrs and I were drinking at the Fairmont in Newport Beach back in March.  I asked for a glass of the Macallan 18 ($45), noticed the bottle of Rare Cask, and inquired about it.  The barkeep poured me a sniffer and we shared.  I asked how much, and she said $60.  I said "If I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather have the 21" which they didn't have.  So she poured me a glass of the Rare Cask, charged me for the 18 and I laid down $60.  That's a good barkeep. 
27>34

« Reply #389 on: July 13, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »
The Mrs and I were drinking at the Fairmont in Newport Beach back in March.  I asked for a glass of the Macallan 18 ($45), noticed the bottle of Rare Cask, and inquired about it.  The barkeep poured me a sniffer and we shared.  I asked how much, and she said $60.  I said "If I'm going to spend that much, I'd rather have the 21" which they didn't have.  So she poured me a glass of the Rare Cask, charged me for the 18 and I laid down $60.  That's a good barkeep.
Yes, keep drinking there, dude.
LVMH