Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457787 times)

atomic

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #421 on: May 06, 2014, 02:52:36 pm »
I am going to use this thread to tell you what I had for lunch each day.

Today:

Sardines (from a tin)
Greek Yogurt (Fage)
Mango
Baby Carrots
3 clementines.

Yada

« Reply #422 on: May 06, 2014, 03:11:41 pm »

Today:

Sardines (from a tin)
Greek Yogurt (Fage)
Mango
Baby Carrots
3 clementines.

Sounds like a grandpa diet.

atomic

« Reply #423 on: May 06, 2014, 03:14:25 pm »

Today:

Sardines (from a tin)
Greek Yogurt (Fage)
Mango
Baby Carrots
3 clementines.

Sounds like a grandpa diet.

Grandpa's eat healthily? 

K8teebug

« Reply #424 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:10 pm »
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2014/05/05/2014-james-beard-awards-chefs-and-restaurants-winners-are/

Interesting that a place shut down for having too much mouse/rat poop won best pastry chef.

Yes, I also realize people are STILL standing in line for over 3 hours for the damn cronut.

Yada

« Reply #425 on: May 06, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »

atomic

« Reply #426 on: May 06, 2014, 03:29:47 pm »
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2014/05/05/2014-james-beard-awards-chefs-and-restaurants-winners-are/

Interesting that a place shut down for having too much mouse/rat poop won best pastry chef.

Yes, I also realize people are STILL standing in line for over 3 hours for the damn cronut.

I noticed that Woodberry Kitchen's chef was nominated for best mid-atlantic chef.  I guess putting ton of salt on unhealthy meaty food makes you a good chef these days if you use the phrase "farm to table" enough.

stevewizzle

« Reply #427 on: May 06, 2014, 06:56:09 pm »
i've heard of not more than 5 of those restaurants on the list and garrett oliver is an all around douche from what i've been told. 

James Ford

« Reply #428 on: May 06, 2014, 07:22:09 pm »
He may be a douche, but the Brewmaster's Table is a must read for someone just getting into beer.

i've heard of not more than 5 of those restaurants on the list and garrett oliver is an all around douche from what i've been told. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #429 on: May 06, 2014, 07:52:59 pm »
He may be a douche, but the Brewmaster's Table is a must read for someone just getting into beer.

it's a food and beer pairing book. i would hardly say it's a must read for any beer drinker.

James Ford

« Reply #430 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:06 pm »
I can only speak for myself, but I don't really drink beer unless i'm eating food with it. I think it does a good job with the food and beer pairing stuff, as well as some basic history and good descriptions of various beer styles for the beer beginner (which I was when i read the book).

it's a food and beer pairing book. i would hardly say it's a must read for any beer drinker.

K8teebug

« Reply #431 on: May 07, 2014, 09:09:19 am »

I noticed that Woodberry Kitchen's chef was nominated for best mid-atlantic chef.  I guess putting ton of salt on unhealthy meaty food makes you a good chef these days if you use the phrase "farm to table" enough.

I have had really great meals there, and meals that tasted super of salt.  Very hit and miss!  I go to Food Market instead now.

atomic

« Reply #432 on: May 07, 2014, 10:37:34 am »

I have had really great meals there, and meals that tasted super of salt.  Very hit and miss!  I go to Food Market instead now.

My other issue with Woodberry is the tables are too close together and it is so loud in their that you can't hear the person accross the table from you.  I had to smell someone's cauliflower covered with cheese like it was my own.

Also, they will change their menu from the morning when they put it on the website.  I don't eat mammals and I am not paying 30 bucks for fried chicken over a biscuit.  Last time I went their my food was inedible.  I didn't complain but they saw I didn't eat my food and asked me if their was anything else I wanted. And there wasn't anything on the menu I could eat.  So they gave me a gift certificate for the cost of my meal.  I haven't been back though. 

I have been to the Food Market.  I think my issue with these places is that I don't like American Food.   I will say their menu is better.  But I think their atmosphere isn't the best.  I really liked Dogwood but their service was so bad my wife didn't want to go there anymore.  I guess that is what cost them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:40:01 am by atomic »

K8teebug

« Reply #433 on: May 07, 2014, 12:36:06 pm »
Agreed.

Food market is just a better experience all around, I think.  Less "people who want to be seen", better food, better cocktails, and more enjoyable.

Last time I went to Woodberry was for brunch, which I thought was crazy over priced, oily, and not great.  But, I'm also usually a brunch at home person.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2014, 03:02:25 pm »
Burger King is replacing its 40-year-old "Have it Your Way" slogan for "Be Your Way." A Burger King exec says it's more personal and emphasizes individuality. BLOOMBERG

Or they could just try the truth: "So the line at Chipotle was too long?"
via