Author Topic: Best Band in the World Today  (Read 22288 times)

hutch

Re: Best Band in the World Today
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 01:49:30 pm »
Wilco, hands down.

you know how you know this isn't true?

when you go see them live pretty much all the songs people like are the ones jay bennett was involved with... the stuff on the past many albums just isn't that great...

let me frame it another way... if wilco had never cut being there, summerteeth, or yankee hotel foxtrot would anybody be paying attention?

the highlights of nick cave's show at the strathmore were arguably jubilee street and higgs bosom blues (sic)...two new songs.

I have seen Wilco twice live and found them incredibly boring.  I dont like their recorded material either though.

well..their new stuff (meaning the past decade) is largely incredibly boring...but Tweedy is smart and he knows how to make a set list..so he mixes in a few old chestnuts among the new stuff and then ends with a bang of new songs and everybody is happy...

James Ford

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 01:51:44 pm »
Well I guess Wilco is INDEED boring. Two guys said it on the internet, so it must be true!

Wilco, hands down.

when you go see them live pretty much all the songs people like are the ones jay bennett was involved with... the stuff on the past many albums just isn't that great...

let me frame it another way... if wilco had never cut being there, summerteeth, or yankee hotel foxtrot would anybody be paying attention?

the highlights of nick cave's show at the strathmore were arguably jubilee street and higgs bosom blues (sic)...two new songs.

I have seen Wilco twice live and found them incredibly boring.  I dont like their recorded material either though.

well..their new stuff (meaning the past decade) is largely incredibly boring...but Tweedy is smart and he knows how to make a set list..so he mixes in a few old chestnuts among the new stuff and then ends with a bang of new songs and everybody is happy...

hutch

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »
Well I guess Wilco is INDEED boring. Two guys said it on the internet, so it must be true!

Wilco, hands down.

What?

Its not two guys.. have you seen them recently? the tracks people get into are the old ones...sorry man...its not an opinion but an observation.... do you have a different observation? if so please share it... of course you won't be at their show...  ;D

shemptiness

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 01:55:43 pm »

hutch

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 01:57:53 pm »

well...AC/DC is the greatest band ever..... fact.

shemptiness

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 02:00:01 pm »
I like Wilco, but I admit the last few shows I've attended have been practically carbon copies of each other.

And I mostly mentioned them because I know how much the thread starter loves them.  

hutch

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 02:04:19 pm »
I like Wilco, but I admit the last few shows I've attended have been practically carbon copies of each other.

And I mostly mentioned them because I know how much the thread starter loves them.  

I like Wilco....I loved Wilco in the late 1990s..I was there man!!!! :)

When Jay Bennett was fired in another typical Tweedy dick move the band went south..they lost the sense of fun and became more of a prog rock outfit... Nels Cline is a great guitarist but he doesn't make the kind of music I like...

I still go see them every once in a while and hope to be there for the Bob show... if so I'll enjoy seeing Wilco but they are way past their moment...on the way down..

atomicfront

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 02:06:13 pm »

Wilco, hands down.

It is our opinion.  And at least we came up with an opinion.   

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 02:13:34 pm »
Did U2 break up? 

Because I'm pretty sure these threads are banned until that happens.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 02:18:47 pm »
Did U2 break up? 

Because I'm pretty sure these threads are banned until that happens.

To be the greatest band in the world you have to remain relevant..you can't just be a greatest hits act...you can't be a band that has recorded like five albums since the last one but refuses to release them because you lack confidence they are any good (by the way I wish they would release their stuff with Dangermouse)...you have to be somewhere even remotely near the vanguard not hugging the rear...doesn't mean their live show isn't good..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 02:32:15 pm »
i believe it's a toss up between Mumford & sons, and Amanda Palmer.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 02:33:43 pm »
Yes, because Nick Cave is so relevant. What does "relevant" even mean? Relevant to who? 40 year old "men" who spend their Saturdays at record stores rather than playing with their kids?

atomicfront

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 02:52:41 pm »
i believe it's a toss up between Mumford & sons, and Amanda Palmer.

Amanda Palmer definitely wins in that battle.

atomicfront

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 02:53:01 pm »
Yes, because Nick Cave is so relevant. What does "relevant" even mean? Relevant to who? 40 year old "men" who spend their Saturdays at record stores rather than playing with their kids?

Does hutch have kids?

hutch

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »

I would say relevant to people who love music...and who like to make music...

Come to think of it perhaps your definition of man is different from mine.. to me a man, even when he has kids, continues living life... kids don't mean you stop going to concerts or record stores... now a castrated man believes that he has to be at home at all times taking orders from his woman on what he can and can't do... that's not a man, that's a has been.