Author Topic: Best Band in the World Today  (Read 22292 times)

atomicfront

Re: Best Band in the World Today
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:54 am »
Sorry I was slow to reply to this. Today wasn't the usual waste your workday on a message board day. Rather, I spent half the day doing Take You Kid to Work Day and the other half struggling to catch up on work.

In all honesty, my comment was meant to make fun of my perception of a typical Nick Cave fan....40 year old dads (do hot 25 yr old women listen to Nick Cave? I think not!) desperate to hold onto their hipster cred, likely spends too much time in record stores (whatever they are) at the expense of family time.

If you want to take that as a personal criticism of your parenting skills, go ahead. I apologize if it made you feel bad, though it probably didn't. And you probably enjoyed calling me an asshole. So you probably got pleasure from the exchange. It probably made you feel like a real tough guy! But it wasn't meant as a personal criticism, because I don't even know you.. As long as your partner and your kids think you're a good parent, that's all that matters, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "pc police" either. i'm not comfortable putting pictures of my kid online....don't do Facebook or Tweeter, but tolerate my wife doing it....but if that's your thing, post away. Maybe you could start a kids pictures thread?

And what the hell, I'll play the stupid game. Best bands in the world? For varying reasons:

Rolling Stones
Yo La Tengo
Wilco
My Morning Jacket
Dr. Dog

I won't more people with my reasons, because nobody cares.

Au Revoir

There's plenty more Eric Toth's out there.

so what is he going to do with a picture of a kid? Jerk off to it?

I personally don't see any reason not to share a picture of my kids...but I removed it just not to have to deal with the pc police which is what you are...not worth the hassle.. personally I find it offensive that you would even go there to question my parenting or what kind of "man" i am because I went to a record store instead of playing with my kids as you wrote.....I think you crossed the line there.. its one thing to argue strongly about music.. but when you start personalizing it like that and getting people's kids involved.. i think thats piss poor and you get the asshole of the week award.

You really think the Rolling Stones are the best band in the world today?  They havne't recorded anything worth listening to in 30 years.

James Ford

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2013, 10:55:29 am »
Haha. My thoughts exactly.

At the risk of sounding sexist, when there are hoards of hot 25 year old women at a show, and they're not attached to some guy who dragged them to the show, it's almost a 100% certainty that the show is by some crappy band (that atomicfront probably likes).

Am I right?

For the record, there was a boatload of hot 25 year old women at Nick Cave's Strathmore show.

They were all there with 40 year old dudes though, right?   ;D

James Ford

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2013, 10:57:53 am »
My list wasn't in any particular order.

I agree that they haven't done anything worthwhile since the early 80's.  Tattoo You was their last great album.

I would also say that if i could have free tickets to see any single band that still exists play a show at the 9:30 Club, it would be the Rolling Stones.

Sorry I was slow to reply to this. Today wasn't the usual waste your workday on a message board day. Rather, I spent half the day doing Take You Kid to Work Day and the other half struggling to catch up on work.

In all honesty, my comment was meant to make fun of my perception of a typical Nick Cave fan....40 year old dads (do hot 25 yr old women listen to Nick Cave? I think not!) desperate to hold onto their hipster cred, likely spends too much time in record stores (whatever they are) at the expense of family time.

If you want to take that as a personal criticism of your parenting skills, go ahead. I apologize if it made you feel bad, though it probably didn't. And you probably enjoyed calling me an asshole. So you probably got pleasure from the exchange. It probably made you feel like a real tough guy! But it wasn't meant as a personal criticism, because I don't even know you.. As long as your partner and your kids think you're a good parent, that's all that matters, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "pc police" either. i'm not comfortable putting pictures of my kid online....don't do Facebook or Tweeter, but tolerate my wife doing it....but if that's your thing, post away. Maybe you could start a kids pictures thread?

And what the hell, I'll play the stupid game. Best bands in the world? For varying reasons:

Rolling Stones
Yo La Tengo
Wilco
My Morning Jacket
Dr. Dog

I won't more people with my reasons, because nobody cares.

