Author Topic: are you kidding me?  (Read 8179 times)

walkonby

are you kidding me?
« on: June 24, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »
"I think he's deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own worldview, his own confused theology," Dobson said about Obama.

can we just burn all bibles now, and attempt to live together as friends.  or is the money that controls religion and the power within it that people cloak upon themselves, just too powerful?

vansmack

Re: are you kidding me?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »
This election is going to be a hard fall for the Religious Right.  I expect a lot more quotes like this about both candidates.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »
Going by the lack of responses I'm comforted to know that, like myself, many more people are just so over this bullshit election season.

I think that the presidential race of 2008 will go down in history as the "race of apathy"

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by 47 YEAR OLD VIRGIN:
  I think that the presidential race of 2008 will go down in history as the "race of apathy"
And I predict there will record turnout...
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

And I predict there will record turnout... [/b]
really?

I haven't spoken to anyone who actually gives a crap anymore.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »
i take it you've been living in a cave?
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  And I predict there will record turnout...
there will definitely be more turnout than the past few elections, but we seem to forget that 80% turnout wasn't bizarre during the Gilded Age
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »
Total numbers vs. percentages...I was hedging my bets.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

i take it you've been living in a cave? [/b]
Your attempt at humour fails miserably as usual. But please, explain why you say that?

The right wing republicans don't really care for their candidate, half of the dems can't stand theirs. The media is determined to put Obama in the Whitehouse and most people are just sick of the media and their obsession.

I think it will either be a landslide for McCain because he will get his party to rally round him, or it will be a very low turnout and too close to call.

I think it will get really dirty and ugly when the repuclicans start digging out Obamas dirty laundry.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
 i take it you've been living in a cave?
Your attempt at humour fails miserably as usual. But please, explain why you say that?[/b]
generally those who live in caves don't hear about what's going on around them

over the last year or so there has been a deafening roar in the media and elsewhere about record voter turnout and unprecedented civic engagement, backed by prognosticators predicting a big turnout this fall

because it seems like none of that penetrated your skull, i rather presumptuously assumed that you had been living in a cave

of course, in my haste, i forget the old saw "correlation is not causation" ... i apologize for extrapolating your abject ignorance onto your choice of living quarters

and on that note: i'm done, i hate arguing politics on here, and i can think of better ways to avoid studying
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »
 Your attempt at humour fails miserably as usual.
i thought is was quite funny  :D  

I think it will get really dirty and ugly when the repuclicans start digging out Obamas dirty laundry.
and do you think that no laundry belonging to the repubs will hit the air?    for obama, they'll need to tie scandal directly to him.  mccain has the added disadvantage that he has to live down 8 years of bush.  his party isn't an asset, as far as the undecided go.

speaking of which:

Report sees illegal hiring practices at U.S. Justice Dept.
 (...)
 It appeared to confirm for the first time in an official examination many of the allegations from critics who charged that the Justice Department had become overly politicized during the administration of President George W. Bush.

"Many qualified candidates" were rejected for the department's honors program because of what was perceived as a liberal bias, the report says. Those practices, the report concludes, "constituted misconduct and also violated the department's policies and civil service law that prohibit discrimination in hiring based on political or ideological affiliations."

(...) While the recruitment was once controlled largely by career officials in each section who reviewed applications, political officials in the department began to assume more control, rejecting candidates with liberal or Democratic affiliations "at a significantly higher rate" than those with Republican or conservative credentials, the report says.

(...) Applications that contained what were seen as "leftist commentary" or "buzz words" like environmental and social justice were often grounds for rejecting applicants, according to e-mail messages reviewed by the inspector general's office. Membership in liberal organizations like the American Constitution Society, Greenpeace, or the Poverty and Race Research Action Council were also negative marks.

Affiliation with the Federalist Society, a prominent conservative group, was viewed positively.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »
  The right wing republicans don't really care for their candidate,
I think you'll find there are many more economic conservatives and moderate conservatives who are happy to thave their party back than there are "right wing" or religous conservatives who are upset about McCain getting the nomination.  That's the whole point of this thread.  The Religious conservatives who used to rule the day are in for a long election season.  There are many people who are excited about that, Republican and Democrat.

half of the dems can't stand theirs.  
Which half?  Because if you're referring to the "Hillary Half" there was only 1 in one 5 Hillary voters that (or at most 1/3 in some polls) would vote for McCain over Obama, which means 10% or at most 20% of total Dems.  No where near 50%.
27>34

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »
Well, at least I brought this topic to life.

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 08:55:00 pm »
  Well, at least I brought this topic to life.
though you strayed from the topic, which was indeed dead, because i guess most people don't like to be reminded that religion controls them.  that's why it was invented in the first place, you know.

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 01:20:00 pm »
Critics of Sen. Barack Obama are trying to build a case that the presumptive Democratic nominee is arrogant, and former Bush adviser Karl Rove is leading the charge.

"He's the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, holding a martini and a cigarette that stands against the wall and makes snide comments about everyone."

then the what in the f are republicans, like rove and bush, hippies at the diet, frozen, organic, yogurt bar?