Author Topic: The Lou Reed Appreciation Thread  (Read 52583 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
The Lou Reed Appreciation Thread
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »
So sad over this.  Rip to one of my most favorite artists ever, hands down. 

hutch

Re: The Lou Reed Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »
absolutely... major bummer.... struggling for the words on this one...

I was majorly shocked even though I knew he'd had a liver transplant earlier this year...

when I saw him the last time at the club (my only time)  I remember thinking he didn't look so great and he had a senior moment ......but I enjoyed the show.. of course I was in awe like "THAT IS LOU REED STANDING 10 feet away!"

people like Lou you grow up with them and they're like a part of your family..

I want to say Lou to me represents the seedy dark underbelly of life... in some ways the idea of Lou Reed is already kind of dead because of the way society has developed...but I won't cause I'm not sure it makes any sense..

hutch

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 08:24:43 pm »
in the end I could not make the Sparks show....god I hate the early shows...

I'll be home spinning my Lou /VU records and watching the World Series..

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:43:53 pm »
Wow, really wasn't expecting this one for some reason.  He's been very active lately.
I bet more people saw lou live in his 60's than ever saw him in the 60's

Lou... NYC incarnate, gateway drug to the subversive and just so damn f'n cool.

I really never got deep into his solo stuff, but the 4 albums they he was a part of with VU have placed an indelible mark across my music appreciation.
Well, Transformer has never left the heavy rotation list either.

My introduction (besides WotWS) was in the early 90's.  Close to 25 years after the music was recorded and I was in awe and really have never lost my reverence for those albums.  It is a rare bird that can be so timeless.  They do not sound one bit dated to me. 

It wasn't until later I learned that nearly every one of the artists I'd liked for the last 30 years were all citing him as an influence. 

I saw him at the 9:30 about 10 years ago and that had to be one of my favorite 9:30 experiences and just live music in general.  He was rocking and just played all the songs I wanted to hear from VU and his solo stuff. Again, was so damn F'n cool up there in his 60's.

I do wish the whole VU crew mended their ways before people started dying. 

A giant has fallen and all we have to look are his spectacular footprints
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:28:13 pm »
in the end I could not make the Sparks show....god I hate the early shows...

I'll be home spinning my Lou /VU records and watching the World Series..

Heard the news right before Sparks went on.
Don't know if it tainted the show for me, but I would have rather been home doing the same.
'New York' does it for me.
That 9:30 show was way cool.

hutch

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 10:40:40 pm »
Wow, really wasn't expecting this one for some reason.  He's been very active lately.

what? we haven't heard a peep from him since his liver transplant in April!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 11:00:39 pm »
I saw him at the 9:30 about 10 years ago and that had to be one of my favorite 9:30 experiences and just live music in general. 
ah, I date myself, it was 1998 shortly after Fully Loaded was released.
the setlist was stellar Lou 930 98
slack

hutch

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 11:37:29 pm »
it was good what we did yesterday and I'd do it once again
the fact that we are married only proves you're my best friend
but its truly truly a sin

Mobius

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 12:16:10 am »
VU catalog and Transformer were the gateway drugs.  Dylan was the first rock poet.  Lou Reed was the first rock fine artist.

First time I ever heard of Lou Reed was randomly watching Letterman back in 1986.  Letterman introduced him as one of the legends in music history and then he played 'Mistrial'.  I was 13 and into music and I couldn't believe this guy I never heard of playing this song was some kind of legend . . . but damn he seemed cool.  My first VU phase started soon after

Saw Lou Reed at Merriweather on the New York tour in 1989.  Amazing show.  Dion opened.  My friend and i snuck down to about the 10th row.  He played played most of, if not all of New York then played the classics with excellent backing band.  Wonderful night.

First show I ever went to at the new 9:30 Club was Lou Reed in 1996.  Hearing the songs live again were like revisiting old friends.  Another fantastic show with Lou in great spirits and a great vibe all around.  It was fun to see a healthy and happy looking Lou Reed play Heroin and either before or after joked about the song 'I don't even smoke cigarettes anymore'.

Saw him one more time at the National in Richmond in 2008.  A smoking show with his old guitarist from the Rock and Roll Animal era (forget his name) going off on every song.   I had a shit-eating grin from start to finish.

R.I.P.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:42:26 am by Mobius »

rich_WDC

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 02:54:00 am »
In my top 20 shows of all time:
3/13/89 at the Warner
(New York tour)

Unsanity

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 05:46:18 am »
I was just listening to his early solo albums a few weeks ago. They're all sooo good! Lou was a one of a kind. R.I.P.

K8teebug

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 09:02:04 am »
I am so sad today!  One of my favorite shows ever was seeing him in August of 1998 at the old Bohagers.  I sat up in the balcony and he played Pale Blue Eyes.

So many good memories of driving around listening to his music with my friends.

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:05 am »
First show I ever saw at The National in RVA was Lou Reed. It was astonishing. I will always remember that encore with Pale Blue Eyes, it was worth the price of the ticket alone.

VU + Nico is maybe the best record ever. Sad news yesterday.
LVMH

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 10:04:35 am »
He NEVER repeated himself.  He never rested on his past works or achievements. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:45 am »
i was going to say something mean about his liver and how . . . but i wont, because a man died.  a great man.  a man i worshipped.  a man that mattered.  a man that changed music.  how many men can you say did that.  how many men can you remember their name.  how many men, just didnt give a fuck.