Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 467087 times)

walkie,talkie

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #660 on: November 16, 2016, 11:51:04 pm »
So, first of all, proof was f****** incredible. Second, tomorrow I'm going to DC to stay the night and see a show and with check in at 3 o'clock, and the show wanting us to be there by 5:45 ish or 6, that doesn't give us any time to go have a dinner because most places open at 5 or 530. Where in the Dupont area can we go get a nice late lunch or something good small to eat before we have to show up at the venue by 5:45?

Thanks.

walkie,talkie

« Reply #661 on: November 17, 2016, 09:06:11 am »
never,mind . . . I think I found three choices, that I will check out to see which is the best.

any ideas, on which to go for?

duke's grocery / agora / bua

« Reply #662 on: November 17, 2016, 09:50:26 am »
I can't believe Utopia closed.. that was my first favorite restaurant in DC.. still couldn't be beat on a good night...
I do miss that place
slack

Yada

« Reply #663 on: November 17, 2016, 09:59:29 am »
never,mind . . . I think I found three choices, that I will check out to see which is the best.

any ideas, on which to go for?

duke's grocery / agora / bua

never heard of bua, but the first two are good options... or go to Pizza Paradiso and stare at the beers you can't have.

« Reply #664 on: November 17, 2016, 10:13:24 am »
BTW hank's oyster bar Dupont looks open at that time too and I think they have great food/service too
slack

walkie,talkie

« Reply #665 on: November 17, 2016, 10:16:01 am »
I was never impressed with p.p.  it's a snobby beer joint where people judge each other, moreso than judging the beers . . . and really, when I go to dc to have something good to eat, why would I want a stupid pizza.

and I love side,hatch.  "I think" they have good service and food.

Thanks, yada.  I can always count on your opinions. My goal is just to ask the concierge of the hotel we're staying at for their opinion or just go check out all three places and see what menu looks the best and what decor speaks to me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:23:16 am by walkie,talkie »

« Reply #666 on: November 17, 2016, 10:46:31 am »

and I love side,hatch.  "I think" they have good service and food.

replace that with "I know" they have good food/service as I ate there a few weeks back and loved my oysters/burger/drinks

Also the Tabbard Inn has GREAT food and a really cool atmosphere
slack

walkie,talkie

« Reply #667 on: November 17, 2016, 10:50:29 am »
Coolio. Thanks.

edit, tabbard out. they close from 2 to 5.  looked nice, though. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:03:27 am by walkie,talkie »

K8teebug

« Reply #668 on: November 18, 2016, 10:24:47 am »
Anyone else going to Oyster Riot?

Relaxer

« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2016, 11:04:34 am »
I can't believe Utopia closed.. that was my first favorite restaurant in DC.. still couldn't be beat on a good night...
I do miss that place

Oh crap, I didn't know this. Utopia was always my go-to place when I wanted to give out-of-towners or hot chicks a quality dinner in a supercool environment. what a bummer
oword

walkie,talkie

« Reply #670 on: November 18, 2016, 11:14:18 am »
Duke's grocery, was INCREDIBLE.  New, favorite for dupont.

« Reply #671 on: November 18, 2016, 11:24:54 am »
I do miss that place

Oh crap, I didn't know this. Utopia was always my go-to place when I wanted to give out-of-towners or hot chicks a quality dinner in a supercool environment. what a bummer

the owner Jamal was also really nice...apparently it's been closed for a few years
http://www.popville.com/2014/02/has-utopia-closed-permanently-on-u-street/

was planning on reopening, but guess that didn't happen
http://www.capitalbop.com/news-sunday-is-utopias-last-night-of-music-before-closing-future-as-jazz-venue-uncertain/

shame
slack

walkie,talkie

« Reply #672 on: January 11, 2017, 11:41:06 pm »
Taco Bell has officially released Nationwide a chicken shell taco which means instead of a taco shell it is chicken.

hutch

« Reply #673 on: January 12, 2017, 12:13:54 am »
I do miss that place

wow I had to check to make sure I had not written that.....

I'm only sorry I did not know it was closing.. I would have gone one final time...

I can see why Jamal would have simply retired or moved on... .... I'm not sure what the allure would have been in reopening in the super gentrified new DC....

Jamal was a very cool man.. I could go years not going there and if I showed up he'd come over and chat... I caught some good jazz and brazilian music there too... and saw Pam Bricker there many times before she recorded with Thievery and after.. always made me sad she died...

many of the places I used to hang out in DC have closed..

wow researching on the web looks like Jamal reopened in Georgia?? not sure what this is... he may have other restaurants of course

http://northfulton.com/stories/Utopia-gastro-pub-blends-art-taste-class,62919
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:23:48 am by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #674 on: January 12, 2017, 12:23:24 am »
so

I think he moved to Duluth, GA....and promptly got arrested for drunk driving... there are advantages to living in DC such as walking home...

I never would have called him moving to Duluth!... I guess maybe he didn't own the spot where Utopia was...who knows...

I had some real good times at that place