Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457969 times)

hutch

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #240 on: October 11, 2013, 02:42:32 pm »
If we can blabber on about overpriced DC restaurants, we can blabber on about school cafeterias, can't we?

you're one to talk.. on the beer thread you don't want me talking about beer that doesn't meet your standards but on the "gastronomical" thread you want to talk about cafeteria food? please get yourself out of this one houdini

Yada

« Reply #241 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:03 pm »
If we can blabber on about overpriced DC restaurants, we can blabber on about school cafeterias, can't we?

My wife went to my kid's school today to have lunch with my daughter. (Parents are encouraged to come have lunch with their kids.) She brought vegetarian pad thai in a plain white styrofoam container purchased at our local Thai restaurant.

She was reprimanded by the school lunch lady for "bringing in outside food. This place is like a restaurant, you wouldn't bring McDonalds into Mike's" (Well actually I wouldn't be caught eating at either of them). So apparently you can bring your own homemade or store purchased pre-packaged corporate food into their "restaurant", but not food prepared by a third party. (?)

She also said that they have the kids washing the tables (isn't that the job of the custodian/lunch lady?), so when my wife took my daughter to stand away from the table while that was being done, she was further reprimanded by the lunch lady , "You're supposed to remain seated at the table at all times."

No wonder why my wife wants to home school our kid.

i got a good laugh finding this in gastronomical banter.

you brought up homeschooling, you should've kept it to the veggie tofu pad thai your wife brought into the café.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #242 on: October 11, 2013, 02:54:49 pm »
tastee freeze has the best fucking double cheeseburgers . . . ever.

James Ford

« Reply #243 on: October 11, 2013, 02:55:51 pm »
I guess I should have realized it's not cool to bring up gastronomical banter  pertaining to children in an audience of hipster doofuses.

Yada

« Reply #244 on: October 11, 2013, 02:57:21 pm »
I guess I should have realized it's not cool to bring up gastronomical banter  pertaining to children in an audience of hipster doofuses.

I guess you should have realized it's not cool to bring up crappy schools in a thread re: food.

hutch

« Reply #245 on: October 11, 2013, 02:58:31 pm »

Cafeteria food belongs on the "gastronomical" thread?

do you want people to start talking about the new spicy wings at mickey dees, asshat.

stevewizzle

« Reply #246 on: October 11, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »

you could of at least told us what the cafeteria was serving.

hutch

« Reply #247 on: October 11, 2013, 04:08:20 pm »

BOOM

bearman🐻

« Reply #248 on: October 11, 2013, 04:22:53 pm »
Per Wikipedia:

Gastronomy is the study of food and culture, with a particular focus on gourmet cuisine.

That must be one bomb-ass cafeteria to make the cut. Sloppy foie gras? Beluga loaf? Salisbury bottarga?

James Ford

« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2013, 05:00:06 pm »
Pizza. My daughter refuses to eat it because "it has too much cheese on it." Figures, the girl has been going to Pizza Paradiso happy hours since she was a baby.  ;D

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2013, 06:02:33 pm »

BOOM

youre really liking that BOOM i gave you, arent you?

K8teebug

« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2013, 11:45:20 am »
Top Chef New Orleans is killing me.  Can't wait to get back there and have dinner!  Going for one night to New Orleans sucks, but it's better than nothing!

hutch

« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »

BOOM

youre really liking that BOOM i gave you, arent you?

LOVIN IT!    ;D

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2013, 01:34:58 pm »
Making cassoulet today (well, and yesterday)...exhausted and I've still got 5 hours of cooking left!

stevewizzle

« Reply #254 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:16 pm »
Pizza. My daughter refuses to eat it because "it has too much cheese on it." Figures, the girl has been going to Pizza Paradiso happy hours since she was a baby.  ;D

you know who serves a mean elementary-school style pizza?  that late night place, marios, in arlington.

also, i haven't had one good slice of pizza since i've moved to seattle and it's depressing. although i'm happy that pizza in the slice exists here (hi walkie).