Author Topic: IMP to Operate Lincoln Theatre  (Read 26882 times)

James Ford

Re: IMP to Operate Lincoln Theatre
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 03:27:43 pm »
Then the "black" refers to the audience and not the artist? Then can the artist be Caucasian him or herself?

By that definition, I'm guessing Billie Holiday is a white artist, since arguably more white people listen to her than black at this point?

What is a black act?

I think that's just the colloquialism - perhaps a sloppy one - for a group that has garnered broadbased appeal for an audience whose demographic skews towards African Americans, rather than Anglo Americans, Latinos or Asians.

I'm only guessing here, but it seems like the most likely explanation.  Capeesh?

atomicfront

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 03:30:25 pm »
What is a black act?

I think that's just the colloquialism - perhaps a sloppy one - for a group that has garnered broadbased appeal for an audience whose demographic skews towards African Americans, rather than Anglo Americans, Latinos or Asians.

I'm only guessing here, but it seems like the most likely explanation.  Capeesh?

So why would you want to target a specific race?  How is that not racism?  Seth books the bands he knows best.  Everyone is allowed their own speciality.  If someone thinks black audiences are underserved they can start promoting shows to to that demographic and make tons of money.  

I like the artists he has booked.  If you don't than don't attend.   I am sure if he booked the black acts that would appeal to the black community in your opinion you wouldn't attend anyway.  So the whole argument is not only racism but highly annoying.

hutch

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 03:31:43 pm »
you know i reread the city paper article

nothing racist in it.. its not the best written article..but racist? umm.. not really

talking about people's skin color doesn't make you a racist... encouraging diversity is not in it of itself racism... saying important institutions - even when they change management- should still be somehow, even if tenuously, connected to their history and tradition is not racism

what if bens chili bowl went through a real rough patch and changed management and became a taco shop? to me that would suck.. you'd hope the new management would be sensitive to those concerns... this is kind of the same for me..

there were FIVE initial acts announced..having them be the type of acts that would play the 930 is boring... it doesn't contribute one iota to DC..  before you could see them here, now you can see them there.. whoopdedoo

or maybe someone should buy the lincoln theatre and turn into the royal palace 2.. i mean if the only thing its about is making money why not?

hutch

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 03:34:54 pm »
What is a black act?

So why would you want to target a specific race?  How is that not racism?  Seth books the bands he knows best.  Everyone is allowed their own speciality.  If someone thinks black audiences are underserved they can start promoting shows to to that demographic and make tons of money.  

I like the artists he has booked.  If you don't than don't attend.   I am sure if he booked the black acts that would appeal to the black community in your opinion you wouldn't attend anyway.  So the whole argument is not only racism but highly annoying.

target?

racist?

sorry my friend.. if booking a diverse group of artists that meets the needs of the community you serve is racism then we're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it at that..

Yada

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »
Also, if he booked Wu Tang at the Lincoln Theatre, it would be all white people there.

atomicfront

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 03:37:42 pm »
you know i reread the city paper article

nothing racist in it.. its not the best written article..but racist? umm.. not really

talking about people's skin color doesn't make you a racist... encouraging diversity is not in it of itself racism... saying important institutions - even when they change management- should still be somehow, even if tenuously, connected to their history and tradition is not racism

what if bens chili bowl went through a real rough patch and changed management and became a taco shop? to me that would suck.. you'd hope the new management would be sensitive to those concerns... this is kind of the same for me..

there were FIVE initial acts announced..having them be the type of acts that would play the 930 is boring... it doesn't contribute one iota to DC..  before you could see them here, now you can see them there.. whoopdedoo

or maybe someone should buy the lincoln theatre and turn into the royal palace 2.. i mean if the only thing its about is making money why not?

I like those 5 acts and I would rather see them at the Lincoln Theater than 930 club.  Actually there is zero chance that I would attend them at 930 club but I might go to a couple at Lincoln Theater.  And I am not from DC so that would help DC.

Would the City Paper complain if a traditional white theater was taken over by a RAP promoter?  I am guessing not. And I am guessing you wouldn't be complaining either.  I am guessing that the City Paper writter isn't black either and he is just complaining to complain.  It is racism to say they should have more acts that appeal to black people.  Black people should go see Neko Case.  Why are black people so racist that they refuse to see Neko Case?

azaghal1981

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »
She has a point.

<ducks>
احمد

hutch

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:24 pm »
Also, if he booked Wu Tang at the Lincoln Theatre, it would be all white people there.

The Howard does the best job of serving the community.. look at all the Ethiopian acts they 're booking..they're filling a niche that needs filling.

I'm sorry but many of the acts that are being booked at the Howard are acts that otherwise were not being booked in DC.. that is part of what adding to, and serving the community are about..

Of course IMP can book Neko Case anywhere.. she's been booked in DC pretty much every year going back forever.. it adds nothing.. it may add to IMPs bottom line which is fine... I love Seth, he has my dream job and he does it well but diversity is not his forte.. he admitted himself they have no clue about latin rock and really don't care (those last four words are mine: if they cared they'd get a clue).. fine, they don't have to but then they don't care about serving the latin community or rather the constituency for latin shows in DC.. that is fine.. no biggie.. the Howard will book those shows ..

