Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 467670 times)

Yada

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2013, 04:42:42 pm »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2013, 06:10:44 pm »

Yada

« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2013, 06:12:24 pm »
Urban Butcher now open in Silver Spring!

http://www.urbanbutcher.com/ubmenus/UrbanButcherDinnerMenu.pdf

Quite excited about this, planning on going there on Monday. Now let's see if Silver Spring can support a restaurant and keep a quality place open for a while.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:59 pm »
damn . . . that menu looks great!!  but can it beat what we have out in the sticks?

http://www.vauclusespring.com/

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2013, 07:31:22 pm »
damn . . . that menu looks great!!  but can it beat what we have out in the sticks?

http://www.vauclusespring.com/

Hmmmm, perhaps.  Tho I bet you can't just swing by that place for a quick bite on the way to the Goblin show on Friday...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2013, 07:58:35 pm »
you, got me there.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #306 on: December 16, 2013, 11:37:46 am »
As promised, I stopped into Urban Butcher for a bite on the way to Goblin.  Interesting setup -- a lounge as you walk in the door, dinner tables back and to the left and a bar back and to the right.  They have a fully stocked butcher counter adjacent to an open kitchen in between the bar and the restaurant.

I got the lamb tartare with grilled flatbread and garlicky hummus.  It was outstanding!

They won't have their taps hooked up until tomorrow...

Yada

« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:55 am »
As promised, I stopped into Urban Butcher for a bite on the way to Goblin.  Interesting setup -- a lounge as you walk in the door, dinner tables back and to the left and a bar back and to the right.  They have a fully stocked butcher counter adjacent to an open kitchen in between the bar and the restaurant.

I got the lamb tartare with grilled flatbread and garlicky hummus.  It was outstanding!

They won't have their taps hooked up until tomorrow...

Very nice. I'm heading there for happy hour this evening, looking forward to it.

We ate at Doi Moi this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were four of us and we ordered multiple dishes and only had one that didn't hit the spot. The only issue is that the food is VERY spicy. I was shooting fire for the majority of the weekend.

We also ate at Maple for the second time in about a year on Saturday night, killer lamb Bolognese and a short rib sandwich.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2013, 12:30:44 pm »
what is/are your fav Ethiopian restaurant/s?

when i first came to DC there was a hole-in-the-wall spot at Florida and 13th, looked sketchy but had great stuff.  no idea what its name was, or if it's still there.  also it's not the sort of place i'd want to take visitors to, which is the reason i'm asking.  holiday guests have requested "DC's best ether-e-opian."

of the U Street bunch, i generally go to Etete - mostly out of habit (had a great date there with the missus long, long ago).  anyone been to Zenebech?  DAS in G'town is awrite.  Bete in SS has a nice backyard patio for outdoor summer dinning.

is there really that much of a difference between ethiopian restaurants here in DC?  to me they're very similar.  i've never been to one that has blown me away or otherwise really distinguished itself from the others.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:56 pm »

when i first came to DC there was a hole-in-the-wall spot at Florida and 13th, looked sketchy but had great stuff.  no idea what its name was, or if it's still there.  also it's not the sort of place i'd want to take visitors to, which is the reason i'm asking.  holiday guests have requested "DC's best ether-e-opian."

of the U Street bunch, i generally go to Etete - mostly out of habit (had a great date there with the missus long, long ago).  anyone been to Zenebech?  DAS in G'town is awrite.  Bete in SS has a nice backyard patio for outdoor summer dinning.

is there really that much of a difference between ethiopian restaurants here in DC?  to me they're very similar.  i've never been to one that has blown me away or otherwise really distinguished itself from the others.

Dessie on University Blvd in Wheaton is the spot, however, probably not a place that thrives due to its ambiance. Dukem on U St. seems to fit the bill though for taking out of town guests for Ethiopian. I've taken multiple folks there and it's always been given the seal of approval.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »
i always thought there wasnt any food in ethiopia . . . atleast thats what sally strothers told me when i was growing up.

ggw

« Reply #311 on: December 16, 2013, 03:34:27 pm »

Meaza in Baileys Crossroads.

Yada

« Reply #312 on: December 19, 2013, 10:31:14 am »
Urban Butcher FTW! Big fan, if this was on H Street, U Street, etc. it would be packed to the gills. I?m hoping the fine denizens of Silver Spring can keep it afloat. We went Monday night and ordered a slew of meats and cheese. The only item that wasn?t very tasty were the pig ears, surprise!

Big Wale, biggest disappointment of 2013. Wow? I?ve seriously had better service at a Burger King which is unfortunate as this place is one of the nicest bars/restaurants I?ve been to in a while, not packed, great tunes. Twenty five minutes for our drinks to arrive when we sat down, my entrée was somehow misplaced? Bottom line, I should?ve just stayed at the bar vs. sitting down and dealing with their ridiculously dumb wait staff and managers.

« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2013, 02:58:50 pm »

Meaza in Baileys Crossroads.

Really...I'm really close to there and for some reason it's never looked that appealing.  But I've never been in there so didn't know.  Will have to try it out
slack

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #314 on: December 19, 2013, 03:15:58 pm »
I'm not sure how many of you visit the Italian Store in the Lyon Village area of Arlington.  If you haven't, many will tell you they have the finest italian style subs in all the dc area.  I'd be one of those people.  They are the best subs I've ever had, better even than anything I had living in Philly for a few years.  I'm partial to the Capri and the Roma.  Served on a hard roll with everything.

The point of this is that they are opening a new location in the Westover area of Arlington, to be in the space that was until recently occupied by the 7-11 there.

This makes me very happy.  Just short drive from my casa.