Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457771 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Gastronomical Banter
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:43:38 pm »
I have yet to go to Le Diplomate, but have read many wondrous things about it.  Anybody been?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 01:47:40 pm »
I also heard the other day about 100 Montaditos, coming soon to Arlington and Bethesda.  They'll be serving 100 different tapa-sized sandwiches.  Which is the best thing I've read all week long.

"Inspired in the atmosphere of a typical Spanish tavern, you will encounter a variety of traditional montaditos served on crunchy, freshly-baked Spanish rolls; filled with such typical Mediterranean ingredients as Serrano ham, Spanish tortilla, chorizo sausage and Manchego cheese; and seasoned with such traditional Mediterranean ingredients as olive oil, garlic, onions, lemon, tomato sauce and ali oli. "

http://us.100montaditos.com/food-menu

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 01:54:42 pm »
Oh and I almost forgot!  I got the roasted cauliflower sandwich at G this week - it completely broadened my definition of sandwiches.  Or cauliflower.  Or something.  This thing is a work of art - Roasted Cauliflower with romesco, pickled vegetables, paprika on a crusty sesame roll.

In the same trip, I got (yes, yes, I had 2 sandwiches for lunch) their Spring Lamb - basically a cheffy gyro.  The lamb comes from Kapnos, next door, where they spit roast whole animals.  The shredded meat was tender, juicy and crispy.  Tzatziki had the right balance of tangy and creamy, and the fresh dill was a perfect topper.  Definitely worthy!  Ummm, don't try to eat this one while driving.  Trust me.

Next up is the (spit roasted) suckling pig sandwich with mustard greens, spicy apple mostarda and provolone....

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:01:40 pm »
Anybody been to BonChon?  The asian wing joints in NOVA?  Wondering if it is hype.

so

yay?  or nay?

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »
I ate a can of soup in the saucepan while standing over the sink last night.
oword

dyecraig

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »
Anybody been to BonChon?  The asian wing joints in NOVA?  Wondering if it is hype.

so

yay?  or nay?

no hype - worth the wait - get the whole bird - in C'ville, that is - call ahead

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »

so

yay?  or nay?

no hype - worth the wait - get the whole bird - in C'ville, that is - call ahead

Maaaaaan, BonChon is pure crack cocaine. I swear to god you get chills and twitches once you don't get to eat there for a minute. Love that place.

chaz

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 03:32:52 pm »

so

yay?  or nay?

Maaaaaan, BonChon is pure crack cocaine. I swear to god you get chills and twitches once you don't get to eat there for a minute. Love that place.
oH man...

so now the question is spicy or soy garlic?  or half and half?

Bagley

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 03:49:36 pm »

so

yay?  or nay?

oH man...

so now the question is spicy or soy garlic?  or half and half?

got the half and half and couldn't taste the garlic/soy after I had the hot ones... they are mighty tasty.  get the wings over the drumsticks or strips

chaz

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:25:38 pm »
ok, i'm in

wml7

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 02:01:04 am »
I need check that place out, all i hear are good raves about it, do tell us how it was.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:46:53 am »
Holy shit I made ice cream!

Crazy easy - no machine needed, better than anything you can buy:  Whip 1 pint of heavy cream to stiff peaks, fold in 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and freeze for 6 hours.

You add "chunky" ingredients (like chocolate chips, rice krispies, brownies, etc) to the SCM, and "flavor" ingredients (vanilla beans, peppermint extract, melted butter) to the cream before mixing.

I'm never ever buying ice cream again.  Ever.

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dessert/easy-homemade-ice-cream-without-a-machine.html

James Ford

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 10:12:33 am »
After a week of restaurant food, it will be nice to get back to my own and my wife's cooking. First up tonight are my burritos. With Hill Farmstead from the growler.

K8teebug

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:19:46 am »
I have yet to go to Le Diplomate, but have read many wondrous things about it.  Anybody been?

I haven't been, but two of my friends have and loved it.  Their photos were so pretty!

Yada

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:27:46 am »

I'm so tired of the 14th street scene and getting pretty darn close to tired of the H Street scene.

Is there any vetting process done for the restaurants that pop up on these streets or are they critically acclaimed just because they're there? I've had more shitty food on those strips in DC than anywhere else and all anyone does it talk them up... Bunch of over priced crap IMO.