Author Topic: IMP to Operate Lincoln Theatre  (Read 26880 times)

hutch

Re: IMP to Operate Lincoln Theatre
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:17 am »
but thats the thing.. just booking one black act to start... the kind of act seth books all the time would have been great for PR...surprising mistake.

wishing the world wasn't the way it is don't make it so..

i mean looking at it from the black community perspective IMP is taking over a historic piece of the black community (yes, its sucked for years now...) and they want to see some continuity etc.. its understandable..

James Ford

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »
What exactly is a "black act"?

but thats the thing.. just booking one black act to start... the kind of act seth books all the time would have been great for PR...surprising mistake.

i mean looking at it from the black community perspective IMP is taking over a historic piece of the black community (yes, its sucked for years now...) and they want to see some continuity etc.. its understandable..

hutch

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 12:35:34 pm »

well I'll give you a clue: its sure ain't frickin' Travis

James Ford

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 12:38:21 pm »
Why not?

hutch

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 12:41:24 pm »

Why not?

you're going to have to figure that one out on your own sonny boy..

hutch

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 12:48:07 pm »
Look I'm not saying Seth and IMP aren't the greatest thing since rice-a-roni.... just saying you know the black community ain't going to like it if the Lincoln Theatre turns into an annex of the 930.. its got to have some links to its history, culture, tradition etc.. and those are all B L A C K...

This is a place Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Sarah Vaughan all played...

its just stupid not to book any black acts when you're reopening it to signal some kind of link to its past...

Yada

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 12:57:02 pm »
Look I'm not saying Seth and IMP aren't the greatest thing since rice-a-roni.... just saying you know the black community ain't going to like it if the Lincoln Theatre turns into an annex of the 930.. its got to have some links to its history, culture, tradition etc.. and those are all B L A C K...

This is a place Billie Holiday, Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, Sarah Vaughan all played...

its just stupid not to book any black acts when you're reopening it to signal some kind of link to its past...

Well, good or bad, U Street sure as hell ain't black anymore.

hutch

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 01:08:22 pm »

Well, good or bad, U Street sure as hell ain't black anymore.

ain't that the truth...and that is part of the issue...when a community feels its heritage being trampled on, right or wong, they get ticked off...I'm not even saying that is what is going on here as one article like the one reproduced here doesn't mean anything... I'm sure the fact the Howard Theatre opened up will mean this isn't much of an issue..

its kinda weird the way DC now has a "Chinatown" with hardly anything about it that is Chinese and a U Street with hardly anything tying it back to when U Street was the black Broadway or whatever.. but then again U Street was a dump since the riots..

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:10:17 pm by hutch »

atomicfront

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 01:56:12 pm »

Sometimes you post things that don't make any sense. IMP is trying to book shows that make money.   WHy the racism, hutch?

atomicfront

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 01:58:42 pm »
Maybe Seth should just book Santigold so Hutch and the City Paper can shut the f up. 

hutch

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:44 pm »
Maybe Seth should just book Santigold so Hutch and the City Paper can shut the f up. 

I didn't say they need to book anything.. or wasn't trying to...I said they need to book a black act, out of five initial non-black acts, if they give a shit about what the black community thinks.. its not malicious on IMPs part or racist or anythign like that..of course not.. its just tone deaf.

If they don't that is fine.. personally I think its poor from a PR perspective..you can't tell me in a city that is close to half black that there aren't any black acts that can sell well...

I don't see anything racism here.. not on IMPs part or anybody else (except the article writer).. and i don't believe in throwing the racism word out there needlessly..save it for some real racism dude...

its just stupid is essentially what i'm saying...

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:11:52 pm by hutch »

James Ford

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 03:15:20 pm »
What is a black act?

James Ford

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »
Is this guy a black act?

Looks pretty black to me.

atomicfront

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 03:21:47 pm »

I didn't say they need to book anything.. or wasn't trying to...I said they need to book a black act, out of five initial non-black acts, if they give a shit about what the black community thinks.. its not malicious on IMPs part or racist or anythign like that..of course not.. its just tone deaf.

If they don't that is fine.. personally I think its poor from a PR perspective..you can't tell me in a city that is close to half black that there aren't any black acts that can sell well...

I don't see anything racism here.. not on IMPs part or anybody else (except the article writer).. and i don't believe in throwing the racism word out there needlessly..save it for some real racism dude...

its just stupid is essentially what i'm saying...

I am not saying IMP is racist. I am saying you and the City Paper are racist. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 03:22:33 pm »
What is a black act?

I think that's just the colloquialism - perhaps a sloppy one - for a group that has garnered broadbased appeal for an audience whose demographic skews towards African Americans, rather than Anglo Americans, Latinos or Asians.

I'm only guessing here, but it seems like the most likely explanation.  Capeesh?