Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 30159 times)

vansmack

Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 03:17:40 pm »
i heard the i pad destroyed the e book reader world.  is that true?

destroyed as in . . . why buy the others when i pad can do it and so much more.

July 19: "We?ve reached a tipping point with the new price of Kindle?the growth rate of Kindle device unit sales has tripled since we lowered the price from $259 to $189."

The Kindle has also seen an improvement in sales in each month since the iPad came out.  I think there were a lot of people who were waiting for the iPad to see how it would work as a reader.  Most people have siad it's fine for short periods of time, but avid readers have decided on the E-ink screen (and Amazon's price point).

As the article states, Amazon's Kindle service (available on the iPad) has flourished because their e-books are available on many platforms, including the Kindle reader and mobile phones.  That was the point of my post.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 03:45:05 pm »
i heard the i pad destroyed the e book reader world.  is that true?

destroyed as in . . . why buy the others when i pad can do it and so much more.

July 19: "We?ve reached a tipping point with the new price of Kindle?the growth rate of Kindle device unit sales has tripled since we lowered the price from $259 to $189."

The Kindle has also seen an improvement in sales in each month since the iPad came out.  I think there were a lot of people who were waiting for the iPad to see how it would work as a reader.  Most people have siad it's fine for short periods of time, but avid readers have decided on the E-ink screen (and Amazon's price point).

As the article states, Amazon's Kindle service (available on the iPad) has flourished because their e-books are available on many platforms, including the Kindle reader and mobile phones.  That was the point of my post.

i guess the point of my post . . .  was that i don't read.   ;D

vansmack

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 03:53:34 pm »
i guess the point of my post . . .  was that i don't read.   ;D

An iPad is perfect for you.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »
I'm going to be getting either a Kindle or Nook or some sort of reader for xmas.  I have no need to do anything besides read e-books on the device.  Are the available libraries (amazon/barnes &noble) for these devices comparable?  Or should hardware/aesthetics be the deciding factor here.  I've looked a bit online and can't find anything comparing the ebook selections at Amazon and B&N.

vansmack

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2011, 05:39:52 pm »
I'm going to be getting either a Kindle or Nook or some sort of reader for xmas.  I have no need to do anything besides read e-books on the device.  Are the available libraries (amazon/barnes &noble) for these devices comparable?  Or should hardware/aesthetics be the deciding factor here.  I've looked a bit online and can't find anything comparing the ebook selections at Amazon and B&N.

I just sold my second generation Kindle and ordered the Kindle Touch (w/ special offers) which I have been waiting for for some time.

I think the libraries are very close but what I liked the Amazon product over B&N is the public library checkout of books (if your library supports it, mine only currently supports Amazon) and the one free book a month for Amazon prime subscribers (of which I'm a subscriber).

Honestly, pick 10 books you're likely to read in the next year and see which company has more of them available and at what price.  Then check you local library and see if they support e-Pub (Nook) or OverDrive (Kindle).
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »

I just sold my second generation Kindle and ordered the Kindle Touch (w/ special offers) which I have been waiting for for some time.

I think the libraries are very close but what I liked the Amazon product over B&N is the public library checkout of books (if your library supports it, mine only currently supports Amazon) and the one free book a month for Amazon prime subscribers (of which I'm a subscriber).

Honestly, pick 10 books you're likely to read in the next year and see which company has more of them available and at what price.  Then check you local library and see if they support e-Pub (Nook) or OverDrive (Kindle).
Thanks a ton.  I didn't know about that e-pub/overdrive thing.  My library does overdrive.  Kindle it is.  Thanks!

vansmack

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:28 pm »
Kindle it is.  Thanks!

No problem - if you're only doing reading, than stay away from the Kindle Fire - your eyes will thank me for it later.  If you want a browser, movies, TV and music..than look at the Fire.

I went with the Touch because I never used my keyboard (I purchased all my books via a web browser and pushed them to the device) and I also rarely NEEDED the 3G (wifi would have been sufficient 99% of the time).  It actually would have been cheaper for me overseas if I had wifi instead of paying international rates for data (my 2nd Gen only had 3G).

On the w/ offers, for paying less for your Kindle, Amazon will put ads as the screensaver (replacing the photos of authors if you've seen other Kindles) and a banner ad at the bottom of the Home screen (essentially you table of books on the device).  It does not popup when you read nor are the banner ads at the bottom of open books.  I was opposed to the "with offers" version originally, but there is a guy on another forum I read that has kept track of the money he saves by using the offers and has nearly paid off the price of his Kindle with the money he saved by purchasing the offers ($10 for a $20 Amazon Gift Card, buy one Mp3 Album, get one free, etc.).  It kind of sounds like it might be a pretty good deal.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »
is kindle still "relevant"?  my significant other male friend has had one for awhile, and i notice he uses it less.  same with those silly ipod things.  but he claims he still loves it.  as a pretend writer who wants to be published, even if in highlights magazine (that'd go over) to start, has the kindle or just general download dominant market that "changed the landscape of publishing" still rain supreme?  i know that the online downloadable market is here to stay and it can be made profitable if done correctly, but i still hate it.  any news of it having a retreat makes me smile.

vansmack

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 06:37:45 pm »
...because when I think of relevancy, I think to myself, "I wonder what's happening in the house of Walkonby and his husband."
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2011, 06:39:58 pm »
everyone is relevant . . . when i realized that, it all became easier.  i think i just recently realized that, by the way.