Diversity is just not IMPs forte.. nothing illegal about that..nothing racist .. nothing bad..

but you better damn well know its going to be pointed out and people are going to notice.. and you can call those people all racists or you can think about it for a second

Yada

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 03:48:03 pm »

The Howard does the best job of serving the community.. look at all the Ethiopian acts they 're booking..they're filling a niche that needs filling.

I'm sorry but many of the acts that are being booked at the Howard are acts that otherwise were not being booked in DC.. that is part of what adding to, and serving the community are about..

Of course IMP can book Neko Case anywhere.. she's been booked in DC pretty much every year going back forever.. it adds nothing.. it may add to IMPs bottom line which is fine... I love Seth, he has my dream job and he does it well but diversity is not his forte.. he admitted himself they have no clue about latin rock and really don't care (those last four words are mine: if they cared they'd get a clue).. fine, they don't have to but then they don't care about serving the latin community or rather the constituency for latin shows in DC.. that is fine.. no biggie.. the Howard will book those shows ..

Diversity is just not IMPs forte.. nothing illegal about that..nothing racist .. nothing bad..

but you better damn well know its going to be pointed out and people are going to notice.. and you can call those people all racists or you can think about it for a second

I'm not calling the white guilted writer a racist, it's just an incredibly stupid article.

It's a simple argument. You have an awesome venue that hasn't had shit in nearly 15 years (maybe longer) minus a handful of random shows. That venue can continue to go south and eventually end up completely run down, outdated, and vacant. That venue can continue to go south and someone else scoops it up and turns it into another multi story over priced restaurant or bar. Orrrrrr... someone like IMP can take it on and at least use the venue for the purpose it was meant for, music and entertainment... and guess what, i'm sure "diverse" acts at some point will come through.

atomicfront

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 03:51:05 pm »

Is the Howard racist for not booking Travis, Neko Case, and Laura Marling or any band that I would ever want to see?  And if Seth's starts booking all the shows the Howard place does what will they book? 

hutch

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »

I'm not calling the white guilted writer a racist, it's just an incredibly stupid article.

It's a simple argument. You have an awesome venue that hasn't had shit in nearly 15 years (maybe longer) minus a handful of random shows. That venue can continue to go south and eventually end up completely run down, outdated, and vacant. That venue can continue to go south and someone else scoops it up and turns it into another multi story over priced restaurant or bar. Orrrrrr... someone like IMP can take it on and at least use the venue for the purpose it was meant for, music and entertainment... and guess what, i'm sure "diverse" acts at some point will come through.

And I get that .. and I'm saying that from a PR perspective what they're doing is just stupid and unnecessary.. they could have booked one show out of the first five that they announced that had some connection either to the venue's history or the history of the constituency that has traditionally frequented the place.. and then we wouldn't be having this conversation...  

and if the answer is for IMP "to do that would be racist"....  well, I'm sorry I ain't buying it..

Yada

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 03:53:47 pm »

Is the Howard racist for not booking Travis, Neko Case, and Laura Marling or any band that I would ever want to see?  And if Seth's starts booking all the shows the Howard place does what will they book? 

I'd agree with that... There's only so much room for one or two gospel brunches in DC. Also, even the so called "diverse" acts that are at The Howard are by my guess, most likely attended by those boring vanilla white people (but that's a discussion for another thread).

hutch

« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 03:56:03 pm »

No the Howard is not racist but you might be .. how do you like them apples Mr. toss the racist word around like nobody's business?

atomicfront

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 04:01:53 pm »

No the Howard is not racist but you might be .. how do you like them apples Mr. toss the racist word around like nobody's business?

Why is the Howard not racist?  They should be booking bands that appeal to me?  I don't care about any of the acts that appear there.  Not one.  I don't understand your whole argument on this one.  You feel like you have to argue about something that doesn't concern you.  Are there acts that you want to see that don't play in DC because no one will book them?  How does booking an act that appeals to one race promote diversity?  How does picking acts based on the color of their skin be anything other than racism.  Why do you even think of the colour of an acts skin?  I just listen to bands who I like.  Whatever race or color or sexual orientation. It is weird how you are so concerned about this. 

hutch

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 04:04:07 pm »

I'd agree with that... There's only so much room for one or two gospel brunches in DC. Also, even the so called "diverse" acts that are at The Howard are by my guess, most likely attended by those boring vanilla white people (but that's a discussion for another thread).

that's preposterous... boring vanilla white people going to see Ethiopian acts? There weren't any boring white people at the Babasonicos... all boring latin people...

Its very simple.. either you accept that the venue has some responsibility to serve the interests of the community where it resides or not.. when Seth was only booking the 930 you could say "hey its just a rock club and that kind of music is mainly white.." but Seth has come a long way now.. and he books at many many venues in town.. and when he starts booking/running a historic african american venue he's going to get called out if he's booking the same acts -yeah white- all over again...

I once talked to the Manager of a DC venue and she emphasized that she wanted to book acts that appealed to the people of DC.. she thought it made economic sense (ie., the shows wouuld do well) AND was the right thing to do.. I tend to agree with that...  you CAN make money while booking latin rock, ethiopian acts, black acts whatever...