Au Revoir

There's plenty more Eric Toth's out there.

so what is he going to do with a picture of a kid? Jerk off to it?

I personally don't see any reason not to share a picture of my kids...but I removed it just not to have to deal with the pc police which is what you are...not worth the hassle.. personally I find it offensive that you would even go there to question my parenting or what kind of "man" i am because I went to a record store instead of playing with my kids as you wrote.....I think you crossed the line there.. its one thing to argue strongly about music.. but when you start personalizing it like that and getting people's kids involved.. i think thats piss poor and you get the asshole of the week award.

You really think the Rolling Stones are the best band in the world today?  They havne't recorded anything worth listening to in 30 years.

slappy

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
Maybe not the best band in the world, but right now nothing makes me happier than to see this: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_other_black_flag_re_union_40_scorching_minutes_of_keith_morris_and_chuc

That article made me realize Black Flag are the Van Halen of hardcore punk.
It also had a link on the side to a good article that is very true.
http://dangerousminds.net/comments/lloyd-cole-is-a-musical-genius-and-its-high-time-that-everyone-realized-it

bearman🐻

« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2013, 11:24:53 am »
Maybe not the best band in the world, but right now nothing makes me happier than to see this: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_other_black_flag_re_union_40_scorching_minutes_of_keith_morris_and_chuc

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/lloyd-cole-is-a-musical-genius-and-its-high-time-that-everyone-realized-it

The Van Halen of hardcore? In what way?

Yes, Lloyd Cole is pretty much a genius. Great songwriter. Saw him at the old club too, which was outstanding.

James Ford

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2013, 11:26:26 am »
My  wife and I once attended a seated Lloyd Cole solo acoustic show in Denver at an old movie theater while on vacation. Despite it's early start, my wife fell asleep at the show.

I'm going to blame the time difference.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2013, 11:26:36 am »
sufjan stevens.

the end.

slappy

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2013, 12:49:44 pm »

Yes, Lloyd Cole is pretty much a genius. Great songwriter. Saw him at the old club too, which was outstanding.

In that both are So Cal bands started by musically intelligent guitarists (both into everything from classical music to Black Sabbath), worked with their brothers, both a revolving door of singers, forming and reforming, former members sticking to the guitarists by getting together and performing, both have iconic band symbols.

I don't mean it as something bad ... I have up to early 80's records by both. You could also add both haven't released anything decent since '84.

They both obviously are completely different on ethos.

atomicfront

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2013, 01:34:09 pm »

In that both are So Cal bands started by musically intelligent guitarists (both into everything from classical music to Black Sabbath), worked with their brothers, both a revolving door of singers, forming and reforming, former members sticking to the guitarists by getting together and performing, both have iconic band symbols.

I don't mean it as something bad ... I have up to early 80's records by both. You could also add both haven't released anything decent since '84.

They both obviously are completely different on ethos.

I think Henry Rollins is basically the singer that everyone knows from Black Flag.  Keith Morris made his fame in the Circle Jerks.

nkotb

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2013, 08:07:03 am »
Didn't you light me up for saying this exact thing after the Wolf Trap show?

Well I guess Wilco is INDEED boring. Two guys said it on the internet, so it must be true!

Wilco, hands down.

you know how you know this isn't true?

when you go see them live pretty much all the songs people like are the ones jay bennett was involved with... the stuff on the past many albums just isn't that great...

let me frame it another way... if wilco had never cut being there, summerteeth, or yankee hotel foxtrot would anybody be paying attention?

the highlights of nick cave's show at the strathmore were arguably jubilee street and higgs bosom blues (sic)...two new songs.

I have seen Wilco twice live and found them incredibly boring.  I dont like their recorded material either though.

well..their new stuff (meaning the past decade) is largely incredibly boring...but Tweedy is smart and he knows how to make a set list..so he mixes in a few old chestnuts among the new stuff and then ends with a bang of new songs and everybody is happy...

What?

Its not two guys.. have you seen them recently? the tracks people get into are the old ones...sorry man...its not an opinion but an observation.... do you have a different observation? if so please share it... of course you won't be at their show...  ;D

nkotb

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2013, 08:09:27 